Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Reformulation....Eagle or chicken?

Regardless of the reason a product is reformulated if it doesn't display all of the characteristics of the original shouldn't it be forced to A: change the name of the product or B: clearly state on the bottle that the reformulation has altered the product? Is it still an Eagle or perhaps a chicken by the same name? Just a thought in these days of consumer protection.

Default Re: Reformulation....Eagle or chicken?

Dear Tesla,

The chickens outnumber the eagles vastly in the reformulation game. What I hate are the "stealth" reformulations where you buy a bottle that looks almost exactly the same as what you purchased a few years back but the juice inside makes you wonder if you got a forgery. I mean really, do they think we're that stupid?

It's interesting to read how many classics have been reformulated and - from various comments - almost without exception the originals were seen as superior. Off the top of my head, I can recall the following in this category:

Chanel Antaeus
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Boss Number One

and even Fahrenheit, according to The Perfume Guide.

There's probably many more but why does this happen, especially when the feedback always seems to be negative? The common trend seems to be that the reformulations are less potent and/or long lasting - is this a response to changing public tastes or simply to make the consumer use up their bottle faster...?

Quote Originally Posted by egrorian View Post
    <SNIP>

and even Fahrenheit, according to The Perfume Guide.

There's probably many more but why does this happen, especially when the feedback always seems to be negative? The common trend seems to be that the reformulations are less potent and/or long lasting - is this a response to changing public tastes or simply to make the consumer use up their bottle faster...?
    I was just thinking the other day as I wore Fahrenheit for the first time in a very long time, "this smells nothing like I recall it smelling".

I knew absolutely NOTHING about fragrances then (and just barely more than that now), so my memory probably cannot be trusted, but still...
    New site for my available dec^H^H^Hsplits: http://www.badgerdecants.com

Product reformulation is an industry standard in every industrial sector. The point is, preferences change along market changes, companies have to aknowledge this fact if they want to succesfully cope with macroenvironmental threads.

Product engineers working in the food and beverage product development sector know that changes in formulas have to be introduced in homeopathic quantities; if not, something like the New vs Old Coke incident could happen.

However, I wonder that in the case of the "quality fragrance" industry things are quite different: purchase frequency is low, thus changes can be more noticeable by consumers. Suppose you are loyal to a brand, you will notice changes when replacing your favorite fragrance after, say six months or a year. This could even be more so in the case of fragrance lovers having many bottles in their collections, a case in which replacement can take years and in which consumer have the knowledge of appreciation and the possibilities of comparison - "I have a vintage boittle of Antaeus and bought a new one..." (you know thew case).

Now, what about the usual consumer, the one that buys a bottle of certain brand, uses it and later replaces it for another brand? That person won't ever aknowledge any changes.

I guess fragrance companies are dealing with serious flaws in terms of segmentation policies. If I were the marketing manager of Hermes Fragrances or any other prestigious perfume house, I would not mess at all with the classics, since I know these will be bought by consumers "experts" (or so they think of themselves). I would market a whole line for the newcomers, a line for the snobs and a line for BNoters , besides any other lines suited to certain segment of the market.

Rorschuck, Fahrenheit has been reformulated recently (I've heard rumor of another reformulation during the 90's, but I am not sure about that one). I actually prefer the new version as I believe it is more modern and wearable.
    Everything comes to an end, as I painfully learned after Domenico Caraceni's discontinuation. However, it is much better to have a reformulation, reminiscent of the old formula than nothing. Even Though the few thousand who actually buy the product will miss it, reformulation opens the opportunity for million to fall in love with a whole new fragrance (Fahrenheit and Knize 10 are improvements of over the old version IMO). Still, it would be a good idea if they release a public notice to stock up before they pull the plug.
    Last edited by irish; 18th December 2008 at 02:29 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    ... Still, it would be a good idea if they release a public notice to stock up before they pull the plug.
    TAke in mind reactions by part of consumers - remember what happened when Coca Cola announced that it was going to change its original formula.

In the perfume industry there was an analogous situation when Guerlain announced it was going to reformulate many of its classics. Luca Turin mentioned this in his blog, called for support and Guerlain offices where flocked by protests.

I consider it to be a perfect case of consumer activism: follow this link if you want to read a detailed account on it - http://lucaturin.typepad.com/

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Rorschuck, Fahrenheit has been reformulated recently (I've heard rumor of another reformulation during the 90's, but I am not sure about that one). I actually prefer the new version as I believe it is more modern and wearable.
    Everything comes to an end, as I painfully learned after Domenico Caraceni's discontinuation. However, it is much better to have a reformulation, reminiscent of the old formula than nothing. Even Though the few thousand who actually buy the product will miss it, reformulation opens the opportunity for million to fall in love with a whole new fragrance (Fahrenheit and Knize 10 are improvements of over the old version IMO). Still, it would be a good idea if they release a public notice to stock up before they pull the plug.
    Yes, I think the 'motor oil' note is much more pronounced than it used to be. Maybe I'll fall back in love with the new Fahrenheit.

I thought the discontinuation of DC 1913 turned out to be slightly exaggerated? LuckyScent has it back in stock!

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...0600&section=1
    New site for my available dec^H^H^Hsplits: http://www.badgerdecants.com