Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Wednesday 17 December

How could I neglect this fragrance when it is so beautiful in this season?

Maria Amalia by Morris

Head notes: Cardamom balsam, lemon peel, ginger roots
    Heart notes: May rose, cinnamon leaves, nutmeg powder
    Base notes: Myrrh and incense, rosewood and patchouli

Have a great Wednesday, all.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Smile Re: SotD Wednesday 17 December

EDITIONS DE PARFUMS FREDERIC MALLE

CARNAL FLOWER ( Dominique Ropion )

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Default Re: SotD Wednesday 17 December

Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum

Morning Star

Morning: Parfum d'Empire Fougère Bengale
    Afternoon: Profumum Acqua di Sale
    Evening: Yves Saint Laurent Kouros

Winter Flowers by Kenzo
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Sur la Plage

Burberry Brit for Men

Top Notes: Green Mandarin, Ginger, Bergamot, Cardamom
    Middle Notes: Wild Roses, Cedarwood, Nutmeg
    Base Notes: Oriental Woods, Grey Musk, Tonka Bean

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

As (very fittingly) chosen by someone (can't remember who... jillsy? ineespenes?) in the pick my SotD thread: Jour de Fête. The tips of my fingers smell like Hiris from filling up a sample though. Interesting combination
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

HABIT ROUGE for a cold but bright day.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Himalaya - Creed

Cuir de russie

Christian Dior, Dune

Astaroth: I'm impressed beyond words over your ability to choose 3 scents for the day at once. I wish I could gauge my mood that far in advance.

Today: Memoire Liquide Ivoire (507?) - soft (really soft) musk with spices. Not a cozy as Cadjmere for me (I need that rosewood). This is more cuppa and biscuits with girlfriends cozy. Nice change for a cold rainy day in a cold, drafty office.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    EDITIONS DE PARFUMS FREDERIC MALLE

CARNAL FLOWER ( Dominique Ropion )

drooling over this, but wearing Chanel no. 5 edt
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Serge Lutens Borneo 1834

Indonesian patchouli, white flowers, cardamom, camphor, cistus, galbanum, cannabis resin, cocoa accord

What a great array of bottles!

Here's my contribution....

...although I don't actually own this bottle.

FIVE STARS in the First Addendum to the Guide!! "A Masterpiece"!

One strange and gorgeous creation. On me the first breath is all citrus and smoke...smoky, "burn pile" smoke...not leaves or rubber. Then there's some ocean breezes and a waft of osmanthus (to me) Then some pungent green over a delicate floral....

...and - a half hour into the wearing - it's still evolving.....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Good morning all.I feel extremely tired today! I need to do some laundry today I think.I leave for my mom's place in less than a week and haven't even started thinking about what to bring yet! Sotd is Allure.This scent has been very neglected lately! hope you all have agreat day!

Basenotes Plus

Le 3eme Homme de Caron -- and I have already received a compliment

Happy Wednesday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

First snow here at Stately Somerville Manor. The wild poodles have been out wrestling in it. They love the snow. My wife and I joke about training a team of wild poodles for the Iditarod.
    I hope everyone is managing to keep the bugs at bay as they always have a tendency to sneak up on us at this time of year with too much hilarity and not enough sleep.

Today I am wearing a new sample:

Tauer Incense Rose'

OMG!!! This is love at first sniff. This is full-on strong frankincense from the top. One of the strongest incense openings I've worn to date. This would not be one for those who like their incense muted as this comes on with all the subtlety of a trumpet fanfare. Then oh so slowly this lush deep rose peeks out from behind the censer and mingles with it before taking the lead. As this develops down to a cedar base the patchouli which has been there all along becomes a little more pronounced. This is an incredible scent on me.

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 17th December 2008 at 11:26 AM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

SMM- Bring on ze wild poodles !!! You KNOW I want to be the Iditarod lady, LOL...that's been a longtime fantasy of mine.
    I'm not surprised you love IR- it's got your name on it.
    [I suspect that you have 'incense-eating skin', at any rate ]

I'm in a very beautiful Meister cioncoction- more than the sum of its parts.
    Take YR Iris Noir, and gently spritz over Madini Musk Pierre..
    WHY ?
    Because, the effect is stunning; harkens the nostrils back to insinuations of L'Heure Bleue extrait, PG's Bois de Copaiba. Adds a slightly fruity aspect [ as opposed to woody] of iris to a heavily resinous tonka base, compliments the ambrette seed in the IN.
    Very longlasting, very inexpensive, smells VERY costly.

Have a good day-
    And be WELL.

