Code of Conduct

Default Please help me select a fragrance for a 20 year old woman

Firstly, allow me to wish everyone a happy and blessed holiday season. I hope everyone is enjoying this Christmas and spending time with their loved ones.

In regards to my question, I need to provide a bit of backstory, I apologize for the length in advance. I have had the pleasure of working with a young woman for 2 years now. She and I have been sort of scent buddies at our job, she always compliments me on my fragrance, goes out of he way to get up close to smell what I'm wearing, etc. She practically follows me around whenever I wear Santos lol! I do the same for her because she consistently smells fantastic.

A couple of weeks ago she got the new Juicy Coutoure Viva La Juicy for her birthday, and wore it in the the next day to get my opinion on it. I told her I liked it and she smelled great, she asked me if I had smelled Dirty English for men, I told her no.

Fast forward to today, she shows up at my house and says she has a Christmas gift for me. I think she's kidding, we've never exchanged gifts in the past but it turns out that she came by to give me a present, she got me a bottle of Dirty English from Nordstroms and even kept the receipt in case I didn't like it. I'm standing there like an idiot with my jaw hitting the kitchen floor, and she just laughed and said not to worry, she just really wanted to get me something and I don't have to worry about getting her anything in return.

No way I am going to let that slide!

I'm taking her out to dinner after the holidays, and I want to return the favor and buy her a new perfume since we both share a passion for it. The trouble is, I realize that I know very little about women's fragrances compared to men's. My previous girlfriends only had a couple of bottles and they weren't much for change so I never really learned much from them.

She seems to prefer light florals and gourmands, I know she wears Bright Crystal alot, and now Viva La juicy. She is 20 years old, petite, curly blonde hair and just a very sweet outgoing lass. I can't picture her wearing a femme fatale style scent like Tabac Blonde, but I'd love to introduce her to the world of niche, any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

I was thinking of getting her something a little more mature and maybe a little more romantic than her normal fare. I was looking at Voile De Fleur by Tom Ford since I liked Black Orchid and this seems to be a bit of different spin on it. A review in the directory here said it should have been called White Orchid, so that might be perfect for what I need. Thoughts?

Default Re: Please help me select a fragrance for a 20 year old woman

Well, sorry I can be of much help since I have not been out fragrance sampling in way too long. But I also love Black Orchid and pretty much ANYTHING put out by Tom Ford (whether it be fashion OR fragrance). Your choice sounds like a good one to me. Good luck!

I don't have a suggestion. I just wanted to voice my hope that you'll post to let us know what you decide on, and post again to tell us if she liked it.

Light Florals or gourmand...

For gourmand, try
    L de Lolita -- vanilla and cinnamon in a drop dead beautiful bottle
    Miss Dior Cherie -- strawberries

Both are easy to get.

More niche'y gourmand:
    Hermessence Ambre Narguile
    Guerlain Iris Ganache - white choco with iris
    Montale Sweet Oriental Dreams

Light florals are difficult for me... no recs
    Last edited by dimples; 25th December 2008 at 04:34 PM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Have you tried Missoni?

Off-Scenter

Light florals may not come any better than Diorissimo: a happy fragrance for a happy person. Women's gourmands can be tricky, since many of them can be cloying, but Rochas Tocade is a really well put-together vanilla scent that's hard not to like.

Good luck and have fun shopping for your gift!

Blog Entries

Chanel Bois des Iles is delicious, sort of niche. Depending on where you live. You can order it from Saks or NYC Chanel boutique, kind of expensive for a friend. It only comes in the huge bottle.

Try Guerlain Samsara, it's a sultry vanilla/ oriental she might really like that. EDP is the best formula.

As a blonde, she would be great in White Linen. It seems like light skin works well with aldehydes. Anyway, to my nose it is still a young fresh frag, even though it's a classic. It's one of a kind. I never get tired of it and its snap is perfect in the cold air.
    Last edited by kumquat; 27th December 2008 at 04:20 PM.