Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Question for the guys -- do you like/dislike white flower perfumes?

Do you like any white-flowery, indolic scents, a la Carnal Flower, Joy, etc? (To wear or on others.) My DH loathes them and now I'm wondering, does this reflect a typical male reaction or is it personal? (Some women seem to love indoles -- not sure about men.) Figure this is a good place to find out!

Default Re: Question for the guys -- do you like/dislike white flower perfumes?

There was a time here when Carnal Flower was the very it scent for men to wear. Everyone here was wearing and praising it. Maybe some of those members will speak up. Doesn't sound to me like your husband's reaction should be necessarily typical.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

Love white florals, though I don't think I'm a 'typical' male (whatever that means).

My newest favorite is Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford. Perhaps the 'butchest' version of a gardenia I've ever smelled. Indoles, skanky almost oily in texture, like Roquefort cheese. Not for the fainthearted.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I am not a big fan of tuberose but I own (and enjoy) Fracas and Richard James Savile Row,

At least one source (Perfume Intelligence) lists tuberose as a middle note in Derby, my favorite Guerlain.

My favorite Soft Oriental, the ambery incensey Winter Star, has a lot of indole in it.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 17th December 2008 at 02:00 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I love white florals!

Of course, as with any category, it depends on the fragrance - I love the tuberose in Carnal Flower; hate the cold, anemic faux-tuberose note in Vierges Et Toreros. In general, though, I have a great fondness for tuberose.

I love gardenia, but I've very rarely smelled it well-done. Kai was a disaster on me - totally unlike the real thing, or any flower that grows outside of air-fresheners. Michael Storer's Stephanie did a decent job, but it was still off and a bit watery and distorted. It's beautiful, but the difference between it and the real thing is still as wide as that between Les Demoiselles d'Avignon and real women.

Jasmine can be nice, and I love the natural absolute, but I don't have enough experience of it fragrances to say. Too often I've smelled "fruity-floral" jasmine, which doesn't jive with me.

If muguet is a white floral, then yes, I like it. Same goes for orange blossom, if it smells natural, which could also be said for lilac. There are some floral notes I don't have enough experience with to say - narcissus, hyacinth etc.

I especially like white florals in orientals. Ayala Moriel combines two of my favorite notes - tuberose and myrrh - in her Razala, and the effect is both beautiful and unorthodox.

Off-Scenter

I enjoy white flower scents on my wife, and I especially like the "dirtier," more indolic ones for myself. I frequently wear Carnal Flower and Une Fleur de Cassie and keep bottles of both.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Love white florals, though I don't think I'm a 'typical' male (whatever that means).
    I don't think most males outside of Basenotes would even know what an indolic white floral was!

My newest favorite is Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford. Perhaps the 'butchest' version of a gardenia I've ever smelled. Indoles, skanky almost oily in texture, like Roquefort cheese. Not for the fainthearted.
    Your descriptions of the florals from this line tempt me... I think my next TPC order may have to include a TF sample set.

I have no objections to wearing a white floral, I just haven't found too many I like because I don't like floral/sweet fragrances. Is violet considered a white floral? If so I very much enjoy SMN Violette because it's not sweet. I love Givenchy III, Diorama and Diorella, but those are much more floral chypres. I also have a white floral, Un Fleur de Chanel that I occasionally wear.

Rose and Jasmine based scents always have my vote...be it the wonderful Fleur Du male or Fleur de Oranger ...i also love tuberose based scents like Un Cedre by serge lutens...it's not hard for me to imagine some men not taking white floral based scents to liking immediately...i wudnt have, before basenotes. but now, my perspective for scents have changed altogether...its just the matter of keeping an open mind to scents and leaving behind any association it comes with...maybe you could help ur hubby feel comfortable around these scents? maybe start with something which doesnt come out strong as a feminine scent, Dior Eau Suavage probably?

White floral fragrances often smell like the equivalent of a police siren if overdone. There's a woman in my building who baths in Carnal Flower, the scent scares all living things away. White florals are very tricky. I think they're repulsive to most. I enjoy them in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    There's a woman in my building who baths in Carnal Flower, the scent scares all living things away.
    I want to live in your building!

I really love jasmine in particular, and there are jasmine perfumes that are pretty aggressive, and not sweet at all, or at least not in the conventional powdery way that florals can be sweet. I love wearing Serge Lutens' oft-maligned ("death by jasmine") A la Nuit. Certain white florals, worn close to the skin, can give the same sort of powerful introvert vibe that musks do at low doses.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I will speak for my husband-- he hates indolic jasmine and picks it out right away in any fragrance I try on.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

(Not that I like it either.)

