Code of Conduct

Smile After 1 and Half Years - Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself!

Warmest Greetings and Happy Holidays to All BaseNoters!

I thought after STUDYING BaseNotes for a year and a half, I think it is time that I introduce myself to the community and become more a member of a community that I have learned so much from and that I absolutely adore.

About me, I am a CPA, 47 years young, and am absolutely fascinated with multinational financial management. Anything related to macro and micro economic theory, international accounting and the reformulations sometimes necessary to arrive at economic substance, corporate finance, financial engineering and derivative instruments, and the systems and software necessary to do this kind of work. If this is of any interest to you please feel free to PM me anytime and we can discuss. If not, I understand that the world is made up of individuals with individual tastes. Is that not what makes the world go around?

Also, I am essentially a minimalist. The essence of minimalism is to focus on quality and not on quantity and sometime the resulting clutter. Minimalists apply this thinking to architecture, interior design, clothing, shoes, sheets, towels, grooming, and yes the world of fragrance that I am absolutely ENAMORED with.

My avatar is quite an angry looking cat, is it not? The reason I chose TigerJuice for a sign-on name and this avatar is that I have a skin longevity and sillage issue. This situation is aggravated, as you all well know, by some of the weak juice, some of it quite expensive and not very provocative, that passes as the department store designer of the month in the expensive bottle approach. If a fragrance can only provide 2 hours of longevity, then to me, it is not bottle worthy.

I am currently applying theAttorney and other's somewhat minimalist approach to wardrobe construction, I would much prefer to have say 20 or 25 truly high quality fragrances, than say 100, where the quality or the provocativeness I seek may not be there for my taste and my skin. The two fragrances that have changed my approach to wardrobe construction are Amouage Reflection and Tiffany for Men. I know that many knock the Amouage house, and sometimes for good reason. However, I recently sampled this entire house, I have determined that Reflection is truly one of the most exquisite fragrances I have ever encountered. It is currently available in the 50 ml lead crystal flask. I e-mailed ParfumsRaffy and was told that Reflection will be available in the more modern Amouage 100 ml flask similar to Jubilation, Dia and Lyric.

As for Tiffany for Men, I am absolutely astounded by this fragrance! Polgue (sp?) got this fragrance so perfect for my taste it actually put my beloved Antaeus on the line. After some reflection, I have decided that Antaeus does indeed deserve a place in my wardrobe, even though for my taste, perhaps not quite as well done as TFM.

My current wardrobe
    GIT
    Tabarome Millesime
    Boucheron PH EDP
    Boucheron Jaipur EDP
    Terre d Hermes
    Equipage
    Michael Kors
    Duc de Vervins L'Extreme EDP
    Antaeus
    Dunhill 1934
    D&G PH
    Code
    Habit Rouge EDC
    Georgio Beverly Hills
    Ambre Sultan
    Tam Dao
    YSL Opium PH EDP
    Ava Luxe Cafe Noir
    Tiffany for Men

Notes I Like and Dislike

Citrus top notes
    Sandalwood
    Incense, if not overpowering, but more complex and provocative
    Well done Orientals (perhaps like Opium PH EDP and Jaipur EDP)
    Coffee

Dislike
    Rose or floral topnotes that never seem to go away (Perhaps like Black Oud, DC 1913, and for that matter Lyric). I know that this may seem like sacrilege to some, but I think we should all respect each other as individuals who will therefore necessarily have different tastes sometimes.
    Too much leather
    Too much tobacco
    Too much musk

I have learned from BaseNotes that the best approach in constructing a quality wardrobe is to SAMPLE, SAMPLE, and SAMPLE. This is the only way that one can arrive at a decision as to whether a fragrance is truly bottle worthy. I am currently sampling a variety of fragrances from Luckyscent and the TPC. I am seeking my next Reflection or TFM. I am optimistic.

I feel some joy of having finally taken the time to introduce to myself to my BaseNotes mentors and fellow Basesnoters. Of course, I am always open to wardrobe suggestions, or for that matter discussion relating to international financial management if you prefer!

I have gone on long enough. I would like to close by extending the kindest and warmest greetings to all BaseNoters. By Everyone, I mean Everyone, regardless of your age, gender, ethnicity, country, lifestyle or sexual preference. I think as a world we need to get beyond that, don't you?

I will try to start contributing to the SOTD thread in the very near future.

Kindest and truly warmest greetings to All,

TigerJuice

Sur la Plage

Default Re: After 1 and Half Years - Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself!

Hi TigerJuice - glad you decided to sign up as a member!

I would recommend trying the Annick Goutal "Les Orientalistes" line - Ambre Fetiche, Myrrhe Ardente and Encens Flamboyant (if you already haven't).

Good luck and happy sampling!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 30th December 2008 at 11:35 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Welcome to Basenotes, TigerJuice!

Nice introduction - anyone who likes Giorgio for Men is okay in my book!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Wow you posting in the 'just starting out' thread makes me feel a little intimidated!

