Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Mandrake as a Perfume Note?

As far as I know, there are only two perfumes that list mandrake as a perfume note: Yves Saint Laurent M7 and Annick Goutal Mandragore. ('Mandragore' is actually the French word for mandrake.)

You may want to read what I recently posted to my Basenotes blog about M7 and mandrake lore (See here.)

I realized that I have no idea what mandrake root smells like, or whether the note is produced from natural or synthetic ingredients. The note is so rare in perfumes (and so exotic, I suspect) that no book on perfumery I've ever seen has listed it as a perfume note. Sometimes I wonder whether it might be a "fantasy note" (i. e., one that's listed just to evoke a feeling or an association, without any real odorous substance behind it). Yet, in the Song of Songs (7:13, King James Version), we have this:
    "The mandrakes send out their fragrance,
    and at our door is every delicacy,
    both new and old,
    that I have stored up for you, my lover."
    In addition to the things I mention about mandrake lore in the blog entry I referred to earlier, there are other curious stories. For example, there is the claim that when a mandrake root is pulled from the ground it utters a shriek that kills the person unearthing it. (Remember in the Harry Potter series, that when repotting mandrakes, the Hogwarts students had to wear earmuffs to avoid being killed by the mandrakes' screams.) Another bizarre legend is that mandrakes are not seeded from other mandrake plants, but rather that they grow where the semen of a hanged man has fallen on the ground.

Anyway, my questions are these:

Does anybody know of other scents which have mandrake listed in the pyramid?

Do you think there is a distinctive note in commom between M7 and Mandragore?

Has anybody ever seen any mention of mandrake in books on perfumery?

Thanks in advance for any replies, tips, hints, etc.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 17th December 2008 at 12:26 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Default Re: Mandrake as a Perfume Note?

Gatsby by Parfums Pacoma
    One Click by Parfums Kesling

Thnx for this wonderful Insight Jaime! appreciate it.

Mandrake root has such a reputation! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrake_(plant) used in witchcrafts and considered to be evil! alrite!

from what i grabbed, it smells earthy and dark ..cant really pinpoint on the note in M7 though...however, i'm pretty positive, one of the MPG's has it..im sure i read it somewhere...

would love to know more as this is supposed ot be a key ingredient in M7

I've seen the root for sale... I sent away for this occult catalog years ago and it contained all sorts of amusing things like that! I loved the names of some of the vodoun potions.

I kind of wish I'd gotten one now - I might be able to tell you what it smells like! I've never seen the oil for sale.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 17th December 2008 at 07:25 AM.

When I saw the word "mandrake", I thought AG Mandragore (of which I have a 'mini' bottle). For what it might be worth, Luca Turin had a blog in which he's written about AG Mandragore (along with Duel):

Watercolors…The creations of Isabelle Doyen at Annick Goutal are the mosk skilful watercolors around, best appreciated if you understand the intent behind them: Subtle, disconcerting, totally transparent accords. They do not stick to the three-movement top-heart-bottom structure of classic perfumery, do not necessarily last for days and certainly never raise their voice…Mandragore has an odd combination of bergamot and violets that by sleight-of-nose smells like lavender and iris, but without being trite or sad…Duel….Both work beautifully on women as well as on men.

I actually have no an idea of what mandrake itself smells like, though.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Thanks, guys, for the responses. I checked on the ones hednic mentions, and I found references to Gatsby, but no indications of a scent pyramid anywhere; that's too bad, because it would have been nice to see all the other notes that go along with the mandrake. The other one hednic mentions, One Click, didn't seem to ring a bell with Google.

Any others?
    Last edited by JaimeB; 18th December 2008 at 09:07 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

found a site where you can buy mandrake root, http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/sea...words=Mandrake
    no idea of the authenticity though. could be useful for understanding the note in isolation. it's less than four dollars.