Smile Re: Question for the guys -- do you like/dislike white flower perfumes?

Absolutely, i love flower perfumes, since i feel confortable wearing the fragrance.
    Today i am wearing CARNAL FLOWER and it is a gem !
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Certain white florals, worn close to the skin, can give the same sort of powerful introvert vibe that musks do at low doses.
    I like that "powerful introvert" idea. I guess "not overdoing" as Ruggles suggests would at least help me feel less conspicuous when wearing my two w.f.'s which are Amoureuse and Fleur de Cassie. But I think there's something to the joke people are making here that male BNer's may have a different level of tolerance for all kinds of olfactory intensity. 30 Roses DH and mine might be having the "typical guy" reaction.

Jenson's Eau Sauvage idea won't work because he also hates any classic smelling men's perfume. He likes soft dark twisty things -- almost everything he wears is called "noire" or black!

Razala sounds amazing. Is there any lasting power on it? I might have to order. Ditto Winter Star.

I don't think I really get gardenia yet. There's a store around me called Enfleurage that someone on the web said had the greatest gardenia extract. I think I'll go get some and try it out -- maybe someone wants a sniff too?

Thanks for enlightening!

I love some floral notes, specially when they're not the sweet and doll-like ones. I like indolic ones like tuberose, gardenia, night-jasmine (the one caught by night with a particular green-indolic edge), bulgarian rose (unsweet, not soapy and slightly indolic) and also piercing green ones like fresia, honeysuckle, hyacinth, muguet and magnolia, and of course also powdery earthy ones like iris and narcissus.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I don't think most males outside of Basenotes would even know what an indolic white floral was!

Your descriptions of the florals from this line tempt me... I think my next TPC order may have to include a TF sample set.
    Most men who smelled an indolic white floral would have two reactions (I'm generalizing, of course): 1. It smells like an old lady 2. It smells like sh*t.

Tom Ford takes a very serious, studied and focused approach to his floral scents. I don't like all of them (Black Violet just doesn't have the oomph I get from other violet favorites), but the ones I love are quite unique. Shame that they're so overpriced and exclusive.

Wow..This sounds....awful
    Guess I'm fainthearted. When it comes to fragrances smelling like Roquefort cheese that is.
    Last edited by brianroy; 17th December 2008 at 12:57 PM.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Funny you mention white flowers. Recently got aware how much I love them - nowhere better than in Guerlain's Vetiver pour Elle. Love the spicy, metallic, heady smell of jasmine, orange flower, honeysuckle, carnation, tuberose. But true, no straight guys that I know of like very floral perfumes, only woody ones.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by brianroy View Post
    Wow..This sounds....awful
    Guess I'm fainthearted. When it comes to fragrances smelling like Roquefort cheese that is.
    LOL. I guess to appreciate it, you might have to smell a real gardenia bush (in the ground) smelled in full bloom on a summer night. I have one right next to my driveway. Get a whiff of that, and it does smell like potent, aged cheese. VG recreates that.

Sur la Plage

I like Fracas and Velvet Gardenia.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut View Post
    I like that "powerful introvert" idea. I guess "not overdoing" as Ruggles suggests would at least help me feel less conspicuous when wearing my two w.f.'s which are Amoureuse and Fleur de Cassie. But I think there's something to the joke people are making here that male BNer's may have a different level of tolerance for all kinds of olfactory intensity. 30 Roses DH and mine might be having the "typical guy" reaction.

Jenson's Eau Sauvage idea won't work because he also hates any classic smelling men's perfume. He likes soft dark twisty things -- almost everything he wears is called "noire" or black!

Razala sounds amazing. Is there any lasting power on it? I might have to order. Ditto Winter Star.
    Razala doesn't have massive sillage, but the longevity is very good, over twelve hours on me. It's a favorite of mine, but I highly recommend sampling it first as it's unusual and expensive.

Winter Star is also great. And with that fragrance... one application lasts forever and has sillage with a twenty-mile radius. You were warned.

LOL. I guess to appreciate it, you might have to smell a real gardenia bush (in the ground) smelled in full bloom on a summer night. I have one right next to my driveway. Get a whiff of that, and it does smell like potent, aged cheese. VG recreates that.
    While my gardenia plant never smelled like cheese, there are these flowering bushes that grow locally - I think they're in the dogwood family - that smell rather like super-spicy, floral pee.

