Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Amber Gris.......got to have it!

I finally got my bottle of Balmain's Amber Gris today. Bottle with round gold crown is beautiful. The bottle itself is heavy and grey tinted and even the box it comes in is classy. Ok, now for the fragrance: It is wonderful and completely unisex. There are some wonderful reviews online so I shall not bore you with my rendition. What I will say is that for a blind buy based on reviews this juice is a winner. I give it 8.5 out of a possible 10 on my fragrance scale and I am pretty picky.

I am updating this thread some hours later to report that the dry down is a really marvelous long lasting vanilla, and I do like vanilla with a passion. Forgive my zeal but, it is, in my opinion, straight from Mt. Olympus.

Dec. 29 update: I liked this frag. so much that I bought another bottle this morning from Perfume.com. as Big Discount was out of stock.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 29th December 2008 at 06:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Amber Gris.......got to have it!

Wow, no replies but many reads. Am I the only one who has tried Amber Gris? I see it isn't in the fragrance directory.

I read a review online about a week ago, but not sure where I can test it in NYC it did peak my interest

Where did you get your bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Wow, no replies but many reads. Am I the only one who has tried Amber Gris? I see it isn't in the fragrance directory.
    As I recall, Dimitri is a big fan.Check out his blog for his review. I'm anxious to try it. I've seen it online for $19! In Paris they sell it at Colette!!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 20th December 2008 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    As I recall, Dimitri is a big fan.Check out his blog for his review. I'm anxious to try it. I've seen it online for $19! In Paris they sell it at Colette!!
    I think that is where I saw the review

where did you see it for $19?

Blog Entries

Big Discount had it for $25. or so, but now out. I almost bought two but, was a blind purchase and did not want to take too big a chance. Will aquire one or two more when available.

It is absolutely delicious. Yes Dimitri has a nice review
    http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com/2...mbre-gris.html

and the Scented Salamander
    http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds..._perfum_1.html

Blog Entries

Sounds like something to try, definitely. And what a price!

I seriously love the bottle. Tesla, I'd be interested to read your review. Somewhere I thought I read a negative on it, so wrote off sampling.

they have it in stock for $28

https://www.parfum1.com/perfume.asp

are they a reliable company? I never purchased from them before? and thinking of taking a chance and blind buy
    Last edited by denec; 21st December 2008 at 12:00 AM.

Blog Entries

I have never purchased from parfum1. I bought mine from Big Discount but they are now out of stock. The original retail price was supposed to be $150 so after reading the reviews when I saw it available so inexpensively I couldn't resist the blind buy. This blind buy was worth the risk I think.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    they have it in stock for $28

https://www.parfum1.com/perfume.asp

are they a reliable company? I never purchased from them before? and thinking of taking a chance and blind buy
    I have not had a problem with them. If you are going to order from them, you should take advantage of the 25% off code - valid thru 12/24.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 21st December 2008 at 11:23 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I just bought it from 99perfumes for $25 + shipping. I can't find it for $19 anymore, but still, it's a deal. That is, if I like it!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 24th December 2008 at 06:34 PM.

ok i ordered it blind...came to $31 with the 25% off and shipping i figured for that much it worth a shot worst case can sell or trade here if i dont like it..

ok i ordered it blind...came to $31 with the 25% off and shipping i figured for that much it worth a shot worst case can sell or trade here if i dont like it..
    It looks like we're in the same boat.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Amber Gris.......got to have it!

I decided that I like this frag. so much that I bought another bottle this morning from Perfume.com and avoided shipping fee so $27 and change out the door. "He who hesitates is lost!"

I decided that I like this frag. so much that I bought another bottle this morning from Perfume.com and avoided shipping fee so $27 and change out the door. "He who hesitates is lost!"

Wow now i really cannot wait to get mine...

no idea when mine is getting here...probably not till next week with the holiday

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Amber Gris.......got to have it!

Hello denec: I got excited about Amber Gris because it is one of the first blind buys that was instant success. I warn you though that it is addicting. Hope you get your bottle soon. Let me know what you think.

Mine is scheduled to arrive today via UPS. Report to follow.

Hello denec: I got excited about Amber Gris because it is one of the first blind buys that was instant success. I warn you though that it is addicting. Hope you get your bottle soon. Let me know what you think.

I dont even think mine shipped yet LOL

parfum i think is slow proccesing i will see where mine is

one thing i hate about ordering online vs buying in the store

well update mine should be here tomorrow supposedly i hope

It arrived! First of all, the bottle is magnificent. Chunky glass square with a gold golf-ball cap. I
    put a spray on and headed to the beach. It started a bit sweet, but the amber/wood began to develop nicely. I then went into the ocean.
    I'm wearing it tonight to a party, more later.

i almost ordered it for my then girlfriend...i love ow it smells ona beautiful woman, but i could not pull it off...too feminine for me.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Blog Entries

Question Re: Amber Gris.......got to have it!

Ruggles: Cool! Glad you got it. Give us a full report tonight would ya?

I have to say this: it starts out as a cherry cordial candy and then sheds the sweetness, goes through a floral middle and then it becomes a vanilla oriental. I need to wear it again a few times. My first impression is that it's a weird chypre/oriental mutant, that is quite well done with classy ingredients, quite good, but not a revelation.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 30th December 2008 at 04:04 AM.

