Code of Conduct

Default SotW December 20th - 26th, 2008

Happy Holidays Basenotes Nation!! This Holiday Week 43 has our first four-way tie for the top spot. Before we get to that let’s look at the raw numbers. There were a total of 1,085 posts, the lowest number since Week 22. There were 619 different scents mentioned, the lowest since Week 21. There were 48 (7.8%) scents that were posted for the very first time. 414 scents were posted only once, the lowest since Week 17. The individuality index was at 38.2% which is in line with the index since the weather turned colder. It was not an unexpected turn to have the lower totals this week as I’m sure much of the community was busy with Holiday activities which kept them from making SotD a part of those activities. The top 10 is pretty interesting with four scents tied for #1 with 10 wears apiece, one scent at #5 with 9 wears, four scents at #6 with 8 wears and six scents at #10 with seven wears for a total of 15 scents on the list this week.
    This was a fascinatingly different week. Guerlain was still the top House with 96 wears over 36 scents. The differences come with the House leader of Mitsouko being one of the #1 scents. Five more Guerlains populate the top 10 with Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice, Habit Rouge and Vetiver making up three of the four scents tied for #6. There were also two more Guerlains in the group tied for #10, Jicky and Spiriteuse Double Vanille. The surprises don’t stop there as Chanel bumps Serge Lutens out of the second slot with 69 wears over 21 scents led by Egoiste, which is also one of the #1 scents, this week. Coco Mademoiselle also joins in, in the group tied for #10. This was the second best week for Chanel ever. Serge Lutens does come in third with 54 wears over 17 scents led by Borneo 1834 which is the other scent with the three Guerlains at #6. Arabie is in the group tied at #10. Creed finished in fourth this week with 38 wears over 21 scents led by Bois du Portugal in the group tied for #10. Hermes brings up the rear with 23 wears over 9 scents. The surprise here is the House was led by Bel Ami with 5 wears good for a tie for #21. The big 5 totals for the week were 280 (25.8%) wears over 104 (16.8%) scents.
    The other Houses had good weeks as well. Caron had one of its best weeks led by the seasonal Nuit de Noel which was the third of the #1 scents. Yves St. Laurent provided the other #1 with Rive Gauche pour Homme which led the House in a slightly above average week for it. Christian Dior provided the #5 scent in Dior Homme and also had a good week slightly above average. The remaining scent in the top 10 is from the other House which had an above average week and that’s Bvlgari and Black is tied for #10 to lead that House. The down Houses this week were, L’Artisan, Le Labo, and Bond #9.
    The top 10 this week is quite different from what we’ve seen the last few weeks and I think the explanation for that is the Holidays. There are four scents mentioned by community members as being scents that they associate with the holidays and those were; Caron Nuit de Noel, Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice, Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille, and Serge Lutens Arabie. I have to say I expected Michael Storer Winter star to join this group but with only four wears this week it didn’t come close. The other Holiday factor is I think we wore what we consider to be our more formal scents this week and I think this showed in the big weeks for Chanel Egoiste and Guerlain Mitsouko. Really I think this is also the reason for the big week for Chanel as a House as eight of the 21 posted scents had four or more wears. The last Holiday factor was wearing new things and Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 benefitted from that dynamic.
    Here now the top 10 for December 20th 26th, 2008.
    1.) Caron Nuit de Noel 10 wears (0.9%)
    1.) Chanel Egoiste 10 wears (0.9%)
    1.) Guerlain Mitsouko 10 wears (0.9%)
    1.) Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme 10 wears (0.9%)
    5.) Dior Homme 9 wears (0.8%)
    6.) Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice 8 wears (0.7%)
    6.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 8 wears (0.7%)
    6.) Guerlain Vetiver 8 wears (0.7%)
    6.) Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 8 wears (0.7%)
    10.) Bvlgari Black 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Chanel Coco Mademoiselle 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Creed Bois du Portugal 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Guerlain Jicky 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille 7 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Serge Lutens Arabie 7 wears (0.6%)

Five scents just missed this week; Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, Shiseido Feminite du Bois, Yves St. Laurent M7, Ralph Lauren Polo Green, and Frederic Malle Noir Epices. The new scent race was won by Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 followed by Chanel No. 5 eau Premiere three wears back. That’s it for week 43 as we head into the New Year’s next week. If we saw our formal wear this week will it be time to break out our party scents next week?
    As always, you keep wearing ‘em and I’ll keep counting ‘em
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 29th December 2008 at 04:56 AM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotW December 20th - 26th, 2008

As always, you keep counting ‘em and I'll keep enjoying reading about 'em!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Default Re: SotW December 20th - 26th, 2008

Thanks for the post Somerville Metro Man !

Nice to see there is a lot of love for Rive Gauche pH with the SotD's .