I think they smell kind of wonderful, in an eccentric way, though way too acrid if smelled up close.

Off-Scenter

White floral fragrances often smell like the equivalent of a police siren if overdone. There's a woman in my building who baths in Carnal Flower, the scent scares all living things away. White florals are very tricky. I think they're repulsive to most. I enjoy them in moderation.
    You've hit the nail on the head, Ruggles. White flower scents please me most when applied sparingly - especially on a man. (I'm still training my wife in the business of light application. )

From my wardrobe (60 bottles) and the maybe 1000 frags i ve tested so far in the last 2-3 years, Carnal Flower is the one that I prefer (by far) on me.

I own it , of course, i had to buy it as soon as i sniffed it. No frag had impressed me that much (own it since 6 month now, so it s not like a short love that would last a few days before being bored by it).

Also, it s projection and longevity are absolutely amazing.

And finally, i never garner as many compliments as when i wear it. It works all the time, specially with the women, have much less men compliments. But i guess i can live with it ^^

For some odd reason i don t like Fracas, also done with tuberose. I love Bandit though ^^
    Last edited by Roc_Xel; 17th December 2008 at 09:22 PM.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

I don't tend to like in-your-face white florals, except perhaps as a very natural soliflore (Creed Jasmal is a good one IMO), but men's fragrances with a white floral heart are among the finest - from Dukes of Pall Mall Cotswold (jasmine, muguet) to Richard James EdT (tuberose), to Maxim's (jasmine, muguet) and scores of others.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

i love 'em
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Funny you mention white flowers. Recently got aware how much I love them - nowhere better than in Guerlain's Vetiver pour Elle. Love the spicy, metallic, heady smell of jasmine, orange flower, honeysuckle, carnation, tuberose. But true, no straight guys that I know of like very floral perfumes, only woody ones.
    Hey! that is heterophobia

I like Fleur du Male (perhaps I prefer the original over La cologne just because of its indolic* nature). Carnal Flower is OK. I also enjoy Full Jasmine, Angeliques SOus la Pluie, Neroli by C&S and White Musk, for subtle white flowers. I do not like Puro Lino though, even though I did enjoy it when I first sampled it. I tried to like FLeurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens, but there is something in it that ruins the fragrance for me... I am not sure what it is.

*I had to google** that one
    **Google has always sound somwhat dirty to me. "I am gonna google you! Are you feeling lucky? "
    Last edited by irish; 18th December 2008 at 12:14 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Another straight guy here disputing the above statement. I love and I am very comfy with white florals...

I'm a woman and some indoles (especially jasmine) do have that "poo note" to me, but I wear Grasse jasmine easily. Sambac jasmine is also wearable. I can only stand some gardenia scents, as well, but I found one that works beautifully. Try different white florals around your DH, maybe you are just wearing the wrong ones for his olfactory pleasure.

Recommend: Chanel Gardenia (more Grasse jasmine than gardenia) and DSH Giardini Segreti at dshperfumes.com. Floris Lily of the Valley is on my wish list and Santa Maria Novella Orange Blossom is also very nice.
    Last edited by beachroses; 18th December 2008 at 12:50 AM.

Blog Entries

I love white florals. Wish my fiancee would wear more of them. I think lily, orchid and jasmine are my favourites, but tuberose is good too, and orange flower is also nice. I think the last scent I gave a personal 5 stars to was SL Un Lys.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    I tried to like FLeurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens, but there is something in it that ruins the fragrance for me... I am not sure what it is.
    It is the Raid-like drydown! EEEEWWWW!!!
    Sandpaper, Chlorine, Gasoline and a match!
    Last edited by irish; 18th December 2008 at 12:54 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Well, thanks all. I guess the conclusion I have to draw is that WF are totally hit or miss with straight guys, and possibly more popular with gay ones. And that it's probably easier to wear them if you're under thirty so that the dreaded "old lady" vibe can play off the contrast.

Still, I really like my Amoureuse....

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    I'm a woman and some indoles (especially jasmine) do have that "poo note" to me, but I wear Grasse jasmine easily. Sambac jasmine is also wearable. I can only stand some gardenia scents, as well, but I found one that works beautifully. Try different white florals around your DH, maybe you are just wearing the wrong ones for his olfactory pleasure.

