Code of Conduct

Default Perfumes that smell like preserved plum candy?

So far, I've sampled two fragrances that made me think of these:

(picture from http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3767)

Has anyone else smelled a fragrance that made one think of plum candy?

Default Re: Perfumes that smell like preserved plum candy?

I can't say I have smelt anything like that. I DO love eating "Chan Pei Mui" though . I'd be interested in trying something that smelt like plum candy too, though I probably wouldn't want to wear it. Have you tried Pulp by Byredo?

Off-Scenter

Bois de Paradis, Lyric for Men, and Cuir Ottoman each have a big plum note atop their woody or leather foundations.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    Has anyone else smelled a fragrance that made one think of plum candy?
    Aiona, I love Chinese preserved plums. Just thinking about the salty-sweet flavors makes my mouth water!

This fragrance has a Japanese background, but it does the trick for me:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...6415&section=1

Is this one of your two fragrances that you mention? What ARE yours???

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Aiona, I love Chinese preserved plums. Just thinking about the salty-sweet flavors makes my mouth water!

This fragrance has a Japanese background, but it does the trick for me:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...6415&section=1

Is this one of your two fragrances that you mention? What ARE yours???
    You sent me a sample of Ume, actually. If I remember rightly, it smelled like fresh plums, but not salty preserved plum. (I looked back at that website for the preserved plums, and the ingredients for those plums also includes "orange rind" and "licorice." So perhaps I'm smelling an accord.) I must sample it again, and see!

Anyway, I didn't mention my two, because I really don't think anyone else smells it! They are

1. Mitsouko -- which has a smell like that of port wine to me. . . which smells like plums
    2. Spectral Violet -- the opening notes smell like preserved plum, but only initially, and then some other smells slowly overpower that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    You sent me a sample of Ume, actually. If I remember rightly, it smelled like fresh plums, but not salty preserved plum. (I looked back at that website for the preserved plums, and the ingredients for those plums also includes "orange rind" and "licorice." So perhaps I'm smelling an accord.) I must sample it again, and see!

Anyway, I didn't mention my two, because I really don't think anyone else smells it! They are

1. Mitsouko -- which has a smell like that of port wine to me. . . which smells like plums
    2. Spectral Violet -- the opening notes smell like preserved plum, but only initially, and then some other smells slowly overpower that part.
    Well, those are two fragrances I haven't yet tried. If it (the preserved plum) is there, I will smell it! The Ume does remind me of a salty preserved plum, like the ones placed in the center of rice balls. For me, it's reminiscent of the saltier type of Chinese preserved plums, too. It sounds like you're looking for the smell of the wet, sweeter type. Some of them have a lot of licorice.

I'll be watching this thread in case you hit the jackpot. YUM!

Quote Originally Posted by AyelFior View Post
    I can't say I have smelt anything like that. I DO love eating "Chan Pei Mui" though . I'd be interested in trying something that smelt like plum candy too, though I probably wouldn't want to wear it. Have you tried Pulp by Byredo?

Funny you mention that I just tested that other day what an interesting fragrance, very loud, lasts a really long time as well.

The Ume does remind me of a salty preserved plum, like the ones placed in the center of rice balls. For me, it's reminiscent of the saltier type of Chinese preserved plums, too. It sounds like you're looking for the smell of the wet, sweeter type. Some of them have a lot of licorice.
    I should go back and sample Ume again! My notes are somewhere, as well. I want to go back and look at what my first impressions were! Now I have a hankering for dried plums. I don't think I've had the saltier kind. Perhaps a trip to the grocery store is in order as well!
    I'll be watching this thread in case you hit the jackpot. YUM!
    I can't decide if I *like* this smell in my fragrances. I associate it with something tasty, but I'm just not so sure I want to wear it. Do you know what I mean? Kind of like, how I can appreciate Neil Morris' Earthtones, but. . . in the way I can appreciate No drama [opera], but just don't really care for it.
    Last edited by Aiona; 26th December 2008 at 03:05 AM.