Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Year Zero: Rebuilding a Wardrobe

Is there a defference between Clubman and Clubman Special Reserve? Are they similar (ie one stronger) or are they completely different scents?

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    Is there a defference between Clubman and Clubman Special Reserve? Are they similar (ie one stronger) or are they completely different scents?
    They are completely different scents. I bought mine at www.classicshaving.com click on the shavingsoap/cream link on the left and then scroll down.

Classic is a citrus and smells just like the talcum powder that they sell, and reserve is a soft leather. They are classified as aftershave splashes, but they last all day, and have fairly potent projection.
    Last edited by The Duke; 27th December 2008 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    They are completely different scents. I bought mine at www.classicshaving.com click on the shavingsoap/cream link on the left and then scroll down.

Classic is a citrus and smells just like the talcum powder that they sell, and reserve is a soft leather. They are classified as aftershave splashes, but they last all day, and have fairly potent projection.
    Thanks for the link. I just placed an order.
    Last edited by dmarino67; 27th December 2008 at 06:52 PM.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I tried quite a few frags today, but many were unavailable at the local Macy's and Sephora shops.

I have to skin test the frags as much as possible because I cant trust my skin chemistry to react consistently-I occasionally have minor but irritating allergic reactions to frags, or my skin doesn't hold the scent.

I quite liked the Michael Kors and Double Black fragrances. Unfortunately the Double Black quickly disappeared on me, but the Kors scent lasted for hours and developed nicely on me.

Allure Homme Sport didnt respond well to me. I liked it on the card but it produced poor sillage on my skin.

Dior Homme smelled lovely, but gave me a headache. At this point I retired my nose for the day haha.

The Caron scents and Encre Noire were nowhere to be found. I might blind buy a Caron since I've never owned one. I enjoy lavender so I may purchase Pour un Homme. Encre Noire sounds very interesting, I may blind buy it if I pass over the Caron.
    Last edited by Xephon23; 27th December 2008 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks for the link. I just placed an order.
    I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do. Someone once wrote that it smells like Royal English Leather without the urinal cake note, and I agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Xephon23 View Post
    I quite liked the Michael Kors and Double Black fragrances. Unfortunately the Double Black quickly disappeared on me, but the Kors scent lasted for hours and developed nicely on me.
    What did you think of the Michael Kors? I have heard it said many times that it smells of pipe tabacco, which intrigues me. Did you get that impression?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I tried quite a few frags today, but many were unavailable at the local Macy's and Sephora shops.

I have to skin test the frags as much as possible because I cant trust my skin chemistry to react consistently-I occasionally have minor but irritating allergic reactions to frags, or my skin doesn't hold the scent.

Allure Homme Sport didnt respond well to me. I liked it on the card but it produced poor sillage on my skin.

Dior Homme smelled lovely, but gave me a headache. At this point I retired my nose for the day haha.

The Caron scents and Encre Noire were nowhere to be found. I might blind buy a Caron since I've never owned one. I enjoy lavender so I may purchase Pour un Homme. Encre Noire sounds very interesting, I may blind buy it if I pass over the Caron.
    They carry Encre Noir at Neiman Marcus and Saks. But definitely buy it from beautyencounter (cheaper)

What did you think of the Michael Kors? I have heard it said many times that it smells of pipe tabacco, which intrigues me. Did you get that impression?
    Hi Duke,

I did get a nice pipe tobacco scent from the Michael Kors that I tried. My grandfather smoked a pipe and the accord brought back good memories. I associate the smell of pipe tobacco with old school masculinity.

By the way, I really like your avatar.

They carry Encre Noir at Neiman Marcus and Saks. But definitely buy it from beautyencounter (cheaper)
    Thank you for the information. I will try to swing by Neimans and give it a try. It seems like a very interesting and dark scent.

Kenzo Power

I know that there can be a strong correlation between scent and memory but isn't getting rid of all your fragrances just a little extreme?
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Xephon23, my 2 cents worth:

Dior Homme - Iris & leather, think smooth
    Mugler Cologne - Anyday anywhere clean (alternative to story)
    Prada Amber pour Homme - Soapy goodness
    Caron 3rd Man - Fougere to wear everyday, nice floral heart
    Chanel Antaeus - When you meet a new love and go out on that formal date, wear this!

