Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Amber Gris.......got to have it!

Now it changed over from very sweet/fruity to a floral...lets see where the drydown goes

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Having purchased a bottle and tried it, I find the following to be the most balanced, accurate review with the added virtue of its being pretty much free of the ad speak/ad hype exoticism that seems to be the prevailing genre of most blogs these days:
    http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/200...mbre-gris.html
    scentemental
    Thanks for the link. A very accurate description of a nice, but truly over-hyped, fragrance. I'm finding Ambre Gris to be a watered down Lutens, think Chypre Rouge crossed with Chergui.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Thanks for the link. A very accurate description of a nice, but truly over-hyped, fragrance. I'm finding Ambre Gris to be a watered down Lutens, think Chypre Rouge crossed with Chergui.

I am not sure yet, dont know if i got to the drydown or what..right now it is still too sweet for me
    Last edited by denec; 30th December 2008 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I am not sure yet, dont know if i got to the drydown or what..right now it is still too sweet for me
    FYI, it was originally done as a feminine. The candied cherries note does pass. I'm liking it, but definitely not loving it. A good example of what happens with a blind buy.

FYI, it was originally done as a feminine. The candied cherries note does pass. I'm liking it, but definitely not loving it. A good example of what happens with a blind buy.
    Yes i finally got pass the cherry stage!

I still smell some of it in the background or some sort of I guess tuberose or some sort of flower but it is deep in background I can live with that

I am not an expert on the rest of the notes. So to describe the rest is very hard but I do like this part very much. I do feel the salty part i guess is what you might describe it?

I think this was a very smart move from the marketing machine at Balmain. They got a lot of people to try their product that otherwise would not even know about it. Of those who bought it some will like it and will pay attention to future Balmain releases.

I will have to spray my husband (probably while he sleeps, hee hee) and see how it develops on his skin.

The drydown is definitely the best part, just takes a while to get there I guess about 2 hours on my skin,

when it gets there I would say it is creamy, dark, vanilla, salty, a little sensual.

all in all not bad for a blind buy. The opening way too sweet, for the price it is not bad maybe after a few more wearings I will appreciate it more

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Amber Gris.......got to have it!

However opinions may differ regarding Amber Gris...I like it. I used some today and happily experienced the fragrance all day. I like sweet, floral and wood, all of which are there. The majority of critics I read thought it virtuous and with the price being what it is, your honor, I rest my case.

Yeah I am still not sure about it...the sweetness keeps popping in and out in the drydown I guess that is the tuberose? I am not really sure?

I like sweet fragrances like rochas man, and Lolita Lempkin au masculin but this is too much for me for me, I think this smells too feminine on my skin but I am not sure I guess I need to ask a females opinon. The other thing I noticed I dont think there is much sillage because I can barely after it goes into drydwon without putting my hand right into my nose

Oh well even if i end up not liking for the price I paid I guess i cannot complain too much
    Last edited by denec; 30th December 2008 at 11:16 PM.

An imaginary review from Luca Turin:

Ambre Gris *** candy-wood
    Ambre Gris is apparently based on an "idea" of ambergris. It is a polite, slightly confused fragrance with a pleasant cherry cordial start and a complex, salty drydown that feels like several fragrances at once. Utterly unremarkable.

Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 30th December 2008 at 11:42 PM.

An imaginary review from Luca Turin:

Ambre Gris *** candy-wood
    Ambre Gris is apparently based on an "idea" of ambergris. It is a polite, slightly confused fragrance with a pleasant cherry cordial start and a complex, salty drydown that feels like several fragrances at once. Utterly unremarkable.

Brilliant, Ruggles!

I especially like how the star rating doesn't match the description
    -

Well I had to scrub Ambre Gris off...and I don't think I can wear this again, i went from somewhat liking it to hating it
    Last edited by denec; 31st December 2008 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Brilliant, Ruggles!
    I especially like how the star rating doesn't match the description
    It's actually a paraphrase of his Eau des Merveilles revue; a tribute to their sliding meaning of ***.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st December 2008 at 03:13 AM.

I loved Gaia's review! I watch for perfume "stampedes" like this, then wait for the bottles to start showing up on swap lists...that's how I got my bottle :-)