Code of Conduct

Default Patou Pour Homme - for those like me who are keen to know wht it smells like

it takes the best of PDN New York and Hermes Equipage...there..i said it...sue me now..

it's definitely better than both combined and takes the scent three notch above NY and 5 above Equipage. PPH is extremely long lasting. so two sprays should last you whole day. the midnotes are just "remarkable". dry shrubs seems to grow around/on area of application and sorta sway in wind. the aura is surreal and the olfactory clarity is just as Hologram..

whether it's worth that price? i have always had the opinion that the price and the scent shouldnt be compared. I can't afford a Aston Martin or a bugatti, doesnt mean it's over-rated bottom line, yes, to me, it's worth it. and if it's really fading away from the face of earth...well thn we all have to rush..we don't have much time left
    Last edited by jenson; 22nd December 2008 at 10:58 AM.

Default Re: Patou Pour Homme - for those like me who are keen to know wht it smells like

it takes the best of PDN New York and Hermes Equipage...there..i said it...sue me now..
    You'll be hearing from my lawyers
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Default Re: Patou Pour Homme - for those like me who are keen to know wht it smells like

Indeed. It can be certified that Patou pour Homme may in fact be THE best fragrance ever, and if it took en masse infant sacrifice to bring it back into production, it would be a small price to pay.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 22nd December 2008 at 11:42 AM.

Yeah, we need more threads like this so that maybe one day someone from the P&G exec team will finally take notice. One PPH thread every day that's the way..
    For those who're going to say it's overpriced - please don't quote prices from 10 years ago and name one current frag that has Mysore as one of the notes and that's priced under $150 - if you can find any, that is.

I think we have to face the sad truth that this will never be produced again. It is just made of stuff which is too expensive - maybe as a bespoke but that would cost a fortune.

If only niche frags these days could be made of stuff this good, with this much skill in the blend.....
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    and if it took en masse infant sacrifice to bring it back into production, it would be a small price to pay.
    Ok, now you've really started to creep me out

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post

it's definitely better than both combined and takes the scent three notch above NY and 5 above Equipage. PPH is extremely long lasting. so two sprays should last you whole day. the midnotes are just "remarkable". dry shrubs seems to grow around/on area of application and sorta sway in wind. the aura is surreal and the olfactory clarity is just as Hologram..

whether it's worth that price? i have always had the opinion that the price and the scent shouldnt be compared. I can't afford a Aston Martin or a bugatti, doesnt mean it's over-rated bottom line, yes, to me, it's worth it. and if it's really fading away from the face of earth...well thn we all have to rush..we don't have much time left
    I haven't found a more elegant, comforting scent yet.......and it's not from a lack of searching. My depleted funds are a testament to this fact. All the stars were lined up correctly when Kerleo made this one.

It really is THAT good.

I may be the lone voice of dissent here.. but Patou Pour Homme smells like an ashtray.
    Give me Privé, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    I may be the lone voice of dissent here.. but Patou Pour Homme smells like an ashtray.
    !
    ashtray? even on lsd i won't get tht kinda impression..

I need to try this.

Basenotes Institution

I tried for the 1st time a couple weeks ago. It's nice, I kind of didn't like the topnotes, but the middle notes are as jenson said quite stunning.

I'm still not sure if this is full bottle worthy for me, though.

ashtray? even on lsd i won't get tht kinda impression..
    Well, to me it does.
    (I don't think acid produces olfactory hallucinations, but...)

Perhaps a beautiful Waterford crystal ashtray on an exquisite antique bronze art nouveau stand in an opulent leather walled gentleman's lounge.. but an ashtray, no less.

I bought Patou PH blind based on the reviews here. It just wasn't a right fit for me, so I ended up swapping it away for something I feel is much more my style.
    I've been able to pull off "retro-chic", but this falls into " trying too hard" territory for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    Well, to me it does.
    (I don't think acid produces olfactory hallucinations, but...)

Perhaps a beautiful Waterford crystal ashtray on an exquisite antique bronze art nouveau stand in an opulent leather walled gentleman's lounge.. but an ashtray, no less.

I bought Patou PH blind based on the reviews here. It just wasn't a right fit for me, so I ended up swapping it away for something I feel is much more my style.
    I've been able to pull off "retro-chic", but this falls into " trying too hard" territory for me.
    hey! i didnt mean to be pushy! you are one of my good freinds on BN! i understand and totally respect your opinion.... again, sorry!

hey! i didnt mean to be pushy! you are one of my good freinds on BN! i understand and totally respect your opinion.... again, sorry!
    Likewise.
    No worries, brother. Nothing missing, nothing broken.