Blog Entries

Ruggles: Good description. It is pretty amazing stuff.

I have to say this: it starts out as a cherry cordial candy and then sheds the sweetness, goes through a floral middle and then it becomes a vanilla oriental. I need to wear it again a few times. My first impression is that it's a weird chypre/oriental mutant, that is quite well done with classy ingredients, quite good, but not a revelation.

I still don't know what chypre means in describing fragrances i need to search that out

hopefully mine comes tomorrow

out of curiosity is it unique anything else like it?
    Last edited by denec; 30th December 2008 at 04:15 AM.

I just put part of it together, it's full of hay absolute and it has got a Chergui vibe going on, big time.

I just got mine and sprayed on two sprays, one on wrists and one one back of hands

so far initial top notes, very sweet will see how it goes from here

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    It is absolutely delicious. Yes Dimitri has a nice review
    http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com/2...mbre-gris.html

and the Scented Salamander
    http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds..._perfum_1.html

Having purchased a bottle and tried it, I find the following to be the most balanced, accurate review with the added virtue of its being pretty much free of the ad speak/ad hype exoticism that seems to be the prevailing genre of most blogs these days:

http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/200...mbre-gris.html

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 30th December 2008 at 05:17 PM.

Now it changed over from very sweet/fruity to a floral...lets see where the drydown goes

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Having purchased a bottle and tried it, I find the following to be the most balanced, accurate review with the added virtue of its being pretty much free of the ad speak/ad hype exoticism that seems to be the prevailing genre of most blogs these days:
    http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/200...mbre-gris.html
    scentemental
    Thanks for the link. A very accurate description of a nice, but truly over-hyped, fragrance. I'm finding Ambre Gris to be a watered down Lutens, think Chypre Rouge crossed with Chergui.

Thanks for the link. A very accurate description of a nice, but truly over-hyped, fragrance. I'm finding Ambre Gris to be a watered down Lutens, think Chypre Rouge crossed with Chergui.

I am not sure yet, dont know if i got to the drydown or what..right now it is still too sweet for me
    Last edited by denec; 30th December 2008 at 06:45 PM.

I am not sure yet, dont know if i got to the drydown or what..right now it is still too sweet for me
    FYI, it was originally done as a feminine. The candied cherries note does pass. I'm liking it, but definitely not loving it. A good example of what happens with a blind buy.

FYI, it was originally done as a feminine. The candied cherries note does pass. I'm liking it, but definitely not loving it. A good example of what happens with a blind buy.
    Yes i finally got pass the cherry stage!

I still smell some of it in the background or some sort of I guess tuberose or some sort of flower but it is deep in background I can live with that

I am not an expert on the rest of the notes. So to describe the rest is very hard but I do like this part very much. I do feel the salty part i guess is what you might describe it?

I think this was a very smart move from the marketing machine at Balmain. They got a lot of people to try their product that otherwise would not even know about it. Of those who bought it some will like it and will pay attention to future Balmain releases.

I will have to spray my husband (probably while he sleeps, hee hee) and see how it develops on his skin.

The drydown is definitely the best part, just takes a while to get there I guess about 2 hours on my skin,

when it gets there I would say it is creamy, dark, vanilla, salty, a little sensual.

all in all not bad for a blind buy. The opening way too sweet, for the price it is not bad maybe after a few more wearings I will appreciate it more

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Amber Gris.......got to have it!

However opinions may differ regarding Amber Gris...I like it. I used some today and happily experienced the fragrance all day. I like sweet, floral and wood, all of which are there. The majority of critics I read thought it virtuous and with the price being what it is, your honor, I rest my case.

Yeah I am still not sure about it...the sweetness keeps popping in and out in the drydown I guess that is the tuberose? I am not really sure?

I like sweet fragrances like rochas man, and Lolita Lempkin au masculin but this is too much for me for me, I think this smells too feminine on my skin but I am not sure I guess I need to ask a females opinon. The other thing I noticed I dont think there is much sillage because I can barely after it goes into drydwon without putting my hand right into my nose

Oh well even if i end up not liking for the price I paid I guess i cannot complain too much
    Last edited by denec; 31st December 2008 at 12:16 AM.

An imaginary review from Luca Turin:

Ambre Gris *** candy-wood
    Ambre Gris is apparently based on an "idea" of ambergris. It is a polite, slightly confused fragrance with a pleasant cherry cordial start and a complex, salty drydown that feels like several fragrances at once. Utterly unremarkable.

Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st December 2008 at 12:42 AM.

An imaginary review from Luca Turin:

Ambre Gris *** candy-wood
    Ambre Gris is apparently based on an "idea" of ambergris. It is a polite, slightly confused fragrance with a pleasant cherry cordial start and a complex, salty drydown that feels like several fragrances at once. Utterly unremarkable.

Brilliant, Ruggles!

I especially like how the star rating doesn't match the description
    -

Well I had to scrub Ambre Gris off...and I don't think I can wear this again, i went from somewhat liking it to hating it
    Last edited by denec; 31st December 2008 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Brilliant, Ruggles!
    I especially like how the star rating doesn't match the description
    It's actually a paraphrase of his Eau des Merveilles revue; a tribute to their sliding meaning of ***.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st December 2008 at 04:13 AM.

I loved Gaia's review! I watch for perfume "stampedes" like this, then wait for the bottles to start showing up on swap lists...that's how I got my bottle :-)