Code of Conduct

Default Recieved samples of L'Artisan, D. Caraceni, CDG, Mazzolari, Montale, and Profumum

L' Artisan
    Timbuktu - Sharp, clear, and distinct. Light and woody.
    Mechant Loup - Never smelled anything like it. Definitely for night time use
    Dzing! - Smells like the horse ranch, but in a good way.
    Voleur De Roses - Very clear and clean. Soft powder roses. Feminine. Not for me.
    Tea for Two - Soft and light. Again not like anything I have ever smelled.

All of the L'Artisan's are very clear and clean. They do not smell the least bit synthetic. I might have to sample more from this house but I'm not sure why anybody would purchase an entire bottle. They do not seem wearable to me. Maybe its just these that I have sampled?

Domenico Caraceni 1913 - Too powdery for me. Suitable for older men. ( I am 21)

CDG Incense series Quarzazate - Very crisp and clear. I imagine a damp cave filled with cold water and crystals. Just like the underground cavern in the new James Bond movie.

Montale Black Oud - I was disappointed. Maybe luckyscent mislabeled my sample? Maybe basenoters are crazy? I smell very powdery flowers. This frag is very feminine to me. Acetone + powder + flowers. I will give it another go. If you disagree with me then we'll just say I'm crazy.

Mazzolari Lui - Incredible. A very slight powdery warm amber (this "description" does not even come close to describing this frag). I would purchase this.

Profumum Thundra - Incredible as well. Minty, light ink, damp forest, rain, and musk. The dry down is great on me. The musk is dominant towards the end of the day. I would purchase this, but it possible I would tire of this too soon. If I do I'll stick to purchsing a 8-15ml decant of this.

I plan sampling the following in the near future:

Divine - L'homme Sage
    Serge Lutens - MKK
    Frederic Malle - Musc Ravageur
    Lalique - Encre Noir
    Czech & Speake - No. 88

Thanks for all the advice and help from you basenoters.

Suggestions for new samples to try?
    Last edited by Mires; 21st December 2008 at 02:28 AM.

Default Re: Recieved samples of L'Artisan, D. Caraceni, CDG, Mazzolari, Montale, and Profumum

I recommend checking out the other four CdG Incense fragrances and a couple of the TDC line Bois d'Iris and Rose Poivree. Bois d'Iris is ethereal and light but very beautiful.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Default Re: Recieved samples of L'Artisan, D. Caraceni, CDG, Mazzolari, Montale, and Profumum

Quote Originally Posted by Mires View Post
    Suggestions for new samples to try?
    You seem to have a problem with the rose fragrances being too sweet, in which case #88 might be problematic for you. It's a sweet, heavy and rich sandalwood and rose fragrance. Though the two are different, you might have a similar reaction to it as to Montale's Black Oud. If you want a rose-sandalwood fragrance where the rose takes much more of a back seat to sandalwood, try Comme Des Garcons Original ( it's also QUITE spicy ). The most masculine rose I know - while still being predominantly a rose fragrance - is Paestum Rose, where the sweetness is cut with a big dose of pepper, cedar, myrrh and oud.

Luckyscent has one of the best sample selections around. Based on your thoughts here, I'd suggest checking out:

- Any of the rest of the CdG Incense line, particularly Jaisalmer and Avignon.
    - CdG Calamus
    - CdG Original
    - Tauer's L'Air Du Desert Marocain and Lonestar Memories
    - Eau D'Italie's Paestum Rose, possibly Bois D'Ombrie too, if you want an adventure
    - Parfumerie Generale's Bois Blond and Iris Taizo ( the latter is a very dry and masculine iris )

The selection there is huge, so these are just the first few that popped into my head.

Edit: For some reason I assumed you were using Luckyscent for samples... anyhow, however you get them, I still recommend those fragrances.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 21st December 2008 at 03:23 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I agree with Galamb - steer clear of No. 88 if you don't like roses.

In addition to the great suggestions above, please try Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garcons x Monocle and Amber Sultan by Serge Luten - plus the others on your list.

Morning Star

Everyone's beating me to all the good suggestions, which I guess is a good thing. I will also recommend Le Labo Rose 31, since it is almost a burnt rose fragrance and could be considered to be a masculine, very woody rose. But if you're only looking to buy one thing, just buy the Profumum Thundra. I'll confess that it is my favorite fragrance, and that I am probably one of its biggest fanboys on BN ... but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

If you're ordering samples from Lucky Scent, I'd recommend:

Amouage Jubilation XXV (not "25" (There's another current thread going on this one.)
    (I hear Amouage Lyric is great & be sure to ask for a scented blotter of Homage
    Profumum Fiore d'Ambra & Santalum
    Parfums d' Empire Fougere Bengale
    Tauer Incense Rose & Incense Extreme
    L'Artisan Parfumeur The Pour Un Ete (not so much tea but a very nice jasmine IMO)
    Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose
    Parfumerie Generale Querelle, Coze, Cadjmere

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I ordered the L'Artisan from L'Artisan. Surprise.

The others from Luckyscent.

I should make this clear:I now know I'm not a fan of rose.

I'll pass on C&S No. 88 for now.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    Profumum Fiore d'Ambra & Santalum
    Parfumerie Generale Querelle, Coze, Cadjmere
    Heartily seconded!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Off-Scenter

Well, you've certainly been sampling "the good stuff!"

I second the recommendation of Ambre Sultan, and would add Ambre Precieux for a nice representation of high quality amber. How about some fig scents as well? Jardin de Kerylos, Heeley's Figuier, and Phylosikos are great examples.

As long as you're working your way through niche fragrances, I suggest some of the Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier scents (beyond Ambre Precieux) as well. Santal Noble, Iris Bleu Gris, Parfum d'Habit, Jardin du Nil, and Route du Vetiver are all oustanding fragrances for men (and adventurous women).

You probably ought to dip into the chypres while you're at it, too. Givenchy III and Mitsouko will give you a firm grasp on quality in this fragrance family.

Finally, consider taking the plunge and sampling a few florals. You may not feel comfortable in them in the end, but Carnal Flower, Un Lys, Tubereuse Criminelle, Chamade, Insense, and Amouage Gold for Men will at least add to your understanding of fragrance genres.

Happy sampling!

AromiErotici

Ambre Precieux
    Parfum d'Habit
    Noir Epices
    Santal Noble
    Profumum Santalum
    Geisha Noire

Mires, you make me want to try that Mazzolari and the CDG Quar. scent

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Mires, you make me want to try that Mazzolari and the CDG Quar. scent
    Do it. The Mazzolari seems strong at first, but it drys down to a nice warm frag.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

Ill let you know what I sample next and keep posting suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    You seem to have a problem with the rose fragrances being too sweet, in which case #88 might be problematic for you.
    Word! I really struggled with #88

Mazzolari Lui is no joke - it's such a rich masculine patchouli leather... there's nothing else quite like it and it's on my short 'want a full bottle' list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mires View Post
    Montale Black Oud - I was disappointed. Maybe luckyscent mislabeled my sample? Maybe basenoters are crazy? I smell very powdery flowers. This frag is very feminine to me. Acetone + powder + flowers. I will give it another go. If you disagree with me then we'll just say I'm crazy.
    MEGA CO-sign

I wonder why so many here can describe/review scents, some more feminine than black aoud, like this:
    strongly mentioning how woodsy/incense/tobacco/deep/masuline...
    ...and never mention flowers or powder once.
    Or they mention Rose as an afterthought, after playing up the aoud/woods/incense....

After being appalled at several blind buys, I have made note of who writes reviews like this, and totally disregard 100% of their future opinion/reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    MEGA CO-sign

I wonder why so many here can describe/review scents, some more feminine than black aoud, like this:
    strongly mentioning how woodsy/incense/tobacco/deep/masuline...
    ...and never mention flowers or powder once.
    Or they mention Rose as an afterthought, after playing up the aoud/woods/incense....

After being appalled at several blind buys, I have made note of who writes reviews like this, and totally disregard 100% of their future opinion/reviews.
    After #88 I now reserve the same caution When I went back to the reviews I did find some warnings, I guess I just didn't pay attention initially.