Le Baiser; warm, rich, luxurious for about fifteen minutes. And now nothing. Very disappointing.

Snow in Boston! Am in sandalwood and pale, exotic floral paradise (and thinking of Bossanova Boy, the only other BNer I've found who owns/knows of this fragrance) wearing Essence of Jerusalem.

Happy day to all.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Quote Originally Posted by MBDevine View Post
    Today: Memoire Liquide Ivoire (507?) - soft (really soft) musk with spices.
    That name is so full of loaded words that it makes me want to try it. I second the amazement at the beautiful-bottles today, Taolady!

Today, I very much want to triple test
    Balenciega's Rumba, Neil Morris' Prowl, and Norell (no longer made by Norell, but by Five Star Fragrances). I hope I don't kill anyone today with my stench.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

SotD is Guerlain Eau de Guerlain. As deliciously green as they come..

Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Basenotes Institution

L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Cologne) by Guerlain

A LA NUIT by Serge Lutens

Chypre Rouge: Pine and pecans in Santa's Workshop, eccentric division.

I've almost worn this for a couple days now, so figured I'd just give in and let it have Wednesday.

Bond No. 9 Wall Street

I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I am wearing the wonderful Bois d'Armenie, perfect for the slow, rainy sleet that envelops NY. This may be the only fragrance that for me is utterly seasonal. I have never worn it in summer, but as I am one-third down my bottle, I seem to love it in the cold.

Good morning! I'm sampling Caron PARFUM SACRE today. This one is special - I can tell already. For others new to this one, here are the notes (from TPC): vanilla, myrrh, civet, cedarwood, lemon, pepper, mace, cardamom, orange blossom, rose, jasmine, and rosewood.

Seems to go well with my rose-colored cardigan and freshwater pearl necklace...

Well, I had my heart set on No. 5 (parfum) and thought my bottle was at work, but no, it must be at home. So, choosing from what I had at work, it's Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory.

For some reason I am obliged to type out the full name. That's the pedant in me, I guess.

I was wanting to wear this sometime soon anyway.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Winter Star on a cold snowy day.

NRFH body cream and lotion today, no perfume thus far. I will rectify that this evening.

Just came back from an interview with my local school district for a teaching position. Bleh. I hate interviews. I always feel like kicking myself afterward for not saying as much as I should have, or else saying too much...chattering. Well...I did my best. Hopefully, I didn't make too big of an idiot out of myself and they'll hire me for the next school year. Supposedly we're not reducing our teaching workforce here...yet. I've just spritzed on Guerlain's Insolence (from a decant Musse sent me). It's giving me a lift and restoring my humor. This fragrance has really grown on me. In 2009: nothing but Guerlains! (kidding). I hope everyone is having a good day.

L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer, in the mood for incense

Olivier Durbano - Black Tourmaline

Occasionally (mostly on cold and damp days), I find myself really craving this warm, woody, smoky scent with its campfire opening.

Too bad SO hates this so much. So I wear it to work instead
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

LilyBelle, I feel your pain. I think I stick with my current job just to avoid the interview process! Fortunately I have been able to transfer around the hospital pretty much at will (one psy unit is pretty much like another in terms of duties), but the idea of going through job interviews ties me to my facility!

I have to go in early for a yearly training and am wearing a KM Jasmine for the rest of the day.

snow, snow and more snow.
    it's gorgeous out.
    Now that the sun is out, it's perfect for L'eau D'hiver...
    but I'm wearing Sienne L'hiver -- which is just fitting too!

gosh Riannon, that's a beautiful bottle.
    Last edited by dimples; 17th December 2008 at 04:05 PM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Cozy in Tea for Two, thanks to Lian's suggestion the Pick My SotD thread.
    Sniff and let sniff.

I got an incredibly generous package today. Really amazing...So now I am testing, and testing...
    So far I tried a tiny bit of Habanita, Orange Blossom by Yves Rocher, Oriental Summer by Celine, Lann Ael by Lostmarc'h and now I am wearing:
    Vanille Givree des Antilles by La Maison de la Vanille (a think it is maybe more suitable for a man).
    Is it too much?? I am home alone...

Czech & Speake • No. 88

Basenotes Plus

Robert Piguet VISA edp on this snowy day.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Lilybelle, I'll bet you did better than you think. I think the definition of an interview should include ". . . and walking out of there, thinking, "And then, I should have said. . . ."

Haunani, that's really cool your skin brings out the salt in Cabaret. Darn skin chemistry! The only time I get salt with rose is with Ecume de Rose, and then only slightly.