A couple of questions:

(1) Does anyone know when this was discontinued?

(2) If you find it, what is the likelihood the juice is still good?

The reviews in the basenotes directory are generally very positive. As of now, there are 23 positives, 2 neutrals and a negative. That's good. However, one of the recent reviewers makes the following observeration:

I ordered a sample of this from TPC, and I could swear, the top notes were turned off a bit. It really did smell very unhealthy indeed, so guys, be aware if you`re going to buy a full bottle. We know it isn`t cheap, so it could be a disasterful suprise.
    I presume this was discontinued a long time ago, and naturally the bottle should have been at least well stored, otherwise the time could have done some damage.

Reading that makes me NOT want to plop 8 bucks down for a mil to try.

Comments?

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    A couple of questions:

The reviews in the basenotes directory are generally very positive. As of now, there are 23 positives, 2 neutrals and a negative. That's good. However, one of the recent reviewers makes the following observeration:

I ordered a sample of this from TPC, and I could swear, the top notes were turned off a bit. It really did smell very unhealthy indeed, so guys, be aware if you`re going to buy a full bottle. We know it isn`t cheap, so it could be a disasterful suprise.
    I presume this was discontinued a long time ago, and naturally the bottle should have been at least well stored, otherwise the time could have done some damage.

Comments?
    I'm unsure as to what year it was dc'ed. I have purchased it twice in 2008. The 2nd purchase the juice was slightly darker simply from age and some of the top notes burning away because of it. It went to the heart notes quicker, but that was the only difference.

Any purchase of a discontinued fragrance can be a gamble since we don't know how the seller (s) stored it all those years. I ended up paying $3 per ml (bottle) both times and to me it was worth it. However, I would not pay $8 for any fragrance.

Gupts has a dozen of these BNIB...it all boils down to the user. i would only buy it from someone i know and whose reputation precedes them on ebay. if the juice is not decanted and the lid is opened way too frequently, the chances are the juice might loose some of it;s characteristics...

with the sample if got from AromiErotici (a generous sample at dirt cheap price...you are just . i woudl recommend everyone ot use his sample and sale program...way too generous this man)...i had 2 times+errands whole afternoon+sweat+7 hours = still going strong!! fuckin insanely sexy stuff. regading the smell, if you appreciate scents like PDN New York, this will blow you away.

Exclamation Re: Patou Pour Homme - for those like me who are keen to know wht it smells like

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    if it took en masse infant sacrifice to bring it back into production, it would be a small price to pay.
    Hell, I'd say it would kill two birds with one stone.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    A couple of questions:

Comments?
    Awhile ago I read an article about Patou brand where it was said that after P&G took over many perfumes inc. the men's line were discontinued. P&G bought JP in 2001 and I believe that was the last year when PPH was produced. If you're lucky you can still find it in some small perfume shops which would be hardly possible if it was made only for a couple of years like some say. Also, the old basenotes site (from 2000 or 2001) did not list it among discontinued frags at that time.

Any perfume can go off if not properly stored. As for top notes, they're the most volatile, e.g. citruses in general deteriorate very quickly (unless synthetic). Therefore if you want an 8+ year old frag to have perfect top notes better save your money. Top notes are usually gone within couple of minutes, heart & base can last for hours so I don't know what's the problem. Perhaps the person who wrote the review quoted above didn't like PPH so for him/her it was off?

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    The 2nd purchase the juice was slightly darker simply from age and some of the top notes burning away because of it.
    Again (maybe you remember my msg to you through ebay?), I have some PPH juice that is much lighter or clearer than what the official photo add shows http://www.memory-pub.com/images/thu...29_300x300.JPG
    Most PPH pics you'll find show the juice in its typical darkish ambery shade. I believe that was its original colour. The light yellowish or greenish stuff had simply less or different pigment added to it. Even the colour of the boxes varied, I had boxes with different shades of brown, e.g. one dark brown box came with the dark amber juice inside and another one with much lighter brown tinge had the greenesh juice in the bottle.

I remember Patou being quite wonderful. To me, a bit like Guerlain Heritage, Creed's BdP or at least in that family. It has been 20 years though and I could be off by quite a bit.

It would be great if we could find money and buy this formula and the 1934 Dunhill (both owned by P&G) and market them to the kind of folks that would appreciate some of the best. I really don't think the retail costs that wold be necesary would stop the buyers that would like and appreciate the products offered. (look at Creed pricing, Joy, ect)

ps I'll participate in a investment club that could be set up.
    Last edited by richard d; 23rd December 2008 at 08:19 PM.