Code of Conduct

Default SA gave me her card

Hey guys, a question here. How common is it for an SA to attach her card to some samples she gives you? This happened recently at Dillards and I wondered if this happens all the time or if she might be coming on to me (I have never had an SA include a business card with samples). She stapled it to a sample of Eternity. And she was VERY attractive!

Just curious.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Default Re: SA gave me her card

Yes that's common. They're on commission so the hope is you'll come back to that specific person if you do decide to buy whatever the samples are.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 26th December 2008 at 10:25 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

It's not common at Dillards from what I know... it can't hurt to call and ask her out. What's the worse that happens? Hell, if it gets you laid I say go for it.

Basenotes Institution

Very common

If you liked her than i say go for it. Whats the worst that can happen?
    I've never had an SA give me their card and i've never heard of it happening at a department store, Although their was a beautiful russian girl that helped me out when i visited the new dillards by my house, I wish she would've given me her card

i had a male SA give me his card(wrote his cell on it) and told me to "call him because he will always know about all the exclusives coming in early"..... i felt kind of bad to tell him that it wasnt my cup of tea so i just politely smiled took the card and left.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

protip: She most definitely did it because she was looking for more money. Not you. But by all means for comedic possibilities, persue

Tell her, "Now that i have tried all of the samples you gave me, what i really want to sample -- is you!!"

It is actually pretty common. When I was in Vegas I bought a bottle at Barney's and the SA attached her card, also when I bought a bottle in Nordstrom the SA attached her card. If you are looking to "get laid" as BBbd suggests then I advise you to go to a club, but, again I do not think "getting laid" has anything whatsoever to do with an SA attaching her card. I am not sure, maybe BBbd has "gotten laid" before from this happening, but seems normal to me. But who knows maybe she was into you? DId you talk to her at all?
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 27th December 2008 at 12:04 AM.

First rule of Business cards: When a person get his first batch, (s)he is going to hand them out whenever and wherever he can. Some think it is classy and respectful some think it is tacky.
    Second rule of business cards: When a dude get his fist wallet, he is going to stuff it with any random BC he gets. I guess it makes him feel important, or have a big butt, or something.

After watching three James Bond Movies straight (I do not remember them sucking that much ) I'd say to forget about it.

And what's up with this american fetish for a phone number? Every time I ask a woman my age for her number, she looks at me as if I had asked her to spend the night with me. It is just a phone number! I bet I could find it in five mins if I tried somewhere else.
    Last edited by irish; 27th December 2008 at 12:22 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Question

Well what would the SA do if she finds you cute and wants you to ask her out?

Answer

Well she'd hand out her card to you alongwith the goodies/samples.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT at the same time a sales representative is NOT going out of the way when he/she hands out his/her card to you alongwith your sample/purchase.

So we would never know if she was 'interested' or she just handed out her card as she would during normal operation of business.

The best way is to go 'deeper' and find out. Maybe call her and pretend you called to find out about any fragrance or even better, go visit her again.

I know I have gotten business cards from several SA from bergdorf, like at Guerlain and at Creed.

I think the most interesting encounter I had was at Jo Malone in Saks, and was only there for maybe 5 minutes or so now maybe they are just overly friendly, I really do no know, when I was about to leave after she gave me samples I said do you make commission should I come back to you (i was impressed first time i got samples from someone without having to ask for them from anyone at Saks)? she said it does not matter. I am the manager you can see anyone here. Then she said to me what is your name and I told her, she said very nice to meet you I am Debbie.

First time anyone asked me my name and then offered me their name. I am sure it was just a sales pitch, but she caught me off guard

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    The best way is to go 'deeper' and find out. Maybe call her and pretend you called to find out about any fragrance or even better, go visit her again.
    That's my suggestion as well - start the conversation on fragrances and see where it leads. If nothing else, you may end up with a very good friend.

Edit: Maybe it is because I am an 'older' guy but I get business cards from SAs all of the time.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th December 2008 at 12:30 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Maybe it is because I am an 'older' guy but I get business cards from SAs all of the time.
    Older guys have all the money....they are the ones who'd actually purchase and not just 'look around'
    Older guys are mostly married so they wouldn't cling to you...
    Older guys are more experienced

So why the heck won't older guys get business cards from cute SA's?

