Code of Conduct

Default Your New Year's fragrance resolutions?

The year-end top 10 thread got me thinking about what my fragrance resolutions are for this year.

1) Find a Guerlain that works on me. I always feel left off of the bandwagon!

2) Explore more deeply, not always more broadly. I'd like to have more patience exploring the classics, rather than try to smell everything. For instance, if an EdT of a Guerlain doesn't work, I plan to try the parfum.

3) Spend less money on frags. Or, if I don't do that, spend it more wisely. I've moved too quickly in the past to buying a full bottle.

What are your fragrance-related resolutions for 2009?
    Last edited by BlackCat; 26th December 2008 at 04:55 AM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Default Re: Your New Year's fragrance resolutions?

BlackCat, I have to steal -- er, borrow -- your number two and number three resolutions. As for my other resolution?

Organize my perfumes and store them more neatly. I have them in every drawer in every dresser of my house. Ridiculous "system," as I always forget what I have where, and often cannot find ones I am sure I have somewhere.

Smile Re: Your New Year's fragrance resolutions?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    The year-end top 10 thread got me thinking about what my fragrance resolutions are for this year.

1) Find a Guerlain that works on me. I always feel left out of the bandwagon!

2) Explore more deeply, not always more broadly. I'd like to have more patience exploring the classics, rather than try to smell everything. For instance, if an EdT of a Guerlain doesn't work, I plan to try the parfum.

3) Spend less money on frags. Or, if I don't do that, spend it more wisely. I've moved too quickly in the past to buying a full bottle.

What are your fragrance-related resolutions for 2009?
    Great resolutions. I will borrow them with a few modifications and additions:

1. Find a classic Chanel that works for me and on me. So far I have not felt the love with that house.
    2. Same as BlackCat
    3. " " "
    4. Try to limit my purchases to ONE per month or less and that does not mean buying a full bottle's worth of samples every two weeks!
    5. Winnow my collection down to only those fragrances that I adore...so 4+ and 5 stars only. And do not worry about tastes changing. One can always find something again....
    6. Organize my bottles in some way that facilitates rotation.
    7. Learn more about the classics that are traditionally thought of as men's fragrances

That's enough. If I succeed at even one of those resolutions I'll be thrilled!

Basenotes Institution

1. To stop buying so many fragrances due to the dire economic climate and forecast.
    2.To stop buying 2 bottles of fragrances at each time, I like for fear I am going to run out and using cheap shipping as an excuse.
    3. To stop overspraying myself with my fav perfumes. Terrible habit!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Mine:

1. Purchase a full bottle of Coromandel (I'm not going to be happy until I do this)
    2. Purchase no more than one bottle per month (IF that often)
    3. Forget that Neiman Marcus exists (those SAs know me and get me everytime I hit the fragrance counter.... however, I always leave the counter happy ...and broke)

I've put my "negative" fragrance resolutions elsewhere - i.e. how I'm doing to avoid spending - but on my to-do list for the new year:

1. The same as BlackCat! The two classic Guerlains I've smelled - Mitsouko and Shalimar - I've quite liked, and I realize that my mother's dislike of Guerlains and a general bemoaning of reformulations on here have put me off a potentially wonderful line of classic perfumes. By that token, I'll also keep exploring the lines I've had good experiences with - Ava Luxe, Parfumerie Generale, Parfums d'Empire etc.

2. Concentrate more on sampling than bottles. It seems like every time I order a bunch of samples I discover a new fragrance true love. It feeds my fragrance desires, but it also educates me by expanding my knowledge of fragrance.

3. Similarly, try exploring new notes and genres I've haven't considered before. I've terribly neglected the classic fougere and chypre genres, as well as spice fragrances and the vast number of vetivers out there.

Blog Entries

1) Organize my samples.
    2) Find new homes for the ones I can let go.

That's it for now. It's an attainable goal, but it'll keep me busy. I swear my hodgepodge of vials has been multiplying like tribbles in grain silo. I still have lots of testing to do.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

The only resolution I have is never to do resolutions. I shall continue as I am, happily sniffing, buying what I can afford and not buying what I can't. And learning, learning, learning.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    The only resolution I have is never to do resolutions. I shall continue as I am, happily sniffing, buying what I can afford and not buying what I can't. And learning, learning, learning.
    Cheers to that. My spending hasn't been outrageous so far - the damage for a full year has been two eh, three forget it, I just realised it was four... full bottles and five-six sample and decant orders - but I've been learning. Perhaps my NY resolution should be to settle down on a select few frags instead of flitting from one sample to the next like a moth on speed. Get decants of those I love and leave the samples to be my reference library, something like that.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 26th December 2008 at 05:28 PM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Great resolutions--thoughtful and articulate. I'm going to borrow these also (also borrowed BlackCat's)!!

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I've put my "negative" fragrance resolutions elsewhere - i.e. how I'm doing to avoid spending - but on my to-do list for the new year:

1. The same as BlackCat! The two classic Guerlains I've smelled - Mitsouko and Shalimar - I've quite liked, and I realize that my mother's dislike of Guerlains and a general bemoaning of reformulations on here have put me off a potentially wonderful line of classic perfumes. By that token, I'll also keep exploring the lines I've had good experiences with - Ava Luxe, Parfumerie Generale, Parfums d'Empire etc.

2. Concentrate more on sampling than bottles. It seems like every time I order a bunch of samples I discover a new fragrance true love. It feeds my fragrance desires, but it also educates me by expanding my knowledge of fragrance.

3. Similarly, try exploring new notes and genres I've haven't considered before. I've terribly neglected the classic fougere and chypre genres, as well as spice fragrances and the vast number of vetivers out there.

