Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A gift for my youthful 48yo father

Hello! I'm once again posting on the men's side in the hopes that you wonderful gentlemen can help me once again in finding an appropriate fragranced gift. Last time, I was looking for the perfect 18th gift for my brother, and ended up going with Bulgari Aqua after some WONDERFUL recs here. It turned out to be a very successful gift, so a BIG thank you for the help!!

This time I'm looking for a new fragrance for my father. He is 48, currently single and still looks and acts more youthful than what his real age is! He has and likes Unforgivable (but wishes it lasted longer) and has almost finished a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver. He also has something by Joop, but I'm not sure which one it is so that's not too helpful.

Anyway, I'm hoping to find something in the $40-$70 price range, and easily obtained from department stores. I was thinking something that is good for going out, with something of a 'youthful' energy. He's recently broken up with the woman he dated after splitting with my mum, so something appropriate for hitting the dating scene again would be appropriate.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Default Re: A gift for my youthful 48yo father

Burberry London! Burberry London! Burberry London!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to suggest Guerlain Vetiver before I even read your complete post but then realized he's just emptied a bottle of this.

Depending on the weather in Sydney now, you'd need something that can be worn in the warmer weather..May I suggest

Acqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta - its got this beautiful floral note with some citrus in it.
    Chanel Allure Sport Blanche edition - the newest Chanel for men and its just gorgeous.

I am not sure how well your father would take to the smell of 'Dior Homme' but I can tell you, that if it works well on his skin its another extremely beautiful scent.

Since he likes 'Unforgiveable', he can also try Bond no. 9 Wall Street. It is in the same league as Unforgiveable and lasts much longer.

You can perhaps get smaller bottles of all these for around $70-$80 mark from online stores...maybe for even less.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Tavorna, well done for being so thoughtful and considerate. The world needs more of you!

You should be able to find D&G Pour Homme, or the Original Burberry for Men (1995) discounted in chemists. They both work well and so do John Varvatos and Terre d' Hermes.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Tavorna, well done for being so thoughtful and considerate. The world needs more of you!

You should be able to find D&G Pour Homme, or the Original Burberry for Men (1995) discounted in chemists. They both work well and so do John Varvatos and Terre d' Hermes.
    D G pour homme is great.....Super safe and very sexy!

Check Envy also....great option by Gucci
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming he liked the Guerlain Vetiver, I'd second the recommendation for Terre d'Hermes, which you can get at Perfume Empire in Sydney (they have quite a few stores, check their website) for $77.95. Would also suggest Lalique Encre Noire, but that one feels a little more "mature" compared to Terre's "youth"!

On the youthful, summery front, you could sample Guerlain Homme and Dior Homme Sport.
    Last edited by Santemon; 22nd December 2008 at 03:39 AM.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Post Thanks / Like

Very classy, timeless scent -- Dior's Eau Sauvage. It is lovely, and gets good response!
    And DO check out Encre Noir. If he likes Guerlain's Vetiver, he would like that too.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 22nd December 2008 at 03:23 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

So, we get the same rec's for a 48 yo that we do for a 60 yo (different thread).

Can't say I can fault the choices, and Terre d'Hermes, Guerlain Vetiver, Dior Eau Sauvage, etc., are all fine fragrances...

Post Thanks / Like

DH is 48. He does not share my love (obsession) for perfume, but he wears: Terre d'Hermes, Kuorus, Dolce & Gabanna Homme, Nemo, Eau de Baux (by L'Occitane).

I am editing my post to say that I do not recommend buyin Kuorus as a gift. It is a "love it or hate it" fragrance. Very controversial.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 22nd December 2008 at 04:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tavorna,

You probably couldn't go past another bottle of the Vetiver frankly - but this will be cheaper at Perfume Empire than at Myers or DJs - $39 for the 75ml

I second the Terre d' Hermes, but I doubt you'll get it in your price range. The new Paco Rabanne '1 Million' might be worth a shot - an old school fragrance, and you might get it on sale.

