Code of Conduct

Default Piment Brūlant: Culture-dependent impressions?

I recently tested L'Artisan's Piment Brulant, a fragrance that attempts to combine a (very strong) chili pepper note and a (very weak) chocolate note.

When applied to my skin, the chili pepper note smells EXACTLY like hot sauce, a condiment I typically associate with sports bars, fast food taco chains, and Texas. These, coincidentally, are all places (apologies to any Texans here,) I DON'T associate with fine french perfume. Thus, the scent of Piment Brulant strikes me not only as unusual but also ironic and possibly even defiant. It occurs to me that becuase different cultures use chili peppers in many different ways, my own impressions are probably very culturally specific.

Has anyone else had their reaction to this (or another) fragrance influenced by specific personal or cultural associations?

Default Re: Piment Brūlant: Culture-dependent impressions?

More than anything, I think my reaction to Pimen Brulant was influenced by visits to the supermarket produce aisle. It reminds me of shopping for bell peppers.

I'm from Texas but oddly this frag doesn't remind me of my beloved hot sauce, it reminds me of my grandma's Spaghetti Red, I like this frag because it's a different type of gourmande instead of the the usual sweet candy notes, this brave little fragrance has hot and spicy ones, a nice change of pace for me
    I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc

Basenotes Institution

Have you ever heard of, or tasted, chocolate with chili peppers in it? I have. This type of chocolate is popular in health food stores, as well as having ancient Aztec-oriented roots.

The effect is one of heat, that sour-acid-biting smell of peppers (not black peppers, but chili peppers) and...well, chocolate. A very subtle chocolate. Of course, because this is such a flat, transparent scent the note that most people's noses zero in on is the peppers. Which most people associate with the smell of biting into a green bell pepper strip.

When I wear PB I intentionally over apply it. This serves two purposes: It lasts longer. It really does smell more spicy chocolate and less bell pepper oriented. I also find that warm weather (or sweating) enhances the scent - so I rarely wear it in Fall/Winter.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th December 2008 at 12:34 AM.

In my theory, this is also the reason why Asians prefer 'synthetic smelling, fresh aquatics' over orientals.

In South East Asia, you can find open air markets around every corner, selling exotic spices and foods. You don't wanna be smelling like those.

Just like I said in that 'I'm going for a date in a Zoo, recommend me a frag'-thread, you don't want to smell like your enviroment, but you want to create a subtle contrast.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!