Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances that turn color as they age

I can't remember where I've seen people remark about Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir. However, I remember people discussing how there are two colors -- pink and brown.

And one woman interjected that she'd bought a bottle new. When it was new, it was pink. However, the longer she had it, it became darker, such that it was now an orange-brown color.

Has anyone had this experience with Boudoir?

And are there other fragrances that turn color as they age?
    Last edited by Aiona; 17th December 2008 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Vivienne, not Vivien

Default Re: Fragrances that turn color as they age

I remember reading in Trebor's thread about Chergui that Serge Lutens changed the formula because they were aware that the juice changed from brown to green; that is why the juice is currently green. I don't recall the thread name, but it was on the Male Discussion forum and I think it had "Chergui" and "Green" in the title.

Basenotes Institution

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain changes color as it ages (from hay to a light brown). I've noticed this in all of the formulations (EdC, EdT, EdP and parfum).
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    I remember reading in Trebor's thread about Chergui that Serge Lutens changed the formula because they were aware that the juice changed from brown to green; that is why the juice is currently green. I don't recall the thread name, but it was on the Male Discussion forum and I think it had "Chergui" and "Green" in the title.
    I think the current juice is Brown, the older juice is Green though. I have an older bottle and the juice is green.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Here are the Serge Lutens Chergui threads:

Chergui ?
    Chergui - juice now green
    Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

I also found one about Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental:

Vetiver Oriental color differences

Blog Entries

There was a thread by atrac about Ruehl no.925 where he was worried that it was fake - I think the final verdict after a mass picture-posting was that it loses its color easily on exposure to light. Also a pretty funny sidelight about google's indexing of jrd4t's and atrac's avatars on that one.

Blog Entries

Looks like the old Chergui underwent a significant color change when exposed to natural vs fluorescent (I believe) light. I imagine that concerned consumers and prompted the change to a more consistent brown.

I wonder if the other fragrances mentioned here that are more susceptible to changing color over time when exposed to light also degrade more quickly due to exposure.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Color changes are caused by the chemistry that is occuring within the bottle. Certain raw materials natural and synthetic undergo different reactions to produce discoloration. Keeping your fragrances cool and out of the light will slow down these processes!

Frederic Malle En Passant turned orange and when I question FM about it, he said it was due to one of the ingredients they use and the scent wouldn't be compromised by the color change in any way.

Also, Serge Lutens Mandarine Mandarin went from orange to bright orange but that change doesn't seem to have impacted the scent either.

Dinner by Bobo turns even more purple, Angel goes greyish.

I had two 10ml dropper bottles of DbB I had to throw away because half of the contents had evaporated, even when the packages had never been opened and held in dark closet. Luckily the spray bottle is still fine.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I've wondered the same thing. Michael Kors turned from yellowy/straw to orangey amber. I don't think it's affected the scent. So, is it exposure to sun/light? Also, there was a thread somewhere about when fragrances turn "bad". How do you tell? just by smell? Or is it the color change?

Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee turns from pale yellow to dark orange-brown.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=220387

Alot of fragrances will Darken with Age.

If they contain certain chemicals.

Grape fragrances will always change due to Methyl Anthranhilate..
    Your Vanilla/Sweet fragrances containing many crystals such as vanillin and ethyl vannilin will Darken also.

Some fragrances will actually Lighten with Age also

Fragrances containing alot of Orange oil will Lighten.

A fresh Orange oil is Dark Orange and as it ages it tuns light Orange yellow.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    I can't remember where I've seen people remark about Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir. However, I remember people discussing how there are two colors -- pink and brown.

And one woman interjected that she'd bought a bottle new. When it was new, it was pink. However, the longer she had it, it became darker, such that it was now an orange-brown color.

Has anyone had this experience with Boudoir?

And are there other fragrances that turn color as they age?
    My bottle of Boudoir had pink juice when I bought it new and it has now turned a sort of bronze colour.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    My bottle of Boudoir had pink juice when I bought it new and it has now turned a sort of bronze colour.
    So it's true! But does it smell differently? Or the same?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    So it's true! But does it smell differently? Or the same?
    It smells exactly the same
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.