Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default looking for a carrier alcohol...

everclear maybe? i tried vodka and it's not able to dissolve the oils i'm using.

have any of you used everclear succesfully? is it readily available at liquor shops here?

any suggestions would be great. the vodka just forms a layer with the oil, and when shaken forms bubbles...very annoying!

Default Re: looking for a carrier alcohol...

I use 190 proof Everclear. Its availability in the U.S. depends on the state in which you live. I think it is not available in New York but you should be able to get it in New Jersey.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Most people I know use Snowdrift Farms products.

Personally, I recommend their Artisan's Alcohol, as it's only 200 proof SD40B Alcohol and Hexylene Glycol which helps to function as a fixitive. It's also versatile as it can be used with water.

http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/perfume.html

Also, what oils are you using? Some oils such as Jojoba don't dissolve in any kind of alcohol. Jojoba is often used as a "carrier" oil in diluted products. For example, everything on this page. I don't understand this at all, because Jojoba cannot be used in products that contain water or alcohol. If companies used Dipropylene Glycol instead as the carrier, their products would be WAY more versatile with LESS limitations, and could be blended in to water and alcohol based products.
    Last edited by Neurotic Scientist; 28th December 2008 at 01:41 AM.

Yes, if you can't get 190 proof Everclear then the Artisan's Alcohol is an alternative. One issue with the Artisan's Alcohol is that it does contain an unstated amount of the hexylene glycol, I would guess at least 5-10%, and I prefer to add my own known amount of fixatives.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

well thanks fellas....i've decided to order a small bottle of Artisian's Alcohol.....guess we'll have to see how it goes...more or less a testing process i suppose.

cheers for the advice!

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For living in a dry county, it's surprisingly easy to get Everclear here (in West Texas). Moreso than when I was in Illinois, where I could only buy those little bitty paper-bag-sized bottles.

I've tried using Everclear for both a vanilla tincture and a Spanish broom tincture, both of which turned out horribly. I think it has more to do with technique and materials though, than the Everclear.

Someone else has told me though (and I can't remember who), that they have not had good results with Everclear, for whatever reason, I can't remember either.

I'm going to give it one more go, though, with essential oils, rather than for tinctures. I'll post if that works or not.
    Last edited by Aiona; 28th December 2008 at 03:01 AM. Reason: clarifying "here"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, jojoba 'oil' is actually a liquid wax, I believe, so that may be why it has difficulty dissolving in alcohol, but I'm just shooting in the dark there. Jojoba oil actually mixes quite poorly with a few essential oils too, in my limited experience, but it is very stable as a carrier and outlasts the vast majority of EOs it is mixed with by decades (with rare exceptions like sandalwood and agarwood oil).

I have used everclear with pretty good success.