Code of Conduct

Default Ormonde Jayne, Ormonde Man

Anyone know where I can order this stuff from the US. I know I can get it at www.ormondejayne.com but the shipping is pretty expensive bc it ships from UK. I would like to save a few bucks or you can sell me a bottle? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 17th December 2008 at 10:25 PM.

Default Re: Ormonde Jayne, Ormonde Man

I've been looking for places to get Isfarkand as well as Ormonde Jayne Man. As far as I know, it only sells in the UK. There was rumor that a US distributor website was to be launched this year but I guess that's out. Probably too busy making Zizan.

Bergdorf's bought the exclusive, but for some reason, they never sold the scents lucky, aedes, or Barneys can't get their hands on this one. pay the shipping, this is worth it!! LOVE THIS SCENT! it drives everyone around me nuts! an incredible Green scent, with a very modern Oriental feel to it. Nothing like this.

update- spoke to Karl at Aedes, and he verified, that they did try to carry the line, but it was exclusive to Bergdorf.
    Last edited by musclegod007; 24th December 2008 at 02:35 PM.

Red face Re: Ormonde Jayne, Ormonde Man

are you quite sure about that? i was in there a couple of weeks ago and was asking about buying in LA & NY and i got to speak with Linda Pilkington herself and she didn't mention that! but she did say that the US website was going to launch very soon and it would work out with much cheaper prices because it would be taxfree - my father wears ormonde man & it is really the most stylish scent i have ever encountered! as for zizan i am slightly in love with it myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamasin View Post
    are you quite sure about that? i was in there a couple of weeks ago and was asking about buying in LA & NY and i got to speak with Linda Pilkington herself and she didn't mention that! but she did say that the US website was going to launch very soon and it would work out with much cheaper prices because it would be taxfree - my father wears ormonde man & it is really the most stylish scent i have ever encountered! as for zizan i am slightly in love with it myself!
    I agree Ormone Man is wonderful, unique, and beautiful. I may just bite the bullet and order it from ormondejayne.com. I checked BergdorgGoodman.com and they do not have it. sigh!
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 21st December 2008 at 12:43 AM.

What does it smell like? I have heard that it smells sort of like Silver Mountain Water, and various other comparisons, but no one seems to confident.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    What does it smell like? I have heard that it smells sort of like Silver Mountain Water, and various other comparisons, but no one seems to confident.
    Well I'll add my unsolicited two (s)cents here: I re-tested Ormonde Man after Luca Turin wet his pants in enthusiasm over it, and I have to say I think it's boring. If forced to categorize it, I'd call it a woody green chypre - dry and oddly monochromatic.

For more detail, here's my review from the Directory:

Ormonde Man
    Neutral

"If Ormonde Man were a color, it would be charcoal gray. It goes on dusty-dry and herbal, smelling of rosemary, pepper, and sage. A tightly integrated oudh accentuates the peppery accord, which is sweetened only slightly by spices in the background. All of this rests upon foundation of sharp-edged woods and vetiver, and though no incense notes are listed, the combination of oudh and spices leaves me with the impression of a dry, craggy incense fragrance. Ormonde Man’s mossy, vetiver-flavored drydown is both rugged and austere – I only wish it lasted longer. The fragrance runs its course within two or three hours, even when applied generously. After a few days’ wear I've decided that I like the stuff but it hasn’t knocked my socks off. And at Ormonde Jaynes’s price point and two hours duration, it would need to leave my toes showing."
    Though neither smells precisely like Ormonde Man, I get a similar, though much more lively and stimulating vibe from Givenchy III, or even Grey Flannel.

Vibert, I did not care for it either, although it has been months since I last smelled it. I thought Ormonde Woman was a better men's fragrance.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Vibert, I did not care for it either, although it has been months since I last smelled it. I thought Ormonde Woman was a better men's fragrance.
    I'm with you there, though I don't remember the women's scent floating my boat all that high, either. I'll have to re-test it and review it one of these days.

In fact, after all the hype they've gotten from Turin and Sanchez, I've found most, if not all of the Ormonde Jayne scents stodgy and uninspiring.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 21st December 2008 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I'm with you there, though I don't remember the women's scent floating my boat all that high, either. I'll have to re-test it and review it one of these days.

