Code of Conduct

Default How do you know your scent is projecting?

Inspired by this thread:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=220869

I wonder how could you know which scent has good or low sillage? I can always smell the scent I wear, mostly from my chest, and have rarely asked people if they could smell my scent.

What about you? You know it by asking those around you or is it just your own evaluation? Thanks.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Default Re: How do you know your scent is projecting?

As much as I hate to admit, I don't trust my own nose when it comes to the fragrances that I have own for a while. I find asking people for their honest opinions is the most objective way.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

If i can still smell it on myself after 3 hours then i know it has been projecting. Again if i leave my (airconditioned and private) office and return i usually smell the residuals as soon as i open the door, even with the ever-present vanilla and sandalwood room fragrance. Yup, not one for "people-sensitive" frags

What about clothes? You spray on them, change your clothes at night and the following morning there is some sort of scent related to the perfume you wore lirking around. The interesting point is that at the same time I changed, I couldn't smell the fragrance on me.

i have 2 ways that might sounds crazy. the first would be to walk and then turn around as if you was looking behind you, you would then smell the trail of your scent. the 2nd is while driving in the air conditioned car roll down your drivers window and then let back up slowly you could also smell your scent.

I read at some point that LT recommends to spray on a card, leave the room and come back. I have read a lot of gimmicky methods to test for sillage, but the most reliable one is also the easiest one:

Just ask somebody else.
    Last edited by irish; 28th December 2008 at 06:08 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    i have 2 ways that might sounds crazy. the first would be to walk and then turn around as if you was looking behind you, you would then smell the trail of your scent. the 2nd is while driving in the air conditioned car roll down your drivers window and then let back up slowly you could also smell your scent.

And i thought i was the only one who did those things. So crazy i couldnt even admit it earlier

Sometimes our cat comes back from a longer stroll around the neigbourhood and it clearly smelles of some old woman's perfume (still unidentified). I think that this could be a good testing method. Spray it on your pet!

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    I read at some point that LT recommends to spray on a card, leave the room and come back.
    I find this method very reliable. L'Heure Bleue was projecting violets to the top of the stairs from my bedroom even after 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    And i thought i was the only one who did those things. So crazy i couldnt even admit it earlier
    lol , it works

I know when people start fainting around me

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I know when people start fainting around me
    ...or when I wear Joop ! Nightflight

I can put one spray in a room from this bottle, and the whole floor will smell like Nightflight ...or as SirSlarty's review noted like "...A laundry room with the lights off ..." .

Projection galore !!

i have no idea. i guess when you stop smelling it on you. But... i always stop smelling whatever it maybe that i'm using after like 20 mins =/ Issey Miyake is strangely the only thing that this isnt the case with for me.

When I feel the fragance....Thats it.....And the day after if my clothes have some smell.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing that helps is if you only spray your arms. Then you will be smelling pretty much the same thing as everybody else, albeit a little stronger. If you spray your chest or neck, then you will have to resort to some tricks, or ask somebody. Asking doesn't work for me.

My son asked today if I had applied cologne...and I hadn't been within about 10 feet of him at the time. That's when I new I had been "projecting". Scent was Chanel Égoïste.
    ...James

Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    My son asked today if I had applied cologne...and I hadn't been within about 10 feet of him at the time. That's when I new I had been "projecting". Scent was Chanel Égoïste.
    I feel that Egoiste has no sillage. May I know how many sprays did you use and how long had you worn it before getting asked by your son. And did you spray it on your clothes at all? Thanks.

To other replies, I agree with some comments about feeling awkward asking other people.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    I feel that Egoiste has no sillage. May I know how many sprays did you use and how long had you worn it before getting asked by your son. And did you spray it on your clothes at all? Thanks.

To other replies, I agree with some comments about feeling awkward asking other people.
    I did 6: 1 to each wrist, 1 to each inside of the elbow (what do you call that?) and twice to the neck/chest area. He mentioned it within about 30 minutes. I sprayed in the bathroom, walked through the kitchen and was messing about in the living room when he mentioned it.
    ...James

Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    I did 6: 1 to each wrist, 1 to each inside of the elbow (what do you call that?) and twice to the neck/chest area. He mentioned it within about 30 minutes. I sprayed in the bathroom, walked through the kitchen and was messing about in the living room when he mentioned it.
    Getting a whiff of it within 30 minutes sounds normal to me. I used to use only 4 sprays of Egoiste, but from now on I'd do 6-7. Thanks for letting me know about this.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I usually judge a fragrance's projection by whether I can smell it or not.

If I start sweating because I've clogged my pores with fragrance

Sur la Plage

Birds drop out of the sky.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Birds drop out of the sky.
    or when flies leave you alone ..
    Seriously tho >> when your asked if your a carpenter when wearing VISIT

This won't always happen but when it does you know you project alottt....when you walk by someone(not right next to them) and don't stop or slow down, and on the way back that person feels the need to notify you of the scent, then its really out there.....
    However big distinction needs to be made about fragrances that project because you have just put them on(within last 30 min), and the fragrances that project throughout the day(those are very very few and far in between...at least on my skin).
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 31st December 2008 at 01:23 AM.