Welcome Tigerjuice...that first post from you surely looks like its come from a 'seasoned' basenoter....Am glad that you finally decided to put your thoughts into writing...The fact that you could hold on for upto 18months before writing your first post speaks volumes about your patience and patience is surely a virtue for a serious 'fragrance collector'.....It is so important to be choosy when buying a full bottle and yet flexible enough to try out as many samples as one can because you never know what sample may become your favorite fragrance in the future....good to have you here....

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Welcome TigerJuice!

What a nice initial post that was. It says a lot about you and I think you know you arrived at the right place some year and a half ago. Great to have you finally as a registed, posting member.

I like your wardrobe too. We overlap in more than 50% of your stash with about a half dozen I have yet to try. I also agree that samples are a smart way to go, although I admit to blind buying on more than ::ahem:: one occasion, but with good results each time.

I am looking forward to reading many posts with your avatar attached!
    Last edited by kbe; 27th December 2008 at 01:18 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Welcome to Basenotes!
    Cruel and interesting that you need frags that have really good longevity but you don't much like some of the heavier molecules that are often used at fixatives. Ain't that the way of it? Fortunately you seem to have very broad taste: there is some tobacco in your collection, some leather, some heavy cedar, etc.
    If you haven't given L'Air du Desert Marocain a try, it might be worth your time. Excellent longevity (on my skin, anyway), lots of very dry amber.
    MPG Santal Noble has good longevity and a nice coffee note. I find it a particular pleasure in the winter months, although in Houston maybe that's neither here nor there.
    Gucci pour Homme registers to some noses are pure pine wood smoke but I get a really rich incense accord. I love the stuff, and it's cheap. It also lasts really well for me, and many incense frags disappear very quickly from my skin, the CDG line in particular.
    Happy hunting.
    Edit: One more thought. Have you experimented with iris or tuberose frags?
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 27th December 2008 at 02:06 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes, Fellow Accountant. Nice first-post.
    Good to see we have some frags in common. You may want to sample more of the scents from the Serge Lutens line, seeing you already have Amber Sultan and you like orientals, especially the Export series for availability.
    Looking forward to your posts on BN.

Welcome, welcome, welcome. Great first post....so thoughtful, and an interesting read! I look forward to seeing you on SotD!
    Lizzie.

Welcome TigerJuice and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Laine View Post
    Wow you posting in the 'just starting out' thread makes me feel a little intimidated!
    Yes indeed, we'll have to watch this one very closely young Skywalker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes, TigerJuice!

Nice introduction - anyone who likes Giorgio for Men is okay in my book!
    LOL! I was thinking this exact thought would be running through your mind, TwoRoads! And at that moment I said to myself, what a great new member - 'cause he's got to have TwoRoads' seal of approval now!

TigerJuice, you may have a big-cat avatar, but I just want to fluff your fur! I'm also a big new fan of Tiffany For Men - and that is one heck of a tiger juice - it just lasts and lasts.

I have gone on long enough. I would like to close by extending the kindest and warmest greetings to all BaseNoters. By Everyone, I mean Everyone, regardless of your age, gender, ethnicity, country, lifestyle or sexual preference. I think as a world we need to get beyond that, don't you?
    What a great holiday present to all of us! Welcome to Basenotes! And you, too, Ms_Laine! It's a pleasure to meet you! (My view of the "Just Starting Out" board is not so much that it isolates new members - it just puts all the fresh, interesting faces in a place that's easy for the old-timers to find!)

Welcome TigerJuice

I'd wholeheartedly recommend the houses of Parfumerie Generale and Profumum for their above average and often somewhat daring fragrances. Sample away my friend!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Welcome, TigerJuice!

Hello TigerJuice! I marvel at your self-restraint in waiting so long to join Basenotes. Glad you're here.

Smile Re: After 1 and Half Years - Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself!

Many thanks to all for your very warm welcome!

Ms_Laine, please do not feel intimidated, Basenotes is a great community and you are most welcome as anyone else. I wish I could suggest some brainy perfume suggestions for you, but I am not too familiar with female fragrances. However, the beauty of Basenotes is that many are, and they will be delighted to help an aspiring fragrance collector such as yourself.

Javagreen, I browsed the PG house you suggested I sample and I am very impressed with this house's approach and quality. However, there are so many PG fragrances, I was wondering if you might suggest some that you feel are particularly provocative that might match my tastes based on my wardrobe.

Again thanks to all and have a Great Sunday!

TigerJuice

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    Javagreen, I browsed the PG house you suggested I sample and I am very impressed with this house's approach and quality. However, there are so many PG fragrances, I was wondering if you might suggest some that you feel are particularly provocative that might match my tastes based on my wardrobe.
    While I can't be sure of which of these you'll fall in love with, I can fully recommend the following from the PG portfolio : L'Ombre Fauve, Bois de Copaiba, Cadjmere, Querelle, Coze, Louanges, Intrigant Patchouli, and, Musc Maori.

However, don't hesitate to sample the others from their line too, I only recommend the above because those are the ones which i've sampled, and have come to like them and by now own some of them.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather