Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920 - does anyone else smell the 'fruit punch' note?

I remember when Sushi Imperiale and the Bois 1920 line came out, I was the most excited to try this one. Everyone kept saying it was a cinnamon bomb, which sounded tempting.

When I smelled it at Scent Bar, I remember looking at Angela and saying, 'This doesn't smell like cinnamon...it smells like...?' and she said, 'Fruit?' 'Yes, that's it!' I replied.

I'm wearing another sample of it tonight, and for the first half hour this scent smells exactly like a corn syrup infused fruit punch beverage (a popular brand here in the US is 'Hawaiian Punch'). It's quite jarring - this would be the perfect niche scent for children's toothpaste or perhaps to scent an elementary school cafeteria. But a men's oriental?

Does anyone wear this and 'get' the fruit punch note? If so, what the heck note (or blend of notes) achieves that? Maybe my cinnamon threshold is higher, but I get little cinnamon from this one (like Asha mentioned on my cinnamon thread). Anyone agree?

Exclamation Re: Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920 - does anyone else smell the 'fruit punch' note?

Yeah, I do. Hawaian Punch Still, I do smell some cinnamon in there. I have this theory which says that we develop an enhanced sensitivity, or a lower threshold (I like this terminology), for notes we do not like, and I do not enjoy most fragrances with cinnamon. To be honest, I feel like this fragrance is a bit disorganised. It is not a complete mess, but it does not have an elegant evolution.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Default Re: Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920 - does anyone else smell the 'fruit punch' note?

It must develop differently on me - I don't get fruit punch, or any fruit at all, and I don't get anything that I would really call cinnamon.

I get ginger or a sort of mock-ginger, and something that's just at the edge of medicinal and not falling over that edge, and a general "volatileness" that reminds me of mint even though I don't get the least bit of actual mint. And a sense of other spices thrown in there, but I can't quite identify what spices.

I love the stuff, even though I might agree that it's not elegant - I don't really sense a plan, just a frenzied sparkly ginger-and-spice dance. It's very Christmasy, to me, though I also loved it in the summer. I've been promising myself that I'd spray it on lavishly when I finish my work for the year and go on Christmas vacation, which just happened, oh, ten minutes ago. So I type this in a cloud of Sushi Imperiale.

Crayfish

Edited to add: The ginger that I get here is definitely not dried ginger, not much to do with gingerbread. It's fresh or candied ginger root, or the ginger in strong ginger beer (as opposed to ginger ale).
    Last edited by Crayfish; 21st December 2008 at 04:25 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920 - does anyone else smell the 'fruit punch' note?

It mentions mulling spices in the Luckyscent review.

Just Thursday night, I bought some apple cider and mulling spices and made some spiced cider on the kitchen stove. The smell as IN-credible! My favorite kind of smell.

But SI only smells like this after it dries down.

It's very fruity and sweet on me, but I do get spices in the background as well. It's kinda blurry to me, so I guess I agree with irish about the 'disorganized' part. The thing that popped into my head at first was "why so synthetic smelling." It's actually quite nice, but as my girlfriend said -- "You can do better than this."

And yes, the emphasis isn't on cinnamon at all.
    Last edited by moltening; 21st December 2008 at 05:19 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    It's very fruity and sweet on me, but I do get spices in the background as well. It's kinda blurry to me, so I guess I agree with irish about the 'disorganized' part. The thing that popped into my head at first was "why so synthetic smelling." It's actually quite nice, but as my girlfriend said -- "You can do better than this."

And yes, the emphasis isn't on cinnamon at all.
    Nice to hear that others are having similar experiences with this one, as I am. The drydown was the best part of it - sort of a Opium Pour Homme / Trumper's Sandalwood tangy, oriental aura. But with remnants of that aforementioned syrupy, fruity note. Which IMO ruins it, for this scent.

I had high hopes at first reading about the concept and the name of the fragrance... Actually Sushi Imperiale was a big letdown to me: the start was realy intriguing, slightly marine and salty without being ozonic then turning to what's to me the vanilla burbon part of Opium PH but more boring, without the balsamic thickness of the Tolu balm in Opium (which makes it really interesting and deep). In Sushi Imperiale the drydown is pure candied ginger with slightly woody undertones.
    IMO it's not worth the price to smell like vanilla burbon and candied ginger in a wooden plate. I'd better buy a big bottle of Opium PH instead which also has the nice blackcurrant fruity-zesty opening.

To me it smelled of ginger. As for mock-ginger, I feel Sushi Imperial is called that based on the marinated ginger that comes with sushi, but I could be kidding myself. That would explain why it isn't just ginger, and why it is a bit medicinal.