Code of Conduct

Default Common non-chocolate note between Piment Brulant and Douce Amere?

So, there's a note that I smell in l'Artisan Perfumeur's Piment Brulant that I don't have a name for. I was expecting peppers, so I tried to persuade myself that, yes, well, maybe that smells a _little_ like a very ripe sweet pepper. Sort of. Possibly. I didn't get any chocolate at all, and I've never smelled any hot pepper - in fact, the note I'm describing is almost the only scent that I get from Piment Brulant, and even that is quite faint.

Now I'm smelling a much stronger and more lasting version of that note in Serge Lutens Douce Amere. As it develops on my skin, it goes more and more to that note, and maybe just a little vanilla.

I really like it, but I'd like to put a name to it. Is it "chocolate", and it just doesn't quite manifest itself as chocolate on me? Or does Piment Brulant have a bit of unadvertised absinthe scent, and that's what they have in common? Any ideas, or what third perfume I could try to break a tie?

Crayfish

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Common non-chocolate note between Piment Brulant and Douce Amere?

I think it is chocolate, perhaps a more cacao-type chocolate. Carob / cocoa, if you will.

Default Re: Common non-chocolate note between Piment Brulant and Douce Amere?

Douce Amere smells of sugar-dusted licorice candy to me, and the licorice does last a very long time.