Code of Conduct

Default Visited Guerlain booth today

at Saks on way home, first time i was really there.

They gave me no samples =( which really stinks because I really want to fully understand this house since it i so well highly talked about it here on basenotes

since i was wearing nothing on my wrists and forearms today only had musc ravageur on my chest, i told him i wanted to smell at least Jicky since i heard so much about that. so here is what he sprayed on me on different sides of arms and hands:

Jicky EDP - inital notes are rough but i really love the drydown

Derby - cannot figure out what is so great about this one yet

Mouchoir de Monsieur - barely smell this one, he did it on my forearm i smell hardly anything there? maybe i need to go back and get another spray?

L'Ame d'un Héros - inital top notes were great and now after 2 hours is gone

Spiritueuse Double Vanille - beautiful vanilla and is gorgeous, but with one spray is barely there, and so far i hate to say it not much else i smell but vanilla not very complex to me, i don't know is it worth the price? i really need a few more samplings, maybe it needs more then one spray to fully appreciate it

So right now I am iffy...I see a lot of potential but without any samples I cannot fully test this house at all, it really sucks, I do not expect how they want me to buy it right on the spot.

Funny thing is right after that I went to visit Jo Malone and I was just looking because I knew I could not spray anything else anymore and the manager was extremely nice i was asking what does she recommend for men and i was kind of interested in lavender, i started to spray on a stick to smell, and before i even had to ask she offered to give me samples. She said to sample them and come back. Now that is service!

anyway back to Guerlain, is there anything else from this house you recommend I should definitely sample on my hand next time I am in Saks? is there something you recommend I must try? So far I would say Jicky is the most impressive right now but I still need to sample that one again.
    Last edited by denec; 23rd December 2008 at 02:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Visited Guerlain booth today

My personal favorite is Mitsouko. Give it a try as well as L'heure Bleue and Jicky. Don't be put off that they are targeted toward women. If you have been reading the Guerlain threads you know the afore mentioned are just as applicable for men. Try also Apres L'ondee. I think you will find that Mitsouko is an instant must have. It sounds like going to a different sales associate next time would be in order also. Good luck and I would be interested in hearing your fragrance test findings.

Guerlain doesn't make samples. Jo Malone on the other hand is the queen of samples. Next time in Saks you must try Cologne 68, L'Instant, Habit Rouge, Heritage, Shalimar - trust me and Pour Homme. In the bee bottles you shouldn't miss Attrape Coeur, Sous le Vent, Vetiver Femme and Quand Vient l'Ete. Dip the pointed end of the test strip into the bee bottle as they are not equiped with atomizers. Write down the names on the strips and take them away in different pockets, the scent chemicals will mingle if they are kept together. Sniff them one at a time on the way home and at home. I keep the strips in between book pages, The Guide is good for this, they stay longer that way.
    Don't get frustrated as it takes numerous visits to get your mind around their complex offerings. It's well worth the time.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 23rd December 2008 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Guerlain doesn't make samples.
    I have a sample of Coriolan. Perhaps they stopped.

Actual fragrances aside, it's one of the reasons that I am not a big fan of this house. Companies decide their business models. I have no problems with that. However, as a consumer, I don't want to be pressured into buying anything. At the end of the day, if a company does not supply samples and it is inconvenient for me to keep visiting their outlets to sample their products, they are generally less likely to get a sale from me. It is as simple as that.
    Last edited by scensation; 23rd December 2008 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    I have a sample of Coriolan. Perhaps they stopped.
    I haven't seen a Guerlain sample in the least 5 years. I agree with scensation, Guerlain should make samples.

Sur la Plage

They may not have pre-packaged samples, but they certainly can make samples of anything. They did for me at the Guerlain counter at the San Francisco Neiman Marcus. Plus I know they make samples of Guerlain Homme - I received several of them.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I know they make samples of Guerlain Homme - I received several of them.
    I guess they make samples for the new launches. Forget about Jicky and the classics. I think this is standard for all companies. However, Jo Malone seem to have a sample of everything as does Miller Harris.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 23rd December 2008 at 03:38 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Guerlain makes samples. I've seen them on sale online at places like Ebay and Beauty Encounter (link here)

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    My personal favorite is Mitsouko. Give it a try as well as L'heure Bleue and Jicky. Don't be put off that they are targeted toward women. If you have been reading the Guerlain threads you know the afore mentioned are just as applicable for men. Try also Apres L'ondee. I think you will find that Mitsouko is an instant must have. It sounds like going to a different sales associate next time would be in order also. Good luck and I would be interested in hearing your fragrance test findings.
    Ok I will try those next time I am there thanks for the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Guerlain makes samples. I've seen them on sale online at places like Ebay and Beauty Encounter (link here)
    Wow, I was wrong. But have you ever seen a sample at a Guerlain counter?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 23rd December 2008 at 04:00 AM.

