Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a vanilla based fragrance suitable for work wear.

I'm new to fragrances. My mainstays have been Old Spice, Brut, Aqua Velva Orange, etc. Basically whatever I could find cheap that smelled good. I recently got into Polo, and while I really like it, some days i'd rather smell something a bit sweet, vanilla preferably. Back in High School a friend of my had this vanilla cologne we'd use after gym. For some reason I really remember that scent.

Right now, i'm looking for a good fragrance that isn't exactly dominated by vanilla, but incorporates it into the fold somehow. I do like wearing cologne to work. I work in a supermarket so it's refreshing to smell something besides the customers and coworkers. Looking for something in the under $60 price range if possible. I am looking for a unique scent, but not too attention grabbing. I work around fairly southern conservative people(that may not matter, but for some reason I felt like mentioning it).
    Last edited by ibarney5; 19th December 2008 at 02:08 AM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for a vanilla based fragrance suitable for work wear.

Try Guerlain Habit Rouge EDC
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Habit Rouge is a great suggestion!

Also:
    Canoe
    Lagerfeld Classic
    Pierre Cardin pour Monsieur
    Jaipur Homme
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Bvlgari Black

Post Thanks / Like

Of the ones mentioned, I second Habit Rouge (HR) and Pierre Cardin (PC) - as a matter of fact, during the late 70's early 80's it was a total hit among well to do manhanites!

HB is pricey and difficult to get, while PC is way more inexpensive and easily found in major drugstores.

Smile Re: Looking for a vanilla based fragrance suitable for work wear.

Givenchy Pi. I wear it on occasion, but like it better on a man.
    Also, did someone mention Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille? Awesome vanilla based scent. But Pricey!
    Don't forget to sample first! ^_^

Some people elsewhere suggested Lolita Lempicka. I was able to find Pi, but not anything else. Wasn't able to sample it though.
    Last edited by ibarney5; 24th December 2008 at 11:21 PM.

i think ckin2u has a vanilla quality about it. test it out. also go to your local fragrance place and ask the assistants and just test a few first on skin. come back 20 minutes later and if one stands out purchase it.

Try John Varvatos.. nice and simple leather and vanilla. not too expensive or hard to find either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can't go wrong with Habit Rouge.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

If you are in the US, you probably are not going to find Habit Rouge EDC or Lolita Lempika au Masculin in any major department stores. You may find them in a small "mom & pop" type fragrance store or somewhere like a Perfumania.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Perfumania has Lolita, well the one i go to atleast. if you cant find lolita try Rochas man, i find the two REALLY similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Seconding the Habit Rouge and Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille suggestions and would add Guerlain Spirituese Double Vanille.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

For vanilla based frag, you can not go wrong with either Chanel Egoiste or Opium PH
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Opium PH seems like a winner. Fairly cheap($20 for 1.6 oz). I was going to pick up some Pi, but this seems like it would be better. Tobacco Vanille seems like it would be heaven, but i'm can't afford that. So, its basically down to:

Habit Rouge
    Opium PH
    Pi

Tobacco Vanille seems like it would be heavenly, but a bit expensive.

You can't go wrong with Guerlain's JICKY; it's the best and the vanilla is divine.

I wen't with Pi for a few reasons. Convenience first and foremost. I found some at a local Wal-Mart for $30. I kind of wanted to shy away from online ordering until after the holidays, and I haven't taken a trip to a major city in awhile.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to defend my choice or say that I settled for Pi. It has what i'm looking for and i'm happy with it. It is the first frag i've payed over $10 for. I'm not inclined to stop there either. There is a whole world of scents out there and I intend to explore those mentioned in this topic and many others.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for the heck of it you may wanna pick up a bottle of Canoe by Dana. You mentioned a high school buddy that wore a vanilla based scent after gym - that might be it.

I tried some of that at Wal-Mart. They had a gift box for $10. I don't think that was it though. I think it may have been Raw Vanilla by Coty.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

FYI - You can find Opium PH at many Marshalls/TJ Maxx for < $20.

Didn't think to look there when I went shopping last week, I was in a hurry though. Next time I take a trip, i'll be sure to check into those stores.

I'm liking Pi so far. Sillage isn't too good on me. I think 3 sprays is where i'm at right now. Makes it noticeable, but not overpowering.

Post Thanks / Like

Sillage on Pi may seemlow to you, but you may just be experiencing olefactory fatigue. 3 sprays should be at high end of the spectrum with spraying Pi.

I m not a huge fan of vanilla....but Silver Shadow Davidoff is "maybe" a good option for what you want.

Other....well....with more risks of course, is Le Male....but if you use it with caution is a very lovely option.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentrť d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    Sillage on Pi may seemlow to you, but you may just be experiencing olefactory fatigue. 3 sprays should be at high end of the spectrum with spraying Pi.
    That's what I heard, but with two sprays while sitting in a car with the windows up, the other passenger could barely smell anything.