Code of Conduct
    Hillaire

Default Caron Recommendations Women's

Currently, I only know Yatagan and Pour un Homme from Caron (I love Yatagan, P U H, not so much),
    but I am positively dying to try one of their classics.
    In fact, this will be my among next purchase, and I am confident enough to
    buy one bottle blind...

Thus far:

I am intrigued by descriptions of Nuit de Noel; it sounds sumptuous and dark.

Parfum Sacre is also beckoning me, a classic character, I expect.

And Narcisse Noir, though apparently meddled with, is enchanting by reputation.

I think I'd like something sumptuous and heady, for evening.

Any suggestions? Please compare to any examples from other houses, too, as I am somewhat of a Caron novice.

Default Re: Caron Recommendations Women's

Sumptuous and heady is what classic Carons do well!

I recommend trying Tabac Blond, a heavy, vanillic and somewhat voluptuous leather, and Poivre, a rich, spicy oriental. I'm afraid I find it hard to compare either of them to other fragrances. The leather in Tabac Blond is rather like that in Cuir Ottoman. The clove note in Poivre is vaguely like that in Ava Luxe's Kretek, though gentle compared to Kretek's very high-decibel clove.

Perhaps my all-time favorite Caron is Farnesiana, but it's not a power-house the way the above two are. It's based on mimosa and almond; very smooth and gentle.

Blog Entries

I'll second Parfum Sacré. It received four wearings on the women's SotD thread today, including my own. It is the epitome of classic elegance, yet unique. I can't say, "It reminds me of X." Vibert describes this scent very accurately in his review (as he so often does).

I'm positively aching to try Tabac Blond! And now I've gone and read about Poivre and added another fragrance to my "Must Try" list. Still, I think my favorite threads are those which make that list longer.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Parfum Sacré is the only one I've ever tried and it's an example of opulence from days gone by - but in a wearable way. Perfectly blended, too: I really can't pick out individual notes. The pyramid says there's rose in it, which I usually detest. I get none, just a warm, glowy, resinous concoction with a slight soapy edge to it, which I attribute to either jasmine or orange flower.
    Actually, you've inspired me to dig out my sample and wear it today. Thanks!
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I am intrigued by descriptions of Nuit de Noel; it sounds sumptuous and dark.

Parfum Sacre is also beckoning me, a classic character, I expect.

And Narcisse Noir, though apparently meddled with, is enchanting by reputation.

I think I'd like something sumptuous and heady, for evening.

Any suggestions? Please compare to any examples from other houses, too, as I am somewhat of a Caron novice.
    While I like Nuit de Noel, I think you might be disappointed if you're expecting sumptuous and dark, or even a Christmassy fragrance. Its a lovely chypre, and I find it wears better in slightly warmer weather. So for me, its a late summer/early fall scent (in my Midwestern US climat).

I also have Parfum Sacre and Narcisse Noir. Of the two, I think Parfum Sacré has the wider appeal. It is indeed a good choice for the holidays: spicy, but not too sweet and therefore more sophisticated.

Unfortunately, Narcisse Noir has become sickly sweet and without the counterbalancing darkness needed to make it work.

Off-Scenter

Parfum Sacré.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 30th December 2008 at 06:22 PM.

Sacre is the safest choice - simply gorgeous and easily obtainable, but Tabac Blonde (I haven't smelled it since it