Guerlain doesn't make samples. Jo Malone on the other hand is the queen of samples. Next time in Saks you must try Cologne 68, L'Instant, Habit Rouge, Heritage, Shalimar - trust me and Pour Homme. In the bee bottles you shouldn't miss Attrape Coeur, Sous le Vent, Vetiver Femme and Quand Vient l'Ete. Dip the pointed end of the test strip into the bee bottle as they are not equiped with atomizers. Write down the names on the strips and take them away in different pockets, the scent chemicals will mingle if they are kept together. Sniff them one at a time on the way home and at home. I keep the strips in between book pages, The Guide is good for this, they stay longer that way.
    Don't get frustrated as it takes numerous visits to get your mind around their complex offerings. It's well worth the time.

yep it does sounds like it will take me a while to get through them in the meantime the SA will be hassling me to buy something LOL

i am so tired of them telling me after 5 minutes so what do you think and i am like i never buy on the first sample, i need to wait and see how they drydown, and then he tells me they already drydown, and i am like no i want to see how it will change on my skin and how much longevity I will get...sometimes i really hate SA

I wish Aedes carries this line they do not hassle you at all and give you free sample
    Last edited by denec; 23rd December 2008 at 03:42 AM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    yep it does sounds like it will take me a while to get through them in the meantime the SA will be hassling me to buy something LOL

i am so tired of them telling me after 5 minutes so what do you think and i am like i never buy on the first sample, i need to wait and see how they drydown, and then he tells me they already drydown, and i am like no i want to see how it will change on my skin and how much longevity I will get...sometimes i really hate SA

I wish Aedes carries this line they do not hassle you at all and give you free sample
    I would ask if they could make you some samples - they usually have empty vials/atomizers. You may even want to bring your own empty vials/atomizers with you, just in case - I have before. Most SAs should not have a problem doing this.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 23rd December 2008 at 03:45 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I would ask if they could make you some samples - they usually have empty vials/atomizers. You may even want to bring your own empty vials/atomizers with you, just in case - I have before. Most SAs should not have a problem doing this.
    Yeah i can try that next time

Be sure and try Vetiver and Imperial. Those are my two favorite Guerlains.

I'm also surprised that Guerlain wouldn't want to have a store like Aedes on board. They would do such a good PR job for Guerlain and perhaps, even make them seem hip again. Aedes is amazing.

I'm also surprised that Guerlain wouldn't want to have a store like Aedes on board. They would do such a good PR job for Guerlain and perhaps, even make them seem hip again. Aedes is amazing.

I might go back to the booth today or might go to Aedes at lunch since it not too cold today

havent decided

I am addicted to this hobby now LOL

Ive never had any freg samples from my local Guerlain counter , they tell me they never get any but I got several small 5ml boxed bottles in with my recent order from Guerlain Paris .

As for SDV definatly give it another go , its magic

I would also suggest you try Vetiver , Heritage and Habit Rouge too

Guerlain produces samples at their factory, but I've only seen them in Paris or by mail from Paris when I deliberately ask for them. I've received samples of anything they make, from the classics to the exclusives. They come in very neat small tubes inside thick paper envelopes à la Hèrmes, but true, I have never seen them outside of Paris.

My favorites so far - I have a limited experience with this house - are Shalimar and Mistsouko. They're classics; check them out if you have the chance.

I gotta agree with Pour_Monsieur here dont dismisss SDV just yet. Although it might seems very simple at first there is also pipe tobacco, rum, caramel, Incense, Rose, and Cedar in there.

I might go back today maybe hit Bergdorf instead I think they have a booth as well right? though I do not recall seeing it

I sort of wish the SA would just leave me alone though and let em spray myself

Yes, they do have a Guerlain counter at Bergdorfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    Yes, they do have a Guerlain counter at Bergdorfs.
    it on the womens side right?

weird i must miss all the time have you been there? i know where the creed is..and tom ford and clive christian

but i never seen it i guess i will ask them tonight

Basenotes Institution

Wow, I was wrong. But have you ever seen a sample at a Guerlain counter?
    No.

But then again, most Guerlain counters I have walked up to and approached (Neimans, Nordstroms, etc) are usually empty of SA's or full of SA's who are more interested in selling/showing cosmetics and skin care than fragrances.

But then again, that's the case w/ many lines (Lauder, Lancome, Clinique, etc...)

