Code of Conduct

Unhappy Year Zero: Rebuilding a Wardrobe

Dear Basenoters,

About a year ago I began my initiation into the world of frags. It has been a really fun ride so far. Thanks to the Basenotes site and the wonderful community here on the boards I have learned a lot and discovered some great fragrances. You've also given me some good laughs. Thanks!

Unfortunately I have recently given away my fragrance wardrobe to some college age guys who live across the street from me. Luckily most of the bottles were almost empty. You see, I am going through a divorce right now. This rendered my wardrobe unwearable--it was absolutely tied up with memories and emotions related to my soon-to-be-ex-wife. So here I am, viewing this as an opportunity to rebuild my fragrance collection from scratch. Think: phoenix from the flames. I'm hoping that some of you will be able to give me some suggestions for rebuilding my collection.

Due to legal costs I cant afford niche frags. I'm looking to develop a base group of five frags that I can rotate through at work and play. I work in an academic library and am hoping to start a masters in education soon. But I also like to have fun with my friends, go to sports games and bars, so its not all serious business.

A little about me: I love philosophy and theology. I am a ravenous news hound. I love rock, blues, and jazz music. I am tall and work out three times a week. I'm not built, its more like a maintenance schedule haha. I love to read novels--I mix classics in once in a while with the masses of detective novels and thrillers I consume. I'm 27 and am a Bostonian.

Here is the wardrobe I left behind, so these are all out:

Bulgari pour homme
    Versace Dreamer
    Le Male
    Terre de Hermes
    Mugler Cologne
    John Varvatos
    Burberry London
    Ungaro III
    XS
    Green Irish Tweed
    Bois du Portugal
    Versace Man
    Givenchy Pi
    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Opium pour Homme
    Roches Man
    D+G ph

If you took the time to read this, I thank you for your consideration and look forward to your suggestions. I think I will order a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver to start with.

P.S.-Happy New year!
    Last edited by Xephon23; 26th December 2008 at 06:56 PM.

Default Re: Year Zero: Rebuilding a Wardrobe

Sorry to hear about your relationship with your "soon-to-be-ex-wife".

I'm not too knowledgable about designer fragrances (I should really go and sniff them some time soon), but here are a couple of suggestions:

Paul Smith - Story
    This is a citrus-y fragrance, with notes of grapefruit and vetiver. I really enjoy it, especially the basenotes. I'm not great at describing fragrances, but I would definitely suggest you try it! Also, the bottle is in the shape of a book, so sort of goes hand-in-hand with your library job.

Lalique - Encre Noir
    I tried this vetiver-based fragrance a few days ago and I really like it. I'll probably buy a bottle as soon as I can. It's a dry, woody fragrance. I'm not sure about availability though, as it's not as widely distributed as most designer scents.

Best wishes,
    Benny

Some starting points from a newbie:

First, I own and wear Terre D'Hermes (love it!), John Varvatos (Like it), and Clinique Happy (Like it as well).

I do not like musky scents, so take that into account. Okay, a few recommendations.

Lalique Encre Noire - I REALLY like this one. I have a sample currently, but will definitely buy this.

CDG 2 Man - I have a sample which I have not worn yet. It smells similar to Encre Noire to me.

Chanel Antaeus - I have a sample that I have just sniffed so far, but it seems very promising.

YSL M7 - I am trying this one today, and so far, I really like it. I am very intrigued by M7 Fresh based on reviews on BN, and am trying to find a sample of this.

You don't like musky scents yet enjoy Encre Noire? Weird, the musk on that frgrance is quite noticable.

I absolutely third Encre Noir, great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    You don't like musky scents yet enjoy Encre Noire? Weird, the musk on that frgrance is quite noticable.
    Not to hijack this thread, but at least on my skin, the musk does not come out with Encre Noire. The wood is much more pronounced.

Factoring in the finances, here are some suggestions:

Monsieur Balmain - great lasting citrus to cheer you up, dirt cheap on the net

Jacques Bogart Witness - wonderful winter scent: patchouli/cinnamon, very good quality at a bargain price. I let this dry down on paper once for two days and it smelled good until the end, contrary to some expensive designer scents that fell apart badly.

Dunhill Cologne (the original from 1934): there are still online sites you can get it at in the US for little money - it's formal, old school, but not heavy, think Cole Porter, good for when you're dressing up - or for an academic library .

