Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default If DH likes these, what else might he like?

This old nose knows what she likes, but helping another person locate their favorite scents (even when you've been married to that person for 30 years next month) is tricky, and I'm glad I don't have to make a living as an SA.

Now, my dear, dear husband absolutely loves to wear Stella Rose Absolute. I've lost count of the number of bottles I've gotten for him. He says applying SRA is his favorite part of his evening shower routine. He likes the rosey opening notes most of all, while I prefer the later aura of dark, sweet amber.

I've tossed samples his way over the years, and none of them has stuck, except yesterday he said he's starting to warm up to the men's Hanae Mori. Thinking he might like sweets and knowing he likes coffee, I just had him try some A*Men Pure Coffee. He said, "It's okay, but flowery and kinda girlie." (This from the guy who wears Stella!?!)

New Haarlem he likes to sniff, but doesn't care to wear. Rose d'Homme didn't catch his attention. He really enjoys the scent of Demeter's Wet Garden in the air, but doesn't want to wear it. He's worn Baldessarini Del Mar, but doesn't reach for that bottle anymore. I'd be ecstatic if he wore L'Eau de Navigateur, but this isn't about me. On a side note, there's nothing about my frag wardrobe that particularly makes him swoon, but Dzing! and Black Vetyver Cafe are the ones he prefers I wear, and he liked my Michael Storer Stephanie (gardenia) until one day I overapplied and it overstayed its welcome (my bad; time will fix this).

Is anyone seeing a pattern that I'm missing? He's not tiring of SRA, but I'd like for him to be able to enjoy more wonderful scents. Thanks, guys, for applying some brain power to this odd challenge.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: If DH likes these, what else might he like?

I know that I will get hated on for this, but has he tried Green Irish Tweed yet?

I'm saying this biting my tongue a bit but I can see he might like a bit of indolic florals (rose and gardenia) with ambery-woody undertones.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he would like some tuberose themed juices (like fracas, datura noire, carnal flower or even Fire Island i.e.) or some rose juice (like Paestum Rose, Fumerie Turque or L'Ombre dans l'eau). I could even picture him wearing scents like Cartier Le Baisier du dragon or Chanel Coco (the original one).
    About the coffee scents I might not be that helpful not being myself a great coffee scents lover; anyway let me suggest my fav coffee scent that's Bond No. 9 New Haarlem

Rose 31
    Voleur de Roses
    Domenico Caraceni pour Homme (aka 1913)
    Aoud Rose Petals
    Fracas (seconded)
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Thumbs up Re: If DH likes these, what else might he like?

Montale Black Aoud
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Richard James Savile Row
    Creed Fleur de The Rose Bulgare
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Carolina Herrera Chic for Men, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme EDP, Lomani Intense Black, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

My guess would be Habit Rouge. Rose, amber, leather, vanilla. Yum!

Id get him to try Montale Black Aoud, and Lorenzo Villoresi Musk

Basenotes Institution

Everything I wanted to recommend has already been mentioned. Good luck Quarry!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Rose 31
    Voleur de Roses
    Domenico Caraceni pour Homme (aka 1913)
    Aoud Rose Petals
    Fracas (seconded)
    Continuing on the rose theme (and perhaps that's not what you intended when you posed the question), I second all of the above and add Hammam Bouquet.

TwoRoads, this isn't the first time we've come up with almost identical lists. I believe our tastes are nearly the same!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 22nd December 2008 at 09:01 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Continuing on the rose theme (and perhaps that's not what you intended when you posed the question), I second all of the above and add Hammam Bouquet.

TwoRoads, this isn't the first time we've come up with almost identical lists. I believe our tastes are nearly the same!
    How could I have forgotten Hammam Bouquet?

Yes, I have also noticed that you have very good taste in fragrances!
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 22nd December 2008 at 10:04 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

You honeys have struck upon a common theme: You've listed some of my least favorite scents.
    ★☆☆☆☆ = Fracas, Thé Rose Bulgare; don't know about Black, but Montale's Velvet and White Aouds are
    ★★☆☆☆ = GIT, Voleur de Roses, Habit Rouge, Villoresi Musk, Paestrum Rose

DH didn't respond to these when I wore them, so that's helping to abbreviate the to-try list. I used to wear L'Ombre dans L'Eau, and he didn't respond to that either.

I was hoping to offer DH something besides roses, since he's already completely infatuated with SRA, and I don't think anything can top it for him.

Hey, if this scent-hunting were easy, it'd be less of an adventure, and the journey is the joy--or so my husband has often told me.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

How about a rose based scent that goes in a different direction... like Ormonde Jayne's Taif - Taif rose with dates, broom, amber etc. It's very nice in a dry kind of way and I wear it happily as a man, but it doesn't smell like a typical rose scent to me. On a different tack, building on the slightly gourmand Hanae Mori theme, how about Chanel Egoiste? And yes, the fun is in the journey (aka sampling!)
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Blog Entries

If he's liking the men's Hanae Mori (HM), then he may be like me (old school) and wants something with more kick. The HM EDP could fill the bill. It plays up the striking note in HM EDT to the extent that it's unarguably gourmand. A bit sweet - like some kind of coffee liqueur but not coffee. Definitely a different animal than the EDT. Also similar to HM (in my opinion) is Unforgivable, although most people compare it to Creed MI.

Just one more off-the-all suggestion. I liked both A*Men Pure Coffee. and New Haarlem. for their coffee thing, but as I was sniffing the newer Andy Warhol Lexington Avenue., I got a similar vibe that I liked even better. Again, not really coffee, but nice.

Quarry, I recently received Tom Ford White Patchouli as a gift and have worn it a few times. I was thinking something about it seemed really familiar, then it finally dawned on me that it has a bit of a Stella vibe to it. It is utterly synthetic, but for me it really works in this composition. The top is a bit dry, dusty semi-floral and reminds me of Dior Dune. The drydown is a gorgeous soft wood that a man could easily wear. I must warn, though--the first time I smelled it, I was really turned off. But, I gave it a second chance, and I'm glad I did.

Hermes Equipage (floral)
    TF Noir du Noir (chocolate & rose)
    SL Chypre Rouge (sweet chypre)
    FM Carnal Flower (floral)
    Rochas Man (lavendar, chocolate)

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I can see now I have to let DH find his own path. He's begun warming up to a couple fragrances lately, most notably Ted Baker and Hindu Kush, and I'd never have guessed this.

Lesson learned.

Blog Entries

Yeah, you can never predict this stuff. I introduced a friend of mine to the variety of fragrances using the following two guides:

http://perfumeposse.com/2006/05/30/p...f-an-atomizer/
    http://www.perfumeposse.com/?s=leatherfest

Maybe you could do something similar for YDH? When you're starting out, it's those gems that you find that are completely unrelated to anything that you currently love that are really stunning.
    Last edited by kopah; 16th January 2009 at 03:20 AM.