Code of Conduct
    D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

Default Lilac for Christmas

quick help for christmas:

i'd like to get my new girlfriend a nice perfume. without tipping her off, i found out her favorite note is lilac. She only has a few perfumes, but evidently she has yet to acquire a one with lilac as an ingredient. please help me with some suggestions.

Also, I was curious if you wonderful ladies could suggest the best place whereupon i might purchase a nice sized sampler of different perfumes. After receiving your advise my thought was to research different retailers who sold samplers and purchase one from the retailer who carried the most of your suggestions in stock. I was hoping you might lead me in the right direction, especially maybe an online boutique.

Thanks in advance, and happy holidays!
    Anthony

p.s. she likes sweet (but not cloying) scents, and florals. she is 30 years of age and a chic gothic/retro girl.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lilac for Christmas

As to a lilac, Pacifica has a low-priced lilac perfume:
    http://pacificaperfume.com/shop/deta...fragrance_id=9

For samplers, I will let others answer.

I think it may be too late to order from The Perfumed Court--they are running behind on shipping. I have a pending order, and I received only one out of 3 parts more than a week after I placed the order. They do gift certificates, so that is an option.

My all-time favorite lilac fragrance is Frederic Malle's En Passant - lilacs in the morning dew, captured exquisitely. It's very expensive though, and I've only enjoyed it only through samples and decants.

The Perfume Court has a lilac sample set:

http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...ACSAMPLER.aspx

However, I don't know, with the mailing slow-down near Christmas, if it will make it to you in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    My all-time favorite lilac fragrance is Frederic Malle's En Passant - lilacs in the morning dew, captured exquisitely. It's very expensive though, and I've only enjoyed it only through samples and decants.
    Me too, on all counts. I want a bottle some day. EN PASSANT was my first fragrance revelation as a new BNer this last spring. It is exquisite indeed!

Good luck with that search, vulgarrhymester. I think you should e-mail The Perfumed Court and see what they can do for you!

Alfred Sung's Sha smells like lilacs and beautyencounter.com has it on sale for $29.90. I believe it might have been a limited edition, which makes it all the more special, and the bottle would be nice for someone with her taste.

These are the notes: Waterlily, Spring Muguet, Ylang, Dewey Ivy Vine, Frangipani, Jasmin Sambac, Blooming Lilac Tree, Hibiscus Nectar, Cedarwood, Soft Musk, Heliotrope Flower.

Beautyencounter also sells samples of fragrances you can add to your basket. Here's the link to Sha...

http://www.beautyencounter.com/06772...html?synertech

I second the Pacifica suggestion, too, they don't sell samplers but they also have solid perfumes, body creams and their soy votives in the different scents are really nice. You can find it all on pacificacandles.com.

Another interesting way to go is dshperfumes.com, Dawn Spencer Hurwitz designs her own scents and she sells samplers of all of them. She has one called Floraison Mauve, which is a lilac scent in her Essense Oils section. You can call her for more suggestions for samples or pick out some on your own, she's very good and also helpful. (Warning, it could become an addiction.)

https://www.dshperfumes.com/search_result_product.asp
    Last edited by beachroses; 17th December 2008 at 03:56 PM.

I love Ava-Luxe Lilac scent. Also highly recommend Highland Lilac, very true and lovely. My all time favorite was the Mary Chess soliflore, it was bliss. I think Bourbon French sells a lilac soliflore and they are running a sale.

Blog Entries

http://www.highlandlilac.com/store/v...ords&WT.srch=1

This is the perfect soliflore lilac. It is fresh, too, not at all powdery or perfumey.

Annick Goutal; Eau De Camille is a spring-green, fresh white lilac.

Reading everyone's suggestions makes me want a lilac scent now! Caswell Massey makes a pretty nice lilac fragrance. I don't know how it compares to the wonderful suggestions already given, but it is another option at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Reading everyone's suggestions makes me want a lilac scent now!
    Me, too! lol!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

The Highland Lilac website makes it seem as though the flowers are used to make the perfume, but I thought lilac was one of those scents that can only be imitated synthetically because the flowers do not yield their scent-- like muguet and lily and several others.

I will second Zebeline on The Mary Chess White Lilac. I have a almost full 4 oz bottle in it's box stashed in my dresser. A find from the antique store. It is heaven!

I wish I had purchased some of the Mary Chess fragrances when they were available through Cambridge Chemists about 12 years ago. I feel I really missed out on something unique and wonderful.

Caswell-Massey has a big sale going on the website. I forgot about their Lilac. The info is in the discount coupons section. fyi
    Last edited by beachroses; 18th December 2008 at 07:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    The Highland Lilac website makes it seem as though the flowers are used to make the perfume, but I thought lilac was one of those scents that can only be imitated synthetically because the flowers do not yield their scent-- like muguet and lily and several others.
    I think they use the lilac as a model for the synthetic. Purplebird was telling me that she figured it out by reading the fine print.

My favorite true to life lilac is Yves Rocher Pur Desir de Lilas.

As for samplers, Sephora does a deal where you get x samples plus a gift certificate for the store, but most Sephoras will make you up a few samples for free. Some online places for samples are Aedes de Venusta, Luckyscent, BeautyHabit, BeautyCafe.

It's not listed as one of the notes, but Bulgari Omnia Amethyste smells like lilacs to me.