CK Obsession For Men might be worth a look - as well as any of the Aramis range.

Some of the 'gift sets' at DJs and Myers are worth a close look.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme - if you could find it at your price point.

Good luck.

How about CdG Man2 - it's a veitver-based scent that also smells of cedar and incense. It doesn't have great longevity though.

You might also try Lalique Encre Noire, which takes vetiver in a darker direction. This stuff is brilliant.

I'd also look at:

Third Man - Caron
    l'Anarchiste - Caron
    Yatagan - Caron
    Richard James EdT - Richard James
    Fahrenheit - Dior

Kouros is great too, but I agree that it's perhaps a bit too "distinctive" for a gift. Additionally, the women he'll be dating may have bad memories of discos crowded with boys dressed in their "Miami Vice" best and reeking of the stuff...
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

Cartier Declaration, that's what definitely what can fit the bill!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd second Asha's rec for Dior's Eau Sauvage.

Post Thanks / Like

awwwww thats so cute....such a supportive daughter to her father....he did a great job raising his little one. =)

I'd recommend if you're looking for spicier edge - Juicy Couture Dirty English

or super sweet, super strong and highly appealing to females, and yet not that common at all - Paco Rabane Black XS

also - D&G The One
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

As a Vetiver afficianado, I'm going waaaaaay out on a limb with this recommendation, but here goes: Unscripted by Avon. Just released, this EDT features a pleasant, eminently wearable blend of lavender, vetiver and cedar. Perfumer Yves Cassar has eliminated all rough edges. Although short on longevity(!), the quality of the fragrance itself and the price point are exactly where you wanted to be. Encre Noir, on the other hand, features a heavy, edgy Vetiver bourbon note, which one either appreciates or dislikes. I must admit to the latter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Paco Robanne XS
    Chanel Anteaus
    Terre de Hermes
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Boucheron Jaipur
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Burberry Brit
    Bulgari Aqua
    Last edited by silverbullet; 22nd December 2008 at 09:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Tavorna - have you gone shopping yet ?

I walked through Myers this morning, and none of the suggestions above are going to hit your price range.

Option 1: YSL Jazz is on 'sale' at $59 for the large bottle - I think this is your best choice (assuming you can't get to Pefume Empire or similar, and get the large Vetiver)

Option 2: In 30ml sizes you can get Armani White Diamonds for Men, and one or two others - and these will be in your price range.

Good luck (again).

Post Thanks / Like

Anteaus by Chanel
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

Try something like Gucci pour Homme for a wonderful woody scent - it's really magnificent. Also give a look at Costume National Scent Intense for something a bit more floral. I've got plenty of other thoughts but at that price range, those are the two I'd recommend the most! LD
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I have a MASSIVE list to suss out. I'm leaving work in half an hour to go to the mall and have a sniff - hopefully I can find lots of the suggestions here. Oh, and I have a Perfume Connection store that is often a bit cheaper than Myer and DJs, so I'm hoping I can get the gift from there!

Thanks everyone....
    ..it's time to CHOOSE soon!

I'll report back later to let you know what I ended up purchasing.

John Varvatos, original. Passes for mature yet still retains its youthfulness.

I also like the Rive Gauche and Gucce homme recos.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and daughter got me, 48 years old, Burberry Brit. Very nice, very appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Cartier Declaration, that's what definitely what can fit the bill!
    I 2nd that..........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tavorna View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I have a MASSIVE list to suss out. I'm leaving work in half an hour to go to the mall and have a sniff - hopefully I can find lots of the suggestions here. Oh, and I have a Perfume Connection store that is often a bit cheaper than Myer and DJs, so I'm hoping I can get the gift from there!

Thanks everyone....
    ..it's time to CHOOSE soon!

I'll report back later to let you know what I ended up purchasing.
    So, what did you give your dad?

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

I will repeat Terre d'Hermes
    Also, check out all of the Burberry frags (I especially like London).
    l'Anarchiste is also very nice (and reasonably priced).