Code of Conduct

Default can you take perfume on planes?

last time i heard you couldnt take ANYTHING liquid, is this still in case? im going on a cruise jan 3 so i wanted to be sure from now, if they dont allow it that would REALLY suck...any personal feedback on this? i tried googling this but the results were pretty much 50/50 some people said yes some no. i dont wanna take anything to have it thrown away infront of me, thanks.

Default Re: can you take perfume on planes?

Current rules:

The Official TSA 3-1-1 Liquid Carry-On Rule

3-ounce containers or smaller of liquids, gels, creams, pastes & aerosols
    All liquids, gels, creams, pastes & aerosols carried onto a plane by passengers must be in containers that are 3-ounces or smaller in size.
    1 quart-size, clear plastic, zip-top bag holding all 3-ounce or smaller containers
    All 3-ounce containers of liquid, gel, cream or paste must fit into a single quart-size,
    clear plastic, zip-top bag, which limits the amount each passenger can bring.
    1 bag per traveler allowed to be carried onto the airplane
    Each passenger can carry only one quart-size bag on to the plane. The bag will be
    placed in a security bin for easier x-ray screening at security checkpoints.

Future changes to rules:

TSA to relax rules on liquids

The federal Transportation Security Administration will ease restrictions on liquid carry-on items at major U.S. airports next year and lift them altogether by 2010, according to the agency's top executive.
    Writing at www.tsa.gov/blog, TSA Administrator Kip Hawley said that new advanced technology, or "AT," X-ray equipment should be in major airports by next fall. That will allow size restrictions on carry-on liquids to be lifted, although passengers will still have to place them in a separate bin.
    By late 2010, travelers will be able to keep non-hazardous fluids in any size container enclosed in their carry-on bags while passing through security.
    "When it comes to liquids, everybody involved with checkpoint operations -- passengers, airlines, airports and TSA employees -- agrees there has to be a better way," Hawley wrote.
    TSA in August 2006 imposed restrictions on fluids in airline carry-on luggage after authorities thwarted a plot to bomb trans-Atlantic passenger fights with liquid explosives. Since then U.S. passengers have been limited to 3.4-ounce or smaller vials of liquids that can fit into a single, one-quart plastic Ziploc bag.
    TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis said the new AT equipment was being deployed first to the nation's busiest airports. She did not know when it would come to Pittsburgh International Airport, which last year ranked 45th in terms of passenger traffic.
    JoAnn Jenny, spokeswoman for Pittsburgh International Airport, said local passengers would welcome the change.
    "It would definitely assist those who chose not to check their bags, especially with the fees for checked baggage," Jenny said. "It would give people more options when packing, and allow them to save some money."
    Last edited by noggs; 22nd December 2008 at 02:01 AM.

is it 3.4oz in total or 3.4oz and under for something? i mean can i take like 7 1.7's in a carry on without a problem? im flying from ny to miami if that makes any difference. i think you can still put them in your suitcase(is there any limit to have many you can have?) but i really dont want to do this because i would be pissed if any were to break which isnt uncommon to happen,

It's not 3.4oz, it's 3.0oz. You can only take as many as will fit into a single quart-size clear bag (and they must be in the bag). What I do - and I haven't had a problem yet - is decant a few fragrances into 2.5ml spray atomizers and/or bring a few 15ml, 7.5, or 5ml minis with me. I've personally never had a problem keeping them in my toiletry bag, but they could technically confiscate them this way. Of course you can always pack what you want in your checked baggage, but make sure it's well packed.

Blog Entries

Just so you know, the 3.0oz limit is for carry-on baggage. If you are checking your baggage in and have larger size bottles in the checked baggage, then there is no restriction.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

No, the 3 oz. is not the total amount, but the largest size in a single bottle. You can carry as many smaller bottles that will fit into a quart sized plastic bag.

One question I never had answered, though, is that most perfume bottles are 3.3 or 3.4 oz., and if allowances are made for that small amount over the size limit.

It is strange, because in Europe and Asia they tell you the size limit is 100ml, which is equivalent to 3.3 or 3.4 oz., a slightly larger amount.

Does anyone know anymore about this? Thanks.

noggs

The limit on single containers is 3 oz not 3.3 oz or 3.4 oz. So full 100ml bottles of perfume cannot be taken in carry-on.

I assume that <90% full 100 ml bottles are technically allowed, but I wouldn't want to risk confiscation.

i cant really decant anything because i dont have anything to put them in and all my cologne have the spray thingy on the top, is it possible to take them out?
    i guess i can put a few under the 3oz limit in the bag then, but if lets say the person who im checking in with was being a bitch and makes a fuss about having like 5 1.7's in the bag(can they?) would i be given the option to add them to my suitcase or is this the point of no return for them? the last time i been on a plane was in 2000 so i have no idea who they work.
    Last edited by xclusive; 22nd December 2008 at 03:17 AM.

yeah it read the 3.4oz thing wrong. i dont think they go from how much is actually in the bottle but the whatevers on the bottle's label saying is the size
    Last edited by xclusive; 22nd December 2008 at 03:19 AM.

I only take decants. If I buy perfume when I am traveling, I put the bottle in my checked luggage.

what would be the safest way to put them in the checked luggage? i was thinking to stuff them in my sneakers but i think i'd stick to flip flops now mmmmm, bubble wrap maybe?

Safest way is nested in something soft. Bubble wrap would be fine, especially since you can think ahead and do it that way! It also would be a good idea to put it in a plastic bag in case of leakage.

yes, the bottles tend to leak all the way when I travel by air.
    So plastic sealed bags over bubbled wrap is a good option!

I always take two bottles with me - and in luggage only. Because the customs check happens after the time they take luggage aboard. And I don`t want my bottles went to thrash bin.

(By the way - in India the thrash bins in airports are full of lighters, forks and knives, matches and the stuff like that. And they politely asks you to throw it to the bins. Also alcohol, etc. I believe each day is a happy day for the Indian officers)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I took over the entire line of Acqua Di Gio products to France in sizes and bags they weren't supposed to be in and didn't get caught. Lucky me.

AFAIK there's no problem whatsoever with putting bottles of perfume in your cargo luggage, as long as you don't bring it on board in your hand luggage. I actually called my airline (Airfrance KLM) today because I needed to know myself.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    yes, the bottles tend to leak all the way when I travel by air.
    That's really strange. My wife and I have carried well over a hundred bottles by air, and never had a leak.

The other curiosity in this thread is how most of the world works on 100ml bottles while the US works on 3 oz bottles.

The only bottles I know to come in that 3 oz size are Brut Cologne and Jovan Musk for Men - glad I'm not flying to the US any time soon.
    Renato

There are just few items launched in 3 oz/90 ml bottles:
    Boss Selection/Soul/In Motion/various Baldessarinis,Lacoste Elegance,KenzoAir,CerrutiSi,L'Homme by Guerlain,Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme,etc

(Oh yeah,I googled ).
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

We traveled by plane this summer and were told that the 3.0 oz. refers to the stated fluid ounce volume on the container, not the actual amount of fluid remaining. Don't try to squeak by with a 90% full 3.4 oz. bottle unless you are willing to potentially have it confiscated. Decant or pack the bottle in your checked luggage.

On a recent trip from Madrid to Buenos Aires I took a 30 Ml bottle of Heno de Pravia eau de cologne. The person in charge told me it was OK, the content was less than the regulations stated.

BTW, It really came in handy: a passanger boarded with her siamese cat. Of course, it was in a cage. But take in mind the trip takes 12 hours, that actually means that any poor animal in that situation will end up being the smelly thing no one wants to deal with. Well, I spent the last four hours of the trip with a handkerchief soaked with Heno de Pravia on my nose. The stink was unbearable.

I felt like a drugaddict. But my neighbours envied me!

Excessive details follow, just in case they're useful:

I've taken three plane flights in the past two months - one round trip between the US and Canada and one within the US - and brought perfume on board on all three, properly revealed in my quart ziploc. I also packed perfume in my checked luggage on all three, double-ziplocked against leaks, cushioned with clothes, and when I had the boxes, I put the bottles in their boxes.

On the first flight, as a sort of test, I carried on a couple of decants and a travel mini that I could tolerate being confiscated.

Since that went well, on the return flight I carried on three newly-purchased 30- or 50-mil bottles, all crowded into my little quart Ziploc bag, each also padded with extra Ziploc bags so that they'd get some protection but still be fully visible. . After I got through security I put them back into their nice secure boxes.

On the third, I carried on a Ziploc with probably two dozen samples and decants, plus the tiny bottles from one of those Chanel sets from this year.

I did, perhaps unnecessarily, avoid carrying hand-labelled perfume (that is, handwritten labels - I printed labels on the computer instead), because I had some notion that obvious handwritten labels might make security nervous. But I don't think that anyone looked close enough to care.

Nothing broke, nothing leaked, and no one at security expressed any concern on any of the flights. So while I wouldn't do this with something unique and irreplaceable, I'm now pretty comfortable with carrying perfume in containers below three ounces on the plane.

On the decants, I just made my decants by spraying carefully into the decant bottle. It made for a multi-scented hand because I mis-sprayed now and then, but it worked fine, and no issue with removing the lid or spilling.

Crayfish
    Last edited by Crayfish; 22nd December 2008 at 05:41 PM.

Whether it's 3oz (US) or 3.4oz (most other countries), it is the volume of the individual container that really matters, providing the total volume of all ontainers is within limit. If the volume of an item is greater than allowed, it will be confiscated. So, don't carry a half-empty 120ml Creed and gamble. I once had a tube of 105ml tooth paste that was about 3/4 full taken away from me
    Last edited by scensation; 22nd December 2008 at 08:49 PM.

Angry Re: can you take perfume on planes?

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    The federal Transportation Security Administration will ease restrictions on liquid carry-on items at major U.S. airports next year and lift them altogether by 2010, according to the agency's top executive.
    Finally! These rules have been idiotic, ineffectual, and not even well enforced. I've gotten through U.S. airports many times since 2001 with outrageously prohibited items in my bags---usually things I'd forgotten about and found after the flight. If an absent-minded person like me can accidentally board a plane with dangerous weapons, I suppose a malevolent person could do it intentionally.

This absurd, reactionary prohibition on liquids is driven by the desire of officials to be perceived as doing something to protect the public from certain modes of attack, however implausible, that have gotten a lot of press attention. This is all the more infuriating because it diverts resources from actually credible threats.

Quote Originally Posted by scensation View Post
    I once had a tube of 105ml tooth paste that was about 3/4 full taken away from me
    Does this really make anyone (feel) safer? I guess you got unlucky. Some bag-searchers are more fascistic than others, I can also say from experience.
    Last edited by d4; 22nd December 2008 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by d4 View Post
    Finally! These rules have been idiotic, ineffectual, and not even well enforced.
    You're not wrong there.

When I travelled to and around Europe last year, the only place anyone checked our ziplock bags was at the beginning of the trip in Melbourne Australia. No one asked to see them when departing from Vienna, Berlin, Prague or Venice airports.

But at Dubai airport, an official asked everyone individually if they all had their liquids in their plastic bags - each person replied yes - and no one was checked.
    At least he asked.
    Renato

sorry to bring this back up but i wanted to know if its safe to actually put the bottles in my suitcase? i dont have bubble wrap so im just putting them between my clothes, is the chance of them breaking high?

There is always a risk that they might break.

For carry ons, the best advice is to either purchase smaller-than-3 oz bottles of your favorites or to decant them into small bottles. Put them in the required, clear 1 quart ziplock bag and have them at the ready to remove at security.

For check in bags: Put each of your larger-than-3oz bottles of cologne inside a plastic zip lock bag. Put each bag inside a sock and pack them as close as possible to the middle of your luggage (or put otherwise, as far as possible from any of the six sides). I will usually put a few inside any shoes I pack and then place the shoes in a shoe bag and pack them in between layers of clothing. Make sure that they don't move if you close and shake the piece of luggage. They should be snug.

As long as you have isolated the glass bottles with ziplock bags (use double bags for double the insurance) and kept them as far away from the sides of the luggage and snuggly protected within your clothing, you should be ok.

(but nothing in life is a risk free guarantee.)

Griff

thanks for the reply. i had them loose all over but what i did was put them all in this chrome gift box i had and layer them with 2 pairs of boxers lol. the box is pretty hard and its not shaking around so lets hope its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by xclusive View Post
    thanks for the reply. i had them loose all over but what i did was put them all in this chrome gift box i had and layer them with 2 pairs of boxers lol. the box is pretty hard and its not shaking around so lets hope its fine.

That will work, you can also wrap them up in towels and such, just make sure you place the box in the middle of your suitcase. Close suitcase and make it stand up and see where your luggage shifts.

I picked up 3 bottles in france, went to shanghai, flew back to france and then to iceland with the 3 new bottles and I had 3 used bottles in my luggage too. They all survived but I was sooo glad I wrapped my creams and shampoo in plastic bags because they did leak.

Ah yes, wrap everything leakable in plastic bags and close them. Just in case it leaks it wont leak all over your clothes.

In the airplane if you have a long flight think about what you may need, for shanghai I took with me refreshing towelettes and it was heaven to use them after the first 8 hours just to feel vaguely human again. I also brought a small travelsized deo, moisterisers and toothpaste and entertainment. But if a flight is long these little refreshing items are wonderful. Most chemist sell empty travelsize packaging and you can decant creams,lotions,toothpaste everything into them to take onboard or for short trips.

Airconditioning in airplanes is murder on your skin so pack a moisteriser too.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

the flight is about 3 hours from ny to florida. 6:05am to around 9. i think i should be fine though bored as hell... i also wrapped the box around my towel now for extra extra protection lol.