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    I know that there can be a strong correlation between scent and memory but isn't getting rid of all your fragrances just a little extreme?
    Yeah, it could be seen as extreme, but I honestly wasn't able to enjoy them anymore, and they were very wrapped up with her in my mind. I am a very sentimental guy.

I didn't destroy my fragrances, I gave them to some people who I hope will enjoy them.

When she would come home from work we had this ritual where she would sniff my neck and try to guess what I was wearing that day. If she guessed correctly I would give her a big kiss. If she guessed wrong she received a playful smack on the bottom. Yes, I'm weird lol, but I need time before I am able to use any of those fragrances again.

Hi Duke,

I did get a nice pipe tobacco scent from the Michael Kors that I tried. My grandfather smoked a pipe and the accord brought back good memories. I associate the smell of pipe tobacco with old school masculinity.

By the way, I really like your avatar.
    You have me wanting to go out and test some Michael Kors! Thank you.

Hi Xephon
    Hope next year all comes good for you .
    Try
    Giorgio
    Zino
    Polo Green
    Kouros
    Versace L'Homme original
    Carven Homme

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

After reading your profile, Etro Messe de Minuit came to mind. I got a bottle for under $40 at perfume.com

Sorry to hear the reason why you are at year zero with your fragrance wardrobe, but I commend you for starting this process again. No doubt you will associate new and compelling memories with the wonderful array of scents out there. Your initial choice of Guerlain Vetiver is a magnificent opener. There are very few feel good fragrances out there to match it. Good luck for the future

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    YSL Jazz & Live Jazz are both very good fragrances frequently on offer, casual spring & summer but work anytime, really.

For something younger, I think Diesel's Fuel for Life Men is the best on the fruity-citrus market.
    I would consider Live Jazz and Fuel for Life, for sure. Live Jazz is especially interesting. Somehow it keeps me cool on warm summer days, and it reacts wonderfully with heat and sweat. One of my favourites for sure, and very unique!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I appreciate it.

How is the construction going?

How is the construction going?
    I am burning through the Guerlain Vetiver and loving every minute of it.
    I also bought a bottle of Bulgari pH as a safe scent for subdued ocassions.

I'm holding out until the weather warms up here in Boston before I add to the collection. Live Jazz is up for consideration along with Caron's Anarchist and Hermes Orange Concentree.

Blog Entries

So what's your collection looking like right now? Just Guerlain Vetiver?

If I had to round it out with 4 others, non-niche, not on your list I'd have to go something like...

Sean John Unforgivable - The essential "anytime, anywhere" scent.
    Aramis Havana - No surprise coming from me.
    Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil or En Mediterranee - You indicated you like scents with fruit notes, le Nil has a very nice mango note and en Mediterranee has a fantastic fig note, they're both quite nice.
    Juicy Couture Dirty English - A versatile cedar fragrance that works at work or play.

Honorable mentions: Dior Homme, Hanae Mori HM, YSL Kouros.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I am burning through the Guerlain Vetiver and loving every minute of it.
    I also bought a bottle of Bulgari pH as a safe scent for subdued ocassions.

I'm holding out until the weather warms up here in Boston before I add to the collection. Live Jazz is up for consideration along with Caron's Anarchist and Hermes Orange Concentree.
    I have always been tempted to get a bottle of Anarchist. Good to see that all seems to be working out

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    So what's your collection looking like right now? Just Guerlain Vetiver?

If I had to round it out with 4 others, non-niche, not on your list I'd have to go something like...

Sean John Unforgivable - The essential "anytime, anywhere" scent.
    Aramis Havana - No surprise coming from me.
    Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil or En Mediterranee - You indicated you like scents with fruit notes, le Nil has a very nice mango note and en Mediterranee has a fantastic fig note, they're both quite nice.
    Juicy Couture Dirty English - A versatile cedar fragrance that works at work or play.

Honorable mentions: Dior Homme, Hanae Mori HM, YSL Kouros.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I look forward to sampling them, le Nil sounds wonderful and very appealing to me.

I have always been tempted to get a bottle of Anarchist. Good to see that all seems to be working out
    Thanks Duke. I'm taking it one day and one sniff at a time