Code of Conduct

Default Salvatore Ferragamo PH

OK. Here's the deal. I love this fragrance. It's woody like there's no tomorrow. I mean woody as in freshly cut wood planks. It also has a nice fig vibe going on as well as some fresh herbs (dill?). It was created by Chanel's perfumer but goes in a gloriously different direction. So, why am I the only one who ranks this among the great ignored fragrances? Seriously, is it just that most of the current basenotes guys haven't tried it or am I just an olfactory freak?

Default Re: Salvatore Ferragamo PH

Just because it's not talked about on the forums doesn't mean "Basenotes" hasn't tried it.

The reviews are quite polarizing: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121419/reviews.html

Are you sure it's woody? These reviews read like a review for Marc Jacobs: FIG.

foetidus gave it a huge thumbs down.

Unless of course that not the fragrance you are talking about.

Woody?Fig?Grapefuit plus grapefruit plus grapefruit and possibly a hint of spice was all I was getting from this one.I used my bottle fast,in order to get rid of it...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

This is the fragrance I'm talking about and really enjoy. The reviews would suggest that people smell radically different things in it. I don't get the "spice rack" comment at all, nor the grapefruit really. I get a mother-load of cedar (as I see one neutral review mentioned) with a refreshing bit of dill (although it's not listed in the notes) and a bit of fig. I also don't find it sweet at all. Strange.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 23rd December 2008 at 01:46 PM.

It was much admired and discussed here when it first came out. But that was at about the time most everybody went niche, and that was the end of the discussion - sort of. Suddenly all the discussion related to niche fig leaf scents, which left me scratching my head as they didn't smell anywhere near as good as Salvatore Ferragamo PH to me, and had about half it's lasting power.

Although it's not that spicy, to me it's a spicier richer version of Davidoff's Good Life.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by discovolante View Post
    Woody?Fig?Grapefuit plus grapefruit plus grapefruit and possibly a hint of spice was all I was getting from this one.I used my bottle fast,in order to get rid of it...
    If you don't smell fig leaf in Salvatore Ferragamo PH, then I seriously doubt that you were smelling Salvatore Ferragamo PH, but were instead confusing it with some other Ferragamo scent.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    It was much admired and discussed here when it first came out. But that was at about the time most everybody went niche, and that was the end of the discussion - sort of. Suddenly all the discussion related to niche fig leaf scents, which left me scratching my head as they didn't smell anywhere near as good as Salvatore Ferragamo PH to me, and had about half it's lasting power.

Although it's not that spicy, to me it's a spicier richer version of Davidoff's Good Life.
    Renato
    At least I know now that there are others out there who appreciate this one. I do smell the fig (mildly) but, again, for me it's mostly about strong cedar - the fresh woody smell of a lumberyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    At least I know now that there are others out there who appreciate this one. I do smell the fig (mildly) but, again, for me it's mostly about strong cedar - the fresh woody smell of a lumberyard.
    My lumberyard scent is Gucci PH, and to a lesser extent Gucci Rush and Fendi Life Essence, and Salvatore Ferragamo just doesn't cut it as a lumberyard scent in comparison them.

I've got two big bottles of Salvatore Ferragamo and a small one as well - which means I really appreciate it.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 24th December 2008 at 02:58 AM.