Code of Conduct

Question Rochas fans - what to try next?

I love this line so far! Plus, the prices are unbeatable.

I'm currently in love with Rochas Femme (the reformulated version). I'm also really enjoying Tocade--it's a great comfort scent. I've tried Absolu and it didn't make much of an impression, but I'd like to try it again soon.

What are your favorite Rochas frags, and what should I try next?
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Default Re: Rochas fans - what to try next?

I have samples of both men's and women's Eau de Rochas because I have heard good things about them. The weather has been so cool, I've been putting off trying them until it warms up a bit.

Asha, I'll be looking forward to your reviews. Although we do have pretty different chemistries, as I recall--I sweeten notes, and you take away the sweetness. Nonetheless, your reviews are always informative and thoughtful.

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

My wife loves Madam Rochas, though I personally think it's old-fashioned. Rochas Lui is a very interesting woody scent, IMO. I don't think it's uber-masculine. More refined than a lot of other woody scents out there.

You're right - definitely not overpriced. And with the buy-one-get-another-for-$9.99 deal at Perfumania, the last bottle of M.R. was a real steal.

Off-Scenter

Byzance is a very nice floral oriental - it's been a staple for my wife for years. Mystere is a great scent as well, but it's become very hard to find.

I was going to recommend both Byzance and Mystere. I boughta mini of the Eau but have only tried it once. I read a nice review of Poupee, but I have not seen it lately. I almost bought it some time ago at TJ Max and now I am regretting not buying it.

I sniffed an empty bottle of Alchimie and I liked it a lot (maybe because i knew I won't be able to find it ). I am trying to find a bottle or a sample. If I do, I'll send you some.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I sweeten notes
    Mmmm. Femme must smell great on your sugar skin. You may not need Poupée then, which is like sweet pineapple. I keep it around for the teeniest-tiniest application/layering in order to sweeten Femme, because I do not have sugar skin. But if you're a curious cat, I'll send you some of this fruity floral.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I enjoy Byzantine and Poupee as well as Femme. Mystere is lovely in winter too

I think a woman could easily pull of Rochas Homme, it's soft, vanilla based, sort of gourmand. I only have Femme and Tocade.

Absolutely, you must try:
    The Party in Manhattan
    available from Roja Dove’s Haute Parfumerie in Harrods.
    I was absolutely smitten, I tell you. And I love Tocade, too, so we're on the same page.
    It took everything good about the old Rochas Femme, everything good about the new Rochas Femme, plus some modern updating.
    It was wonderful.
    And fun.
    Here's a link to a Perfume Posse review:
    http://perfumeposse.com/2008/09/04/m...-in-manhattan/
    I wish I knew where you could get a sample; I selfishly used all of mine.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 23rd December 2008 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks, folks--looks like I'll be trying quite a few in the near future! As well as the other Rochas frags, The Party in Manhattan definitely sounds intriguing. I'd read about it in Perfume Posse as a skankfest, which is usually right up my alley.

Ms. Q, thanks for your kind offer, but you're right, sounds like Poupée would probably be too sweet (I generally magnify and sweeten pineapple, turning it into something truly cloying and yet shrieky ). And darkdreams, I'll race you to the Alchimie--whichever of us lands a sample first can send some to the other.

Asked my wife. Fracas.

Try Eau de Rochas now! No need to wait till warmer weather. I first wore this 20 years ago, forgot all about it, then bought a bottle last year on Ibiza in a fit of summer impulse thinking it was just a fresh summer citrus. Inspired by this site which I have just discovered, I dug out the bottle and have worn it in London over the Christmas period. Love it LOVE IT. It has depths that I had forgotten with a subtleness others love too.

I had forgotten to mention Absolu. I think it is discontinued but I liked it very much and bought it for a good price.

I don't know all of the Rochas fragrances, but I'm adding my vote for Mystere. I'm looking forward to trying Poupee myself at some point in the future. It seems like something I'd love (fruity floral). I recall Mystere as a sophisticated woodsy scent, rather dry. I don't know whether it has changed.

Hillaire

Red face Re: Rochas fans - what to try next?

While I really love Femme, and I see a resurgence of its popularity, I have a real soft spot for Madame Rochas. It's my favorite, and when I am in that kind of mood, nothing else can beat it.
    That mood is costumey lingerie, fifties-black-underwear kind of sexy -- think Sally Bowles' boudoir....