Code of Conduct

Default What does 'powdery' mean in a fragrance?

I have come across this browsing male fragrances. What exactly does this mean?

Default Re: What does 'powdery' mean in a fragrance?

Welcome to Basenotes, Man from Shalimar!
    That's a great question, and I'm hoping one of our resident experts will answer. I'm a relative newbie, and I think of powdery fragrances as developing a dry, talc-y scent, similar to the dusting powder many women (and some men) used to wear (these days not so much). It's very hard for me to describe, though I could give you plenty of examples of fragrances that I think of as powdery (Arpege and Fleurs de Rocaille being two that spring to mind). Hopefully someone wiser than moi will come up with an answer.....^_^

I take powdery to mean almost dry in "texture" (it feels dry when you smell it), and with a smell that reminds you of talc or powder make-up.
    Iris (Orris) and Heliotrope (or the synthetic used to represent it) give a powdery feel to a fragrance. For a few representatives of Iris, Chanel No 19 is Iris-Oakmoss (powdery chypre), Prada Infusion d'Homme is a clean, crisp and very dry Iris, Prada Infusion d'Iris is a sweeter, warmer Iris, and Dior Homme shows off the powdery quality to Iris best during it's heart, after about an hour of wearing.
    Heliotrope in Ghost Sweetheart gives it a powdery-sweet smell.
    Powdery isn't the same as dusty - which is shown off well in Guerlain Habit Rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes, Man from Shalimar!
    That's a great question, and I'm hoping one of our resident experts will answer. I'm a relative newbie, and I think of powdery fragrances as developing a dry, talc-y scent, similar to the dusting powder many women (and some men) used to wear (these days not so much). It's very hard for me to describe, though I could give you plenty of examples of fragrances that I think of as powdery (Arpege and Fleurs de Rocaille being two that spring to mind). Hopefully someone wiser than moi will come up with an answer.....^_^
    Hi Lizzie. Thanks.
    I'm still not sure whatever it means. I'm pretty new to smelling the more exclusive natural fragrances. I will get some by Floris this week as they are on sale in a store over here.

Here's a thread on which the same question is asked:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=213437
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thanks I'll check that out.