In fact, after all the hype they've gotten from Turin and Sanchez, I've found most, if not all of the Ormonde Jayne scents stodgy and uninspiring.
    Of the ones I tried, I liked Ta'if, but there are so many rose scents, I am not sure I would rate Ta'if among the must-haves.

Iskfarkand was headache in a bottle for me--too much Iso E Super. I think it would be cheaper to get one of the Escentric frags, anyway.

Of the British niche houses, I find I have better luck with Miller Harris, although I know her frags are not particularly appreciated here. In comparison, OJ smells like chemical cocktail. I have to really be in the right mood for OJ, whereas my mood is always brightened by MH.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post

These are my feelings exactly. Tried the whole line, women's and men's. Nothing to report except that this strikes me as another niche line whose fragrances will not stand the test of time. I don't fell compelled to own any of them. I found Ormonde Man, positively pedestrian, but, then again, I am not the person to ask when it comes to niche fragrances. Generally, I find them mostly uninspired and uninspiring. In this regard, my strike out rate seems to be a lot higher than fellow Basenoters, so please take my assessment for what it's worth. I just felt that since I agreed with Vibert and Asha so completely, it wasn't a bad idea to add a dissenting voice.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 21st December 2008 at 03:59 AM.

I'm with you guys, I was sent a sample set of their men's fragrances and didn't find any one that seemed remotely special. The note descriptions on the OJ website make them sound so exotic.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st December 2008 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I'm with you guys, I was sent a sample set of their men's fragrances and didn't find any one that seemed remotely special. The note descriptions on the OJ website make them sound so exotic.
    I would love to try it, did they send it to you for free or charged?

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    They usually charge, but when I asked them to send me the men's scents only I got those for free. Their customer service is very good, but unfortunately, what I've tried hasn't excited me. Isfarkand is nice, but nothing special. Ormonde Man and Zizan I find rather poor. Orris Noir isn't better than Iris Noir from Yves Rocher (which is certified 86% natural and much cheaper).
    Last edited by the_good_life; 21st December 2008 at 10:01 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Thumbs up Re: Ormonde Jayne, Ormonde Man

do not agree this time with these eminent members scentemental and vibert, this cologne was the best i try this year,is a fresh air in this bored market IMO,a well made fragance.
    #TOP 5#: Penhaligons Racquets,Jean Pascal Homme,Romeo Gigli Uomo,ST Barth Homme,Floris 89

Quote Originally Posted by Dry_Martini View Post
    do not agree this time with these eminent members scentemental and vibert, this cologne was the best i try this year,is a fresh air in this bored market IMO,a well made fragance.
    Sure, Dry_Martini, some will really get on with OJ Man. I really wish I could like some of the niche scents that people here love. Unfortunately, OJ's scents really are chemically harsh to my nose. After seeing the high praise by LT and TS of such scents as EL Beyond Paradise, Dior Hypnotic Poison, Bulgari Black, etc., I am starting to think that they have a bias toward overtly synthetic scents. I do not get the same enjoyment from such fragrances.

I got 4-5 samples free of charge and this suprised many BN'ers but then again I wrote them a very detailed letter discussing their fragrances and why I wanted tot try them and they send me a bunch of 2Ml sprayers free. I was shocked that they did not send them to everyone but, then, as I said before, my letter was quite detailed.

Blog Entries

I tested all of Ormonde Jayne and Cereus scents close to one another. All I remember is one of them was a bit reminiscent of Terre d'Hermes. Most were pretty generic smelling, and neither line is my cup of tea.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Post Re: Ormonde Jayne, Ormonde Man

It's funny how different fragrances are perceived by different people. As soon as Ormonde Man is available here in the States if ever, I won't hesitate to purchase a bottle. I don't know if it would ever break into my top 5, but this is a well crafted fragrance, I find it moves seamlessly through It's progression, going from one stage to another with elegance, and panache. Never over powering, and never pretending to be more than it is. Job well done! IMHO
    Last edited by Ron199; 21st December 2008 at 07:23 PM.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    You actuall pay for it and it's the entire male/female line. I took TGL's advice and sent them an e-mail, told them to leave out the women's samples and the ended up sending it for free, which was very generous of them.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st December 2008 at 08:17 PM.