Givenchy Vetyver: another gentlemanly one for when you're reading Jane Austen or wearing a suit. Beats Guerlain's by a mile, IMHO.

YSL Jazz & Live Jazz are both very good fragrances frequently on offer, casual spring & summer but work anytime, really.

For something younger, I think Diesel's Fuel for Life Men is the best on the fruity-citrus market.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Boucheron Jaïpur Homme
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Guerlain Heritage
    Michael Kors Michael Kors Men
    Burberry Touch
    Christian Dior Dior Homme
    Lacoste Lacoste pour Homme
    Yves Saint Laurent M7
    Dunhill Desire
    Gucci Gucci pour Homme
    Gucci Envy
    Christian Lacroix Tumulte pour Homme

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CYoung234 View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but at least on my skin, the musk does not come out with Encre Noire. The wood is much more pronounced.
    i don't get musk either....it's an ink, wood, HEAVY DRY VETIVER, and metal cascade for me. more industrial.....great scent though!
    Last edited by everso; 26th December 2008 at 07:58 PM.

Encre Noir is rather expensive and it's very much a vetiver scent so if you are getting the Guerlain I don't know if it's a great pick for one of your other 5.

Tumulte and Jaipur seem like really good suggestions to me, you can score both cheap.

For something unique I recommend Cumming for that "banned in Boston" feel, a great choice for someone newly single.

First of all, good luck starting a new chapter in your life. I hope 2009 is kind to you. Here are some of my favorite inexpensive scents that did not appear on your previously owned list:

Zino Davidoff
    Salvatore Ferragamo PH
    Yatagan
    C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum
    Givenchy Gentleman

Sorry to hear about your situation. I second Dunhill for Men. Right now beautyencounter has a 15% off sale. That means you can pick it up for about $28 and Encre Noir for $38. It only lasts for a week though.

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I second Dunhill for Men. Right now beautyencounter has a 15% off sale. That means you can pick it up for about $28 and Encre Noir for $38. It only lasts for a week though.
    Awww man, you let the secret out. JK I was teetering back and forth with saying that you could get Encre Noir on beautyencounter for $45 plus a 15% off. I can't get it for a few more days and based upon everyone thinking its really expensive I was afraid if word got out it would sell out. :sigh:
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 26th December 2008 at 08:39 PM.

Thye've had those two at that price for awhile - I've been thinking of getting a backup bottle of Dunhill because when that's gone that will probably be it at anywhere near that price.

First of all, good luck to you in this next chapter of your life. Hopefully you have a smooth and "painless" transition.

Of what I own, I would give you the following...I'm a cheapskate, and none of my recommendations will wow anyone, but imho, they are solid scents.

--Polo Double Black. May be my favorite right now.
    --Tommy Bahama. Boozy/smoky/spicy.
    --Old Spice Signature. Cheap "fresh" scent that is no better or worse than many "calone" based scents out there. If you want something a little less common, you can cheaply find Zirh: a little less "fresh" but a clean scent of its own.
    --L'Instant de Guerlain. IMHO, it's a great scent that is masculine / old school without smelling like your grandfather (if you want to smell like Gramps...I recommend Aramis PH...not a bad thing)
    --Polo Modern Reserve is not in my repertoire (yet) but would be a great formal scent to round out your new collection.

Be sure to also check out L'occitane's Eau des Baux.

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions and support. I've jotted them down and will go on a testing spree at the local Sephora soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AyelFior View Post
    Sorry to hear about your relationship with your "soon-to-be-ex-wife".

I'm not too knowledgable about designer fragrances (I should really go and sniff them some time soon), but here are a couple of suggestions:

Paul Smith - Story
    This is a citrus-y fragrance, with notes of grapefruit and vetiver. I really enjoy it, especially the basenotes. I'm not great at describing fragrances, but I would definitely suggest you try it! Also, the bottle is in the shape of a book, so sort of goes hand-in-hand with your library job.

Lalique - Encre Noir
    I tried this vetiver-based fragrance a few days ago and I really like it. I'll probably buy a bottle as soon as I can. It's a dry, woody fragrance. I'm not sure about availability though, as it's not as widely distributed as most designer scents.