Recommend: Chanel Gardenia (more Grasse jasmine than gardenia) and DSH Giardini Segreti at dshperfumes.com. Floris Lily of the Valley is on my wish list and Santa Maria Novella Orange Blossom is also very nice.
    Okay, Beach Roses I'm going to look for these -- haven't tried any of them.

Recounting, it seems that there's actually more weight toward like, even love, than dislike, but people tend to be pretty specific about which WF's are acceptable. I think I should just be conservative with dosage, as suggested. But I think there's also something to Mr. Guerlain's comment that (straight) men often shy away from very flowery perfumes, generally. My husband definitely prefers amber/gourmand/orientals to flowers served straight.

And there's one at our building who wears CF often. I have a great respect for the fragrance itself but one should proceed cautiously with it - you will be noticed!
    Last edited by Delmar; 18th December 2008 at 04:26 AM.

Maybe I only know very boring, generic straight guys damn...
    But to judge from the quite well-assorted male perfume counter in Copenhagen local department stores, there isn't too much profit to make in suggesting white florals to "the guys".

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Hey! that is heterophobia

I like Fleur du Male...

I wear only two: Malle's Carnal Flower (well balanced by eucalyptus and coconut), and Creeds Jasmal (a somewhat indolic but green jasmine). I like the more overt white flower fragrances on my wife, although the aforementioned frags work on her as well (and she prefers them in warm weather).
    -

I enjoy wearing a few, such as Samsara (Guerlain), TL pour Lui (Ted Lapidus), and Always & Forever (Jessica McClintock).

Do I like big loud aldehydic synthetic white flowerbombs ?
    No. they suck.
    Do I like the tasteful use of white flowers in female, and even male (GIT) perfume ?
    Yes, this is acceptable, and in moderation, adds an air of refinement and class to many otherwise Fruity(female) / Aromatic(male) fragrances. Moderation.

Fleur de male, and Kenzo Power is ok..

A general reply is impossible. My reactions meander between love and hate. A floral touch deep in the heart of a masculine can be heavenly, and they may also be white. Although I would hate to wear Carnal Flower myself - if other men enjoy that I won't spoil it by commenting. If I only had one perfume, it would certainly not be Fleur du Male. But wearing an open shirt, Bermudas and Sandals - try that one!
    Last edited by narcus; 21st December 2008 at 04:26 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Today I tried Amoureuse by Parfums DelRae. I copy from me review:
    This is the true "masculine" tuberose. Sort of what I expected when reading about Carnal Flower which disapointed me on the wearability domain. The opening is like putting tuberose and a LOT of grass in a blender. Actually an aetherial blender, a whirlpool, a hurricane. On mys skin it is not heady at all. It is bitter green with the accent on the fume quality of the tuberose, not the headiness. In this sense it is to tuberose what Sarassins is to jasmin. The bitter grassy character persists through the heart of the fragrance and then in the base honey and musk emerge. Only there I could find hints of sweetness or anything that could point towards a feminine character.
    In short, this is a unique tuberose and a must try for Carnal Flower lovers. Big thumbs up.
    NB: White florals usually wear very dry and subdued on my skin. Not Carnal Flower though.
    Last edited by cpk; 30th January 2010 at 01:37 PM.

Nope, I adore my precious lillies and many,many others! One frag I'm obsessed with is "Passage D'Enfer" an intoxicating scent, has my attention at "go" it actually manages to scream "hello!" without ever saying "goodbye" it's white musk lasts ages on me! which I feel lucky to adorn.

Anyway, just letting ya' know on what a majority of us males here think about the precious white florals!

cheers and take care!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I love smelling the actual jasmine and tuberose. My parents have jasmine in their garden and my mother sometimes place some on the table or in the wardrobe. I have no problem wearing jasmine or tuberose scents, but my wife would mind.

I enjoy white florals, too.

The only floral scents I've tried are Rose en Noir by Miller Harris and Kenzo Power.. both of which I enjoy.

Banned

It depends on the style of the white flower fragrance. As many others, I enjoy Carnal Flower. Also, Tubereuse Criminelle, Jardenia, and Tubereuse 40. In particular white flower perfumes (white flower chypres) that are sweet with aldehydes and/or citrus are way too feminine for my liking.