I have seen, what Mr. Guerlain's described - those clear heavy cellophane envelopes, filled with tall narrow glass vials of samples. Some people sell them on Ebay, and clearly they're samples that they got from a Guerlain boutique.

it on the womens side right?
    weird i must miss all the time have you been there? i know where the creed is..and tom ford and clive christian
    but i never seen it i guess i will ask them tonight
    The Guerlain Boutique in BG is in all the way in the corner, left of Tom Ford. They are really nice there and if you say to them, I'm OK looking by myself, they will totally respect that. They are not as pushy as they are at Saks. I was at Saks Guerlain last week looking at the fragrances and the next thing you know I was in a chair getting a facial treatment.
    Have fun.
    PS: Just a reminder, the Bee Bottles don't have sprayers, so dip the tapered end of the scent strip into the bottle.

The Guerlain Boutique in BG is in all the way in the corner, left of Tom Ford. They are really nice there and if you say to them, I'm OK looking by myself, they will totally respect that. They are not as pushy as they are at Saks. I was at Saks Guerlain last week looking at the fragrances and the next thing you know I was in a chair getting a facial treatment.
    Have fun.
    PS: Just a reminder, the Bee Bottles don't have sprayers, so dip the tapered end of the scent strip into the bottle.

Thanks for the tip!!!! I think i know where to look now.

I was reading the reviews for L'instant De Guerlain Pour Homme wow that sounds really nice!!!

I also saw it is actually cheaper to get online like at scentimentals

If I am interested in any others can all of them be purchased online or some can only be bought there like SDV? I could not find SDV on any of the sites so far?

ok i went to the Guerlain booth at bergdorf this time instead of Sak..way better big thumbs up!!!!

Just like the creed counter is way better at bergdorf same thing here...what a huge difference, i mean she just let me sniff and spray without hassling me at all. She did make sure if I needed anything to pay attention to me but other then that no sales pressure.

I will still have to go back again because there are just too many and to be honest i could have been there longer but i needed to get home so i hit the most important ones i wanted to smell

Ones I like the most are Heritage and L'instant De Guerlain Pour Homme, now she told me there is no EDP version for L'instant De Guerlain Pour Homme.

it is a shame because I would love to smell the difference between EDP and EDT of L'instant

Same thing with Heritage, is there an EDP version? they only have an EDT, she knew of no EDP

Now Mouchoir de Monsieur, i had to spray 4 times to really smell this one, I liked it a lot, but it is gone now only about 2 hours later, my skin just doesn't hold this one

Sprayed Spiritueuse Double Vanille about 6 times and i really enjoy it, i think it is a great fragrance but i just don't think my skin likes it, maybe if i spray it on my chest or neck it will be different, but in order for me to smell it i have to literally stick my hand right under my nose, otherwise i cannot smell it, it is barely there. I am willing to revisit this one later at another time and try spraying different spots

The other one i really liked was Cologne 68 this one is very weird but then again it has what 68 different ingredients

So I am going to have to revisit this boutique a few more times...

SDV isn't available online - only through boutiques - I got mine from Saks

Heritage still makes an edp but it hasn't been available in US in a long time (if ever - could be wrong) I found it online

L'Instant (edp) is called Extreme - best price I've seen is at beautyencounter

That said my favorites are Derby (only avaialble in bee bottles in the Les Parisiennes line); Vetiver; and Habit Rouge

Habit Rouge comes in 4 or 5 variations (discussed and described in detail in this forum) I have the edc but like the more forward presence of the edt

I am pretty much sold on L'instant but the question is should I get the EDP blind? only got to smell the EDT

They did not have Habit Rouge there for some reason
    Last edited by denec; 24th December 2008 at 03:42 AM.

I haven't tried the edt - I have the extreme version. There are some comparisons of them here but you'll probably want to sample both before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    I haven't tried the edt - I have the extreme version. There are some comparisons of them here but you'll probably want to sample both before you buy.

i just found a thread that asked my same question sounds like I will be going for the EDP version when i do buy it

I might buy it from scentiments when I order SMW next week

scentiments even has Heritage for $25 though they are out right now while it was $84 at bergdorf
    Last edited by denec; 24th December 2008 at 03:58 AM.

For the popular ones (Vetiver, Habit Rouge, Heritage, etc,) it's so much cheaper on the internet. I only buy in the department store when I have (SDV, Derby) to or when I can't wait. Scentiments is great but often out of stock.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

i just found a thread that asked my same question sounds like I will be going for the EDP version when i do buy it

I might buy it from scentiments when I order SMW next week

scentiments even has Heritage for $25 though they are out right now while it was $84 at bergdorf
    You might want to check the BN Discount and Coupon Threads. Beauyencounter had the 2.5 oz Extreme for $39 and shipped free earlier this month. I bought one. It still may be the same until the end of the month.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Thanks KBE I probably will not order anything until after the holidays for now

BTW I smelled the cards again this morning and i have to say SDV does smell awesome too bad my skin just does not seem to take it in well, I am definitely going to have try it again sometime in the future