Buy a full bottle only if I have ended one or two decants of the perfume first.

Buy only 4 or 5 full bottles this year.

Clemmie, I'm with you. I believe I'd better not make any resolutions that I won't be able to fulfill later on. I'll try to have fun and just... be sensible!

I have already reoriented my approach so that I am buying more samples, thinking about them more, and if any seem like winners after a suitable testing period, then buying FB's only of what I need. I also have already started the process of thinning my wardrobe, so I will continue this, too.

I think...like wine...there is always some perfume out there to be enjoyed. I am not going to get stuck on unobtainable things (whether it is from high price or relative rarity), because there is alot to choose from

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Clemmie and I kept last year's resolutions.
    Last edited by Quarry; 25th December 2008 at 09:16 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

to wear the ones that make me happy

I really need to stop with the blind buys! In the old days I would sniff perfume from the bottles at the stores and when my eyes bugged out I would spray some on and test it. That seemed to work and I should go back to that system, but we will see.

1. Organize (like Leesee).
    2. Keep sniffing and learning (like Clemmie).

and...

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingleaves View Post
    The most important resolution of all.

Blog Entries

1. Avoid blind buys unless very inexpensive, and never buy a new perfume that I've tested at a store unless I've allowed it to develop fully at least once.

2. Do some more sampling: Tauer, Ava Luxe, Santa Maria Novella, others. I've been meaning to send in a sample order to Aedes.com but first I want to use up/ thin down the samples I currently have.

3. Give away or sell the perfumes I bought blind and which didn't work out for me.

1. Stick to the organizational system I have for my samples! [It is a system I like very much, but I can get sloppy when I'm in a hurry]
    2. I've gotten better about impulse buys, but still have some bottles I will never use. So I think I'm going to impose this rule upon myself for 2009: if I want a new full bottle, I have to trade or sell a bottle I already have.

I"ll need support to be strong!!!!!!

My resolutions for last year worked so well, I have no need for new ones!

My resolution is to more fully enjoy my perfumes and use the parfum/extrait versions that I have deemed too dear to wear and love because of silly reaons like "I am only going to work"

If I wait for an occasion they will sit unworn and maybe even deteriorate, so I vow to feel less guilty about my fragrances.

I work too hard to not have some pleasure and perfume is my one big splurge. I will enjoy it with a less heavy heart. Sure, there is economic pain all around, but I have not run up debt so I will savor savor savor what I have and still buy a few goodies along the way when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingleaves View Post
    I love this, whisperingleaves! I will do this.

I do have a goal for 2009. "Thoroughly Modern Millie" that I am, I've focused on the new and the niche, and I have certainly found treasures. Can you believe that I've never tested Jicky or Mitsouko or Rochas Femme?! I don't think I will find as many true loves among the old and the classic, but I know I need to try them or I will never be a "real" perfumista. So I'll be doing a bit more testing of the Guerlains, Carons and the like in the coming year.

My resolutions are:

Budget:

- Only four full bottle purchases this year, one per quarter. (Though gifts and "fun money" windfalls don't count toward the quota.)

- A specific very small amount of "free spending" money per month for decants and samples. (I have to research those bottle purchases! Right? Right?)

Other:

- Use up or give away most samples, with an eventual goal of having no more than twenty around at a time.

- Stop testing every day; just _wear_ something most days.

- Only drag the SO to really good sniffing experiences. That is, even he accepts the desperate importance of going into Barney's when we're in The City, but I should really stop dragging him into Sephora.

Crayfish

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    BlackCat, I have to steal -- er, borrow -- your number two and number three resolutions. As for my other resolution?

Organize my perfumes and store them more neatly. I have them in every drawer in every dresser of my house. Ridiculous "system," as I always forget what I have where, and often cannot find ones I am sure I have somewhere.
    I have the same resolutions, too! My system is a joke! I need to put like frags together, or all from the same house or my favorites in front or something. Anyway, they should all be together but I run out of room in one place and have to start in on another dresser or box or cupboard. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Clemmie and I kept last year's resolutions.
    Wow! So we did! :-)
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I have the same resolutions, too! My system is a joke! I need to put like frags together, or all from the same house or my favorites in front or something. Anyway, they should all be together but I run out of room in one place and have to start in on another dresser or box or cupboard. Any suggestions?
    I think I need to look for an armoire. Nothing too mammoth, as I don't have much room for one, but something sturdy and attractive that I can dedicate just to storing my scents.

1) Accept that I cannot wear Shalimar.
    2) Test thoroughly before buying a FB of anything. (See above. Parfum @ full price. Bad choice.)
    3) No room in collection for perfume I'm luke-warm about. It's gotta be love.

I think my resolution is to be more patient and thoughtful with the sampling process. I have been too quick to judge a few times (most extreme case was with Datura Noir - I *cannot* believe I almost wrote that beauty off), and I don't want to miss out on anything.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

None !

Well, no, it's not true ...

- Sell about 1/3 of my huge collection
    - Spend more time on learning
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Blog Entries

My New Year's fragrance resolution is to make 80% of my yearly purchases in Guerlain, Hermes, and Caron products. Only the best, to heck with the rest. I leave 20% for the possibility of the rare and unique designer and niche anomolies that work such as Balmain Amber Gris for example.

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Your New Year's fragrance resolutions?

As New Years resolutions go will power and determination are required to maintain resolve. I can already feel resolve slipping from my grasp. What weak creatures we mortals be, but we smell good!

1. Identifying notes
    2. Expand my "comfort zone" beyond florals
    3. DIY
    [FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="SandyBrown"]Tara-Leigh[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]"Don't believe everything you think" Anonymous[/COLOR]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]