Love, when the note itself is subtle (Amouage Gold men, Coco Chanel)

Hate, when it is prominent (Creed Fantasia de Fleurs, which I love and respect, and Fleur du Male, which I detest and hate)

I like Jasmines, from Alien to A La Nuit. I hate all the other white flowers, like tuberose.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

hard to give a specific answer. In general I'm not a huge fan of white florals, but am ok with Rose or Jasmine. The pure white powdery ones are a no for me, more then just "because it smells girly", I actually don't like the smell at all. so it could actually just be a guy thing across the board.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I love the smell of fresh night blooming jasmine but have not found it in bottled form that I would enjoy wearing, or smelling for that matter.

It depends... I do love some female, unisex and even male floral frags and I cannot stop wondering how floral notes often do not annihilate or overpower a male frag, but actually often make it smell "darker", richer, more mysterious and undeniably manly

A year since this thread began, and I still love white flowers.

White Florals I love:

Tubereuse Criminelle
    Carnal Flower
    PC Tuberose Gardenia
    Fracas
    Tubereuse Couture

( Any guesses about my favorite flower? )

White Florals I respect:

White Potion
    CdG Daphne
    Sarrasins
    A La Nuit
    Amaranthine
    Olene
    Jasmin Et Cigarette
    Manoumalia

White florals I find scary and/or disappointing:

Velvet Gardenia
    Champaca Absolute
    Osmanthus ( Ormonde Jayne's - though, she was really nice in sending out free samples! )
    Kai
    Gardenia Passion
    Boucheron Femme
    PC Jasmine White Moss

White Florals I can't wait to try:

HdP's Tuberose Series ( !!! )
    Amoureuse ( a sample is on the way )
    Drama Nuui
    A Travers Le Miroir ( I can never seem to find this... )

It's a funny category 'white floral'. Do people ever talk about 'yellow floral' or 'pink floral'? And if they did... what then?

I assume that most folks realize that there's no relationship between the color of the flower and it's smell. But probably I assume too much. OK, I just wanted to get that off my chest. I like floral fragrances, and I'm pretty 'color-blind' about it.

Just the same (and as we all know) 'male florals' are few and farm between, and most 'female florals' are nearly impossible for men to wear in public without stares or snickers. But I've picked up a lot of different florals along the way, and I'll probably get more, even if I won't be wearing them to work. I'm not afraid of flowers.

It's a big list.... rose, jasmine, gardenia, lily, tuberose, trailing arbutus, daffodil... wouldn't it be something if the next big fashion to hit perfumery was the 'male floral'? Can you imagine the opportunity for innovation and profit (!)

By the way, I think rose could be used a lot more in male fragrance, and not rock the boat too much.

Late-Hit

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    I love the smell of fresh night blooming jasmine but have not found it in bottled form that I would enjoy wearing, or smelling for that matter.
    Very common scent in LA. You can smell it everywhere in the springtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Late-Hit View Post
    Just the same (and as we all know) 'male florals' are few and farm between, and most 'female florals' are nearly impossible for men to wear in public without stares or snickers.
    Not in my experience. I've worn a very luxurious floral - Tubereuse Criminelle - to a presentation I was giving, and not only didn't it receive either stares or snickers, no-one seemed to even notice.

Regardless of the fragrance, I've found unless you plan on having enormous sillage, most people neither care nor rarely even notice what you wear.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 31st January 2010 at 02:44 AM.

While discussing gardenia scents please try Neil Morris Flowers for Men: Gardenia. He takes the headiness out of the gardenia scent by using a strong tart lime note for openers. The gardenia is definitely present but it is also blended with a grass and hay note in the middle followed by patchouli, musk and oud of all things. The oud gives dries the fragrance up a bit. This scent is gardenia all the way but the lime, grass, hay and oud really do make it an unusual men's fragrance. The musk also plays up the indoles from the gardenia. I like it but can not talk myself into buying a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    Then you haven't tried Sarassins. This is the smell of jasmins in the night air, not the smell of the flower. Get a decant ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Late-Hit View Post
    It's a funny category 'white floral'. Do people ever talk about 'yellow floral' or 'pink floral'? And if they did... what then?

I assume that most folks realize that there's no relationship between the color of the flower and it's smell. But probably I assume too much. OK, I just wanted to get that off my chest. I like floral fragrances, and I'm pretty 'color-blind' about it.

Late-Hit
    I don't quite agree. Have you done a side by side of fresh flowers? White freezias for example have a definitive pepper note. White roses smell a lot fresher than red or pink ones. But appart from that I believe the term "white flowers" refers to jasmin, gardenias and relative species witha heavy indolic note. It doesn't actually refer to the color.