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Older guys have all the money....they are the ones who'd actually purchase and not just 'look around'
    Older guys are mostly married so they wouldn't cling to you...
    Older guys are more experienced

So why the heck won't older guys get business cards from cute SA's?
    When you put it that way, I want to give him my business card.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

At least in my experience getting the business card from the SA's is pretty common. I think I have a pretty complete collection from all of the SA's at most of the fragrance counters in town.
    I'm going to go with TwoRoads older guy theory crossed with Gupts theory that us older guys spend money.
    All that being said I also agree that it is worth starting a conversation up with the SA who gave you her card. Having people who like you at the fragrance counters in your neighborhood isn't a bad thing. You might not "get laid" but you might get samples.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    Hey guys, a question here. How common is it for an SA to attach her card to some samples she gives you? This happened recently at Dillards and I wondered if this happens all the time or if she might be coming on to me (I have never had an SA include a business card with samples). She stapled it to a sample of Eternity. And she was VERY attractive!

Just curious.
    When I was looking at men's fragrances in Nordstrom's last month, a couple of SA's gave me their cards! I had to tell them that I'm not from San Diego, and that I was only there for the weekend. Note that no one gave me their cards in the women's section. 'Not sure why that is. But they gave some samples to take home, and that far more interesting to me than business cards. In the Neiman Marcus, someone asked me if I was "looking for [sex]." But I think I just misheard her. Funny how the mind works, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    You might not "get laid" but you might get samples.
    Which is almost as good!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Man hit that shit from behind! I had an SA in Myers, i think it was, who gave me her card, but i think it was purely for business reasons cause i wasn't getting any 'vibe' from her. But if i thought she was attractive then i wouldn't have called her up for a date for sure.

The woman at the Creed counter asked for my name, introduced herself, and gave me a card.
    I didn't think much of it really.

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post

First time anyone asked me my name and then offered me their name. I am sure it was just a sales pitch, but she caught me off guard
    Now that is how I wish more people were like. Even if it was a sales pitch, it shows class and friendliness ( without being a fake). Something generally uncommon.

I have yet to see a young and attractive female department store SA at a men's fragrance counter outside of one exception. She was a YSL rep who's exactly my type (hot, young, and asian). Unfortunately, she was trying to convince me that Opium PH does not exist and that I must be thinking of L'Homme.

Guess I should have made a bet with her that it does exist... loser buys dinner or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Now that is how I wish more people were like. Even if it was a sales pitch, it shows class and friendliness ( without being a fake). Something generally uncommon.

And this was two days before christmas when the store was pretty crowded with lots of people everywhere

out of all the counters I visited so far Jo Malone and Aedes takes the cake for customer service especially for niche

Score!

( .. some samples I mean ..)
    -

I'd say it's best not to "read into" something that's not there...business is business, that's why we have business cards. If YOU are interested, and would like to know if she's thinking about you, converse a bit more ~ on the topic of fragrance ~ and GIVE HER YOUR NUMBER, "in case anything new comes in." See if she calls you. That way, you'll know. She'll be able to use the product as an intro, then lead into other conversation if she's interested. Put the ball in her court.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Put the ball in her court.
    ubuandibeme, I'm shocked!

Is that what people call it these days?

Seriously though, I agree wholeheartedly with your comment.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th December 2008 at 03:29 AM.

Very common....Its all about You purchasing from Her the next time.....Dillards does not pay commision anymore.....at least not here in my city.....She wants Your business the next time You purchase.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Tell her, "Now that i have tried all of the samples you gave me, what i really want to sample -- is you!!"
    You stole my line!
    With the way the economy is going, im pretty sure the SA's intentions are strictly financial.
    Last edited by knightowl; 27th December 2008 at 06:53 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I never get cards at Dillards... Which is pretty much exclusively where I shop for fragrance... I had an attractive salesgirl there once but I think (especially when I shop with my GF, which is pretty much always) I give off a very "proper" vibe. And a "proper" man doesn't accept the phone number of another woman with his woman around, no matter the context. So maybe that's why I've never gotten a card, but you did...

Or, it could be that she actually liked you.

I wonder if Dillards pays commission around here...

I don't think it would be a good idea to take it as a personal thing. She might even be offended if you called her. I think it's much safer not to do anything, so as not to get in any ackward/inconvenient situation.

I say just go for it, whats the worst that could happen? restraining order? bahhh! just toss them to the stack with the other ones. A divorce? an std? you got to take chances, ask her out!

(I would be to scared too)

Uhm... I get cards all the time from SAs, but I mostly shop at Barney's and sometimes Nordstroms.

Who knows? If you feel like it, I mean, it can't hurt to follow up... sort of. But it's really context.

Danho and SA sitting in a tree...
    Last edited by brianroy; 27th December 2008 at 01:31 PM.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    ubuandibeme, I'm shocked!

Is that what people call it these days?

Seriously though, I agree wholeheartedly with your comment.
    I have a way with words!!! LMAO! At age 46 I sometimes say things that make me seem like I'm about 86...which my lovely daughter reminds me of regularly!

never had it happen at dillards but have had it happen at nordies and saks
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron