Code of Conduct

Default Mark Buxton ( and his new line )

After being entranced by Comme Des Garcons Original and interested by CdG 2 Man ( is it just me, or does the latter smell a bit like a civilized version of ELDO's Rien? ), my curiosity is piqued. I'll definitely be checking out more of his CdG creations and probably checking out the Le Labo vetiver, too, but I also found out while Googling that Mark has his own line of fragrances.

http://www.markbuxton.com/

Any thoughts on this line? Anyone tried them? I've never seen it mentioned here ( and this is Basenotes - if a niche perfumer farts in the woods, we hear about it ).

On that note, another rather peripheral fragrance line Mark's done three frags for is Biehl Barfumkunstwerke. I've got to say this line lacks marketing charisma - a name like mb02 just leaps off the shelf - but all the same I'm very interested in some the fragrances themselves, particularly mb03.

Default Re: Mark Buxton ( and his new line )

mb03 is nice, it could easily be marketed as another CdG Incense frag. For me I think it falls somewhere between Avignon and Zagorsk but those two have better longevity. I've not tried the new line yet, but out of the 6 only one or two sound like that they may be worth looking into.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    On that note, another rather peripheral fragrance line Mark's done three frags for is Biehl Parfumkunstwerke. I've got to say this line lacks marketing charisma - a name like mb02 just leaps off the shelf - but all the same I'm very interested in some the fragrances themselves, particularly mb03.
    I recently tried all three of Buxton's biehl parfumkunstwerke creations, on two separate occasions, and would say that mb03 is the most noteworthy of Buxton's three. Part of the reason for me thinking this is that I am a big fan of frankincense. However, mb03 is a pale shadow of other frankincense fragrances. If you are a Comme des Garçons fan, I would instead opt for Duchaufour's Avignon or the more tame and less ecclesiastical Kyoto. And if you feel like forking over the cash for it, Amouage Jubilation XXV leaves mb03 in the dust.

In my opinion, the best of the biehl parfumkunstwerke line are the following:

al02 - A beautifully rich, fruity, spicy creation by Arturetto Landi. If you don't like this stuff, you're probably clinically dead.
    gs01 - Geza Schoen’s interesting mix of herbs and flowers. Asha and I are in agreement that the top notes are the stars here. Frequent application is a necessity.
    pc01 - Patricia Choux’s better of her two fragrances in this line. This one is tough to describe, but is beautiful to smell. Very light and airy. I think this would work better for women, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I recently tried all three of Buxton's biehl parfumkunstwerke creations, on two separate occasions, and would say that mb03 is the most noteworthy of Buxton's three. Part of the reason for me thinking this is that I am a big fan of frankincense. However, mb03 is a pale shadow of other frankincense fragrances. If you are a Comme des Garçons fan, I would instead opt for Duchaufour's Avignon or the more tame and less ecclesiastical Kyoto. And if you feel like forking over the cash for it, Amouage Jubilation XXV leaves mb03 in the dust.

In my opinion, the best of the biehl parfumkunstwerke line are the following:

al02 - A beautifully rich, fruity, spicy creation by Arturetto Landi. If you don't like this stuff, you're probably clinically dead.
    gs01 - Geza Schoen’s interesting mix of herbs and flowers. Asha and I are in agreement that the top notes are the stars here. Frequent application is a necessity.
    pc01 - Patricia Choux’s better of her two fragrances in this line. This one is tough to describe, but is beautiful to smell. Very light and airy. I think this would work better for women, though.
    Thanks for your review! I actually have a sample of PC01 working its way to me through the Christmas-clogged mail system as part of an unrelated lilac sampler. I just ordered some AL02, so you'll get to find out if the undead stalk Basenotes.

These scents look interesting. The artwork on the bottles makes me think of Brian Eno's ambient works for some reason.

Vetiver 46 and CdG 2 MAN are both by the same perfumer? Now it makes sense that they smell somewhat similar to me.

Basenotes Institution

There are so many other wonderful Buxton scents to try, that came out way before he came out with his own line. Have you tried those Galamb?

White by Comme des Garcons, Moslbuddjewchristhindao by Elternhaus and 3 by Comme des Garcons come highly recommended.

I also agree with the positive comments about mb03. Nice incense. Just not necessary, atleast for me - my incense wardrobe is too full of incense scents already, I really don't need another one. Still, if I received it as a gift, I'd wear it proudly. It really does smell like the 6th incense scent, in the CdG Incense Series.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    There are so many other wonderful Buxton scents to try, that came out way before he came out with his own line. Have you tried those Galamb?

White by Comme des Garcons, Moslbuddjewchristhindao by Elternhaus and 3 by Comme des Garcons come highly recommended.
    I'll have to check those out - White is already on my to-try list, but I hadn't thought of trying 3 yet.

Moslbuddjewchristhindao... well, that's WAY too much religion in one fragrance for me, but the ingredient list looks interesting.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I'll have to check those out - White is already on my to-try list, but I hadn't thought of trying 3 yet.

Moslbuddjewchristhindao... well, that's WAY too much religion in one fragrance for me, but the ingredient list looks interesting.
    And don't forget he did the new Jil Sander 79 Man . I haven't smelled it, but I hear it's good (there's a thread circulating about it on the boards now).

I tried a few from Mark's new line shortly before I picked up a cold and I've not gotten chance to try them out again. These were my initial, and somewhat short, impressions.

Wood and Absinth - slightly sweet oriental which reminded me a little of a toned down version of Armand Basi Homme (2000) especially the dry down.

Hot Leather - oddly don't think of hot here. Slightly powdery soft leathery scent with jasmine. Reminded me of Serge Lutens Daim Blond and Armani Prive Cuir Amethyst.

After Midnight - this reminded me a little of MB03 the incense one he did for the Biehl ... line.

I really like all 3 of them and would certainly consider the first two. Just wish they were not so expensive and the £ would start picking up. I have a few others that I've not gotten around to trying yet - Nameless and Black Angel. There was another thread on these a while back with some info too:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=217540

Andy