Code of Conduct

Default Scent to wear to go meet VP of Communications for new job-which scent would you pick?

I recently acquired a highly competitive position with a new company and was invited to meet the VP and hiring manager again and I am sitting here wondering which scent to choose:
    Marc Jacobs Man
    YSL L' Homme
    John Varvatos
    D&G
    Prada Amber Wood Pour homme
    Escada Pour homme
    A Men
    Karen Low Pure Instinct Black

...I have others but these are what I am looking at right now. HELP! lol
    Last edited by 1979213; 17th December 2008 at 08:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scent to wear to go meet VP of Communications for new job-which scent would you p

I would use that as a scent free day myself so as not to in any way offend or overwhelm.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scent to wear to go meet VP of Communications for new job-which scent would you p

YSL L'Homme is fairly tame fragrance, no?

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by petruccijc; 17th December 2008 at 09:19 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I would suggest Varvatos. It's the ONLY frag that people from my office could universally agree on (oh, that it smelled great instead of lousy!)

Post Thanks / Like

Scent free.. You don't want to risk the VP not liking what you're wearing, or wondering why you're trying so hard by wearing a fragrance to a meeting.

If you absolutely must, I suggest Prada Amber because it smells soapy and might pass off as a clean smell...
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 17th December 2008 at 10:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Scent to wear to go meet VP of Communications for new job-which scent would you p

Pass on the fragrances for the meeting. All it takes is one wrong talking head to rain on your parade. Why chance it?
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Post Thanks / Like

It is better to be cautious, you don't know your colleague's tastes. Thus, I wouldn't use any scent at all. You will have time for experimentation, though.

However, if you are a fragrance freak, I would choose something neutral, an EdC with short longevity, something that won't be smelt after you arrive to your office: it is not in your list, but Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte would be the sort of fragrance I have in mind.

YSL l'Homme is pretty genial and inoffensive. I would recommend that one. Not so generic that it could be mistaken for Axe or your deodorant stick, but neither so elaborate and aggressive that it could potentially alienate a superior at work.

Unless the VP is violently allergic to all fragrances, in which case you're on your own.

Post Thanks / Like

Scent free is the way to be. (only in this case!)

Post Thanks / Like

20+ sprays of A*Men will set an impression for sure.

Skip the scent. Wear a scented deodorant, if you must.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

A Men would be a disasterous decision. It is a fragrance that could anihilate entire species of cockroach.

The Prada is the best of those, simple, classy, elegant - but wear it very lightly - one spritz per cheek and no more. Really. Less is definitely more in this situation.

Varvatos is not a daytime fragrance in my opinion.

The Escada you could wear - but put it on a good two hours before the meeting when the vanilla end of the basenotes start to emerge, it's a lovely elegant fragrance - but don't over apply.

If you had it, I would suggest a light application of Habit Rouge an hour or so before the meeting, it is effortlessly classy, fresh smelling and says something about the wearer.

Personally I would wear a light application of Hammam Bouquet applied two hours before. But then I don't give a shit what people think - but hey that's why I'm self-employed in the arts and can get away with that stuff.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 17th December 2008 at 10:53 PM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingLotus View Post
    HA! That would be what I would suggest to someone going into combat, as in, the cloud of scent would potentially stop a hail of bullets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingLotus View Post
    Only if you want the meeting to be brief... and you are not afraid of the consequences.

Went with the Karen Low Black. Not a strong black scent so I only applied two sprays. Meeting went very well btw.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My vote is for YSL L' Homme. Light and inoffensive.

I like Varvatos, but not for the scenario you describe.

OOPS... I replied after the fact!

Glad it went well!
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 18th December 2008 at 12:26 AM.