Best wishes,
    Benny
    Thank you for the suggestions. The PS Story fragrance sounds interesting. I saw one on sale at a local discount store while doing some Christmas shopping last week. Woohoo

Fuel for Life seems like a fun frag. I'm not sure if I can pull it off but I do like fruity scents.

How do people feel about Magnetism as a fruity fun scent? It's a fizzy grape scent right? I'll try that as well.

Hmm. Given my changing situation I might visit that infamous thread "Hai guyz what cologne gets gurls interested in you?"
    Last edited by Xephon23; 26th December 2008 at 10:57 PM.

You can skip that thread and just pick up a bottle of Chanel Allure Homme Sport. The pyrAmid alone oozes female attraction and my personal experience has been nothing but positive.

Guerlain Heritage
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955)
    Tiffany for Men
    New York
    Bogart pour Homme
    Obsession for Men
    Aramis Devin
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Instinct
    Baldessarini Ambre
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th December 2008 at 12:42 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    You can skip that thread and just pick up a bottle of Chanel Allure Homme Sport. The pyrAmid alone oozes female attraction and my personal experience has been nothing but positive.
    Thanks for saving me the time. I will definitely pick up a sample. I've tried Allure and quite liked it but the Sport seems quite different to its older brother. I've never owned a Chanel before.

Since it's winter here I might pick up Egoiste for the chilly season and add either Allure Sport or Platinum Egoiste in the spring season.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Guerlain Heritage
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955)
    Tiffany for Men
    New York
    Bogart pour Homme
    Thank you for the suggestions. PM looks like something I'd like. I have never read much on Bogart but I like the name. I am a big fan of film noir, and of Bogie in particular, so the Bogart and Third Man fragrance names always grab my attention when I browse the forum haha. Bogart is a spicy scent? I seem to remember people nominating it for fragrance of the year just when I joined the forum a year ago. I will do some researching on these.

Your dog is adorable by the way. I have a Portugese water dog who has spent the greater part of the day in the backyard contentedly munching snow. Saturday morning I may have to mop again

It's a shame that you don't want to wear Terre d'Hermes and Burberry London anymore. Those are some solid fragrances. Anyway, I would recommend you try the following:

B*Men by Thierry Mugler with the rubber flask.
    Burberry Brit
    Polo Modern Reserve
    Polo Double Black
    Dirty English by Juicy Couture
    Hugh Parsons (Blue)
    Geir
    Last edited by Ronin; 27th December 2008 at 01:41 AM.

kors
    kiehls musk
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

I love Caron - Pour un Homme and it's dirt cheap online. Also Dior Homme is great. I wouldn't limit myself to non-niche because a lot of deals can be found online and in the marketplace here.
    Last edited by runstile; 27th December 2008 at 06:59 AM.

Encre Noir

Polo Modern Reserve

Encens et Lavende

DG light blue

attitude

No.88

Keep the GIT

Purple Label

Timbuktu

Black Aoud

Hinoki

Jazz
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I'm going to stick to your parameters:

Caron pour Un Homme---This could be your every day scent for work (Alternative is the other Caron every-day The Third Man.)
    Dior Homme-------Really excellent one for going out (Alternative from Dior if you want a citrus based scent Eau Sauvage)
    Guerlain Habit Rouge-----This replaces the spicy ones you had before. (Alternative here would be Calvin Klein Obsession for Men)
    Rochas Man-----This is to replace the Givenchy Pi this has a lot of the same sweet notes to it. (Alternative to this would be Thierry Mugler A*Men)
    Chanel Antaeus-----This is your putting on your best suit scent. (Alternative here would be Chanel Egoiste)

If you do your online shopping carefully you should be able to acquire any five of these for about $250 total.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

An alternative to Chanel's Allure Homme sport is Versace's newest, Versace Pour Homme. They are quite similar in the topnotes but the Versace doesn't get as sweet in the base, instead it's woodier and more formal. A better day to day scent, IMO, since AHS transitions from fresh/playful to sweet/seductive at the end. The Versace also has a different heart with a lot of clary sage, and I find it to be an invigorating and mentally uplifting scent - great for daywear.

I really think M7 is worth considering. It's woody and warm and comforting - I'm going through a traumatic breakup right now and it's been one of the few scents that feels right in the aftermath.

Carons L'Anarchiste is a great all weather scent, although it truly excels in autumn as it is, imo, "the smell of autumn." Cinnamon and spices over woods and musk. Balanced between being an introspective and extroverted scent.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

A great leather that I just dicovered, and the only leather that I have ever liked, is Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve. Better that many frags at 200x the price. I bought mine online for $10 +/-.

Is there a defference between Clubman and Clubman Special Reserve? Are they similar (ie one stronger) or are they completely different scents?

Is there a defference between Clubman and Clubman Special Reserve? Are they similar (ie one stronger) or are they completely different scents?
    They are completely different scents. I bought mine at www.classicshaving.com click on the shavingsoap/cream link on the left and then scroll down.

Classic is a citrus and smells just like the talcum powder that they sell, and reserve is a soft leather. They are classified as aftershave splashes, but they last all day, and have fairly potent projection.
    Last edited by The Duke; 27th December 2008 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    They are completely different scents. I bought mine at www.classicshaving.com click on the shavingsoap/cream link on the left and then scroll down.

Classic is a citrus and smells just like the talcum powder that they sell, and reserve is a soft leather. They are classified as aftershave splashes, but they last all day, and have fairly potent projection.
    Thanks for the link. I just placed an order.
    Last edited by dmarino67; 27th December 2008 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I tried quite a few frags today, but many were unavailable at the local Macy's and Sephora shops.

I have to skin test the frags as much as possible because I cant trust my skin chemistry to react consistently-I occasionally have minor but irritating allergic reactions to frags, or my skin doesn't hold the scent.

I quite liked the Michael Kors and Double Black fragrances. Unfortunately the Double Black quickly disappeared on me, but the Kors scent lasted for hours and developed nicely on me.

Allure Homme Sport didnt respond well to me. I liked it on the card but it produced poor sillage on my skin.

Dior Homme smelled lovely, but gave me a headache. At this point I retired my nose for the day haha.

The Caron scents and Encre Noire were nowhere to be found. I might blind buy a Caron since I've never owned one. I enjoy lavender so I may purchase Pour un Homme. Encre Noire sounds very interesting, I may blind buy it if I pass over the Caron.
    Last edited by Xephon23; 28th December 2008 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks for the link. I just placed an order.
    I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do. Someone once wrote that it smells like Royal English Leather without the urinal cake note, and I agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Xephon23 View Post
    I quite liked the Michael Kors and Double Black fragrances. Unfortunately the Double Black quickly disappeared on me, but the Kors scent lasted for hours and developed nicely on me.
    What did you think of the Michael Kors? I have heard it said many times that it smells of pipe tabacco, which intrigues me. Did you get that impression?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I tried quite a few frags today, but many were unavailable at the local Macy's and Sephora shops.

I have to skin test the frags as much as possible because I cant trust my skin chemistry to react consistently-I occasionally have minor but irritating allergic reactions to frags, or my skin doesn't hold the scent.

Allure Homme Sport didnt respond well to me. I liked it on the card but it produced poor sillage on my skin.

Dior Homme smelled lovely, but gave me a headache. At this point I retired my nose for the day haha.

The Caron scents and Encre Noire were nowhere to be found. I might blind buy a Caron since I've never owned one. I enjoy lavender so I may purchase Pour un Homme. Encre Noire sounds very interesting, I may blind buy it if I pass over the Caron.
    They carry Encre Noir at Neiman Marcus and Saks. But definitely buy it from beautyencounter (cheaper)

What did you think of the Michael Kors? I have heard it said many times that it smells of pipe tabacco, which intrigues me. Did you get that impression?
    Hi Duke,

I did get a nice pipe tobacco scent from the Michael Kors that I tried. My grandfather smoked a pipe and the accord brought back good memories. I associate the smell of pipe tobacco with old school masculinity.

By the way, I really like your avatar.

They carry Encre Noir at Neiman Marcus and Saks. But definitely buy it from beautyencounter (cheaper)
    Thank you for the information. I will try to swing by Neimans and give it a try. It seems like a very interesting and dark scent.

Kenzo Power

I know that there can be a strong correlation between scent and memory but isn't getting rid of all your fragrances just a little extreme?
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Xephon23, my 2 cents worth:

Dior Homme - Iris & leather, think smooth
    Mugler Cologne - Anyday anywhere clean (alternative to story)
    Prada Amber pour Homme - Soapy goodness
    Caron 3rd Man - Fougere to wear everyday, nice floral heart
    Chanel Antaeus - When you meet a new love and go out on that formal date, wear this!

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    I know that there can be a strong correlation between scent and memory but isn't getting rid of all your fragrances just a little extreme?
    Yeah, it could be seen as extreme, but I honestly wasn't able to enjoy them anymore, and they were very wrapped up with her in my mind. I am a very sentimental guy.

I didn't destroy my fragrances, I gave them to some people who I hope will enjoy them.

When she would come home from work we had this ritual where she would sniff my neck and try to guess what I was wearing that day. If she guessed correctly I would give her a big kiss. If she guessed wrong she received a playful smack on the bottom. Yes, I'm weird lol, but I need time before I am able to use any of those fragrances again.

Hi Duke,

I did get a nice pipe tobacco scent from the Michael Kors that I tried. My grandfather smoked a pipe and the accord brought back good memories. I associate the smell of pipe tobacco with old school masculinity.

By the way, I really like your avatar.
    You have me wanting to go out and test some Michael Kors! Thank you.

Hi Xephon
    Hope next year all comes good for you .
    Try
    Giorgio
    Zino
    Polo Green
    Kouros
    Versace L'Homme original
    Carven Homme

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

After reading your profile, Etro Messe de Minuit came to mind. I got a bottle for under $40 at perfume.com

Sorry to hear the reason why you are at year zero with your fragrance wardrobe, but I commend you for starting this process again. No doubt you will associate new and compelling memories with the wonderful array of scents out there. Your initial choice of Guerlain Vetiver is a magnificent opener. There are very few feel good fragrances out there to match it. Good luck for the future

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    YSL Jazz & Live Jazz are both very good fragrances frequently on offer, casual spring & summer but work anytime, really.

For something younger, I think Diesel's Fuel for Life Men is the best on the fruity-citrus market.
    I would consider Live Jazz and Fuel for Life, for sure. Live Jazz is especially interesting. Somehow it keeps me cool on warm summer days, and it reacts wonderfully with heat and sweat. One of my favourites for sure, and very unique!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I appreciate it.

How is the construction going?

How is the construction going?
    I am burning through the Guerlain Vetiver and loving every minute of it.
    I also bought a bottle of Bulgari pH as a safe scent for subdued ocassions.

I'm holding out until the weather warms up here in Boston before I add to the collection. Live Jazz is up for consideration along with Caron's Anarchist and Hermes Orange Concentree.

Blog Entries

So what's your collection looking like right now? Just Guerlain Vetiver?

If I had to round it out with 4 others, non-niche, not on your list I'd have to go something like...

Sean John Unforgivable - The essential "anytime, anywhere" scent.
    Aramis Havana - No surprise coming from me.
    Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil or En Mediterranee - You indicated you like scents with fruit notes, le Nil has a very nice mango note and en Mediterranee has a fantastic fig note, they're both quite nice.
    Juicy Couture Dirty English - A versatile cedar fragrance that works at work or play.

Honorable mentions: Dior Homme, Hanae Mori HM, YSL Kouros.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I am burning through the Guerlain Vetiver and loving every minute of it.
    I also bought a bottle of Bulgari pH as a safe scent for subdued ocassions.

I'm holding out until the weather warms up here in Boston before I add to the collection. Live Jazz is up for consideration along with Caron's Anarchist and Hermes Orange Concentree.
    I have always been tempted to get a bottle of Anarchist. Good to see that all seems to be working out

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    So what's your collection looking like right now? Just Guerlain Vetiver?

If I had to round it out with 4 others, non-niche, not on your list I'd have to go something like...

Sean John Unforgivable - The essential "anytime, anywhere" scent.
    Aramis Havana - No surprise coming from me.
    Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil or En Mediterranee - You indicated you like scents with fruit notes, le Nil has a very nice mango note and en Mediterranee has a fantastic fig note, they're both quite nice.
    Juicy Couture Dirty English - A versatile cedar fragrance that works at work or play.

Honorable mentions: Dior Homme, Hanae Mori HM, YSL Kouros.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I look forward to sampling them, le Nil sounds wonderful and very appealing to me.

I have always been tempted to get a bottle of Anarchist. Good to see that all seems to be working out
    Thanks Duke. I'm taking it one day and one sniff at a time