I have an interview today, but it's for a part-time job that's really mor for fun than the money, so I'm not really attached to the end result. Still, it's been a long tijme since I've had a formal interview. I'm thinking a subtle, clean-ish fragrance should be O.K., if sprayed a few hours before. O.K., I'm reaching for JM White Jasmine & Mint..

Have a good day, all.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Belle en Rykiel for me today.

L de Lolita Lempicka for a snowy but bright day. I can see this one being a lovely scent on some, but I think it might be a little too sweet for me. I bought it for the bottle, primarily. :O

Just checking in on you all to imagine how sweet you're smelling. Me, still scentless and sniffling here on a rainy day. I've considered a smidge of Habanita, but worry it will set off a sneeze attack; so, I'm back to the prudent choice of virtual sniffing!
    :brolly:
    Have a great day!

Dioressence (Christian Dior)

R de Capucci

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

My sympathies, Lilybelle. I too had an interview today. At my last interview I wore Green Irish Tweed and got rejected, so today I reached for the constrained chic of Kelly Calèche.

My goodness, this one's a grower -- I loathed it when I first tried it. A 'watery' leather, and so cleverly contructed. Just a dash applied early this morning is still going strong some ten hours later.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm a bit late getting a fragrance on today:

Rosine Écume de Rose. This is easy to wear, comfortable, inoffensive. Modest sillage.

Edit: Several hours later my husband came home, took one appreciative whiff and declared that he liked it. I only have a sample but so far this is the best Rosine for me.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 17th December 2008 at 11:38 PM.

After reading POL about layering Black Cashmere with Cashmere Mist, that's what I'm wearing now.

It's a strange and not very pleasant combination. I smell like blocked drains. In future I'll use one or the other, perhaps layering the Mist with something else, but not with the Black. Perhaps I should give it more time. I'm known to change my mind.

Riannon's thread opener has me searching for my Maria Amalia. I might wear that tomorrow.
    Last edited by Sestra; 17th December 2008 at 06:40 PM.

Les Nereides Patchouli Antique and really noticing the vanilla in it today. When I wear this it's my fave patchouli, when I wear Mazzolari Patchouly with its patch/ambery drydown IT is my fave. Love them both equally!

SOTD is Dzing!

Gosh you all smell good today!
    It's snowy here in Switzerland too and my South African visitors are reveling in it, which makes it even lovelier.
    Today I've been in DK Chaos, which is perfect both for the household of madness and the cold weather.

And just FYI - I have now caught the 'strange dreams about exes' bug from Basenotes. Lian, what did you start here? Mine wasn't disturbing, just very very strange. (Dealt with the baggage from the boy who broke my heart - only 3 men have done that to me so far.) But doesn't it say a lot about me that my first thought when I woke up and remembered the dream was 'Oooh - that's a Basenotes Special!'
    *shakes head at self*

Have a lovely day, all
    x
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    But doesn't it say a lot about me that my first thought when I woke up and remembered the dream was 'Oooh - that's a Basenotes Special!'
    *shakes head at self*

Have a lovely day, all
    x
    Lol! Wordbird, I do love reading your posts. I'm glad you and your visitors are having a good time.

Having a vodka & soda now, and mulling over a SotE. I'm thinking it's a good night to polish off my sample of Jasmin de Nuit. Wishing myself and all the other interviewees good luck! Love you. Hopefully, I won't get drunk now and start posting incohorent messages on Basenotes!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Wore La Rose du Petit Prince--cheerfully citrus, just to defy the winter weather.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I'm in my gorguous Chanel - Sycomore
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

I'm very sorry for spreading the basenotes haunted dream virus. Next time I'll try to dream about some far away distant ancestor who donates their perfume collection they inherited from someone else who inherited from someone that started it in 1860 and we are faced with the decision of where we store all those bottles, donate them to musea or not? Woe is us. I'll try..really.

Question is, what's worse dreaming about exes and realise in relief it was just a dream or dream about amazing perfume collection and realizing it was sadly but a dream?

SOTE is tbs deep sleep scent on my pillow
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Acier Aluminum as SotE. The drydown still reminds me of Patou pour Homme..

"Once upon a time, I, Chuang Chou, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Chou. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man." --Zhuangzi
    Last edited by kbe; 18th December 2008 at 12:15 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I am wearing the very lovely Winter Star by Michael Storer. This is the perfect scent for Christmas. Winter Star definitely reminds you of Christmas and has put me in the holiday mood.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

SotE: Ava Luxe Ambra Tibet
    Last edited by BlackCat; 18th December 2008 at 01:30 AM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers