Code of Conduct

Default First perfume for two little girls

I am looking for scents for my two young nieces. They are twelve and fourteen, the youngest is bright and lively and loves to chatter away to friends; the older is quiet and thoughtful, loves to read and paint. I am at a loss finding suitable scents. Help please!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: First perfume for two little girls

Why not take them shopping and let them sniff a variety of perfumes to see what they like?

I remember my aunt gave me Chantilly at around that age. I bought my nieces scents for Christmas this year. I wanted to get them addicted but didn't want to buy anything that would be too juvenile or freak their mom out. So I chose two Guerlain Aqua Allegorias for them: rosa magnifica and anisia bella. They are beautiful and light and yet have a bit of complexity.

If you are looking for a more "mainstream" suggestion, a couple of my friends have bought VW Princess for their daughters.

Antaeus

Off-Scenter

You might find a thread I launched while hunting down a scent for my 11 year-old daughter helpful: Scent for a little lady...

I eventually settled on Apres l'Ondee, having tested Mimosa pour Moi, Drole de Rose, Cristalle, Chamade, Annick Goutal Chevrefeuille, Vanilia, and Aimez-Moi.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 22nd December 2008 at 11:57 PM.

YSL, Kouros? (I am very kidding). I think they have Disney scents for little kids; that may be nice.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 22nd December 2008 at 11:56 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

This fragrance is part of my wardrobe, however, it was designed for children, and the decant I gave to a 6-year-old proved very popular with her and her little sis. It's more light citrus than floral.

La Rose du Petit Prince, available from Beauty Habit and other places, too. See reviews at MUA.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Why not try D&G Light Blue or YSL Baby Doll Paris for the youngest, and Kenzo Flower or JPG Gaultier^2 for the older one? My girlfriend is very bright, happy & bubbly and wears Baby Doll, while her sister is much more artistic, quiet and shy & she loves Flower and Gaultier^2
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Or...how about giving them a sampler of 5 ml decants to try? Perhaps one from each major fragrance family.

I think the bubbly one would like Pink Sugar and I second VW Princess. Also, Viva La Juicy, or one of the Harajuku perfumes by Gwen Stefani.

I don't know why, but I want to put the quiet one in a beautiful floral. I think of Stella by Stella McCartney when you describe her. I don't only get flowers though cause eventually my sweet tooth takes over. I can see her in Elixir Des Merveilles, Lolita Lempicka, and VW Princess.

You didn't exactly give us a price range. So, I'm not sure what your limit is. I can tell you that the classics never fail. I started off like many with Loves Baby Soft. Good luck and come back and let us know what you found and if they liked any of our choices you may have decided to go with.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I think that it would be fun to take them shopping, enjoy their reactions to scents. Having said that, I recommend AG Petite Cherie. Of course, when I was twelve, I was wearing Bal a Versailles!

maybe lacoste touch of pink for the younger one and erm, armani mania for the older one. touch of pink seems to be for the more free spirited girl and mania to me seems fruity yet not too girly but nice. hope i helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    I think the bubbly one would like Pink Sugar and I second VW Princess. Also, Viva La Juicy, or one of the Harajuku perfumes by Gwen Stefani.

I don't know why, but I want to put the quiet one in a beautiful floral. I think of Stella by Stella McCartney when you describe her. I don't only get flowers though cause eventually my sweet tooth takes over. I can see her in Elixir Des Merveilles, Lolita Lempicka, and VW Princess......
    I have to second Pink Sugar, VW Princess and any of the Harajuku Lovers. The Harajuku's might be especially fun for the youngest, since the bottles are shaped like dolls.

Another option would be decants. Maybe you could get a couple of 5ml spray vials and make a couple of gift baskets. Perhaps you could even add some fragrant lotions or some lipgloss.
    Last edited by Ruqayya33; 24th December 2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spellllllllllling
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

I would stick to something that uses natural essences, since they are so young. Maybe Speziali Fiorentini scents? Or L'Erbolario? Both are from Italy, can be found on shoplondons.com and they aren't expensive, either.

At beautyhabit.com, Cote Bastide makes some beautiful and simple ones from Provence France, so does Provence Sante and Pre de Provence. My sister and I received our first scents at that age, they were Orange Blossom edt's. We both still love that note.

Light and Innocent niche
    Petite Cherie, La chasse de Papillion, Hanae Mori , Mure et Musc,

Maybe a bit stronger and less innocent mainstream
    Lacoste touch of pink
    Kenzo Flowers or Amour
    Lovely by SJP
    City Glam by Armani
    Any of the Gwen fragrances
    Escada line

You could also try places like TBS and Yves Rocher for some light wearing fragrances.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Update: beautyencounter.com carries some of the Speziali Fiorentini scents and they have a 15% off code good until Jan 5, which is listed on their homepage, or you can find it here in the discount section. They come in pretty little bottles with bows and enchanting packaging.

http://perfume.beautyencounter.com/s...w=grid&cnt=300

I went through a similar exercise with my 15 yo niece earlier this year and she settled for Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely with Chanel Coco Mademoiselle a close second, after much sniffing around. It was a lot of fun going around smelling fragrances with her and I would recommend you do that with your nieces too. Apart from these two, you could also try Annick Goutal's Petite Cherie, Eau de Camille and Eau de Charlotte. You could also look at the L'Artisan line - including Vanilia, Mure et Musc. My personal feeling is to expose young people to real fragrances and hopefully build an appreciation of them rather than Barbie or Disney type ones which they will outgrow quickly.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Also look into Hello Kitty. Even us "older" girls still love Hello Kitty. I dont like anything too heavy and this particular one is light and sweet. Its sugary notes are laced with Violets, Jasmine and Roses. It also has a warm citrusy top note (hehehe ok so I borrowed the description)

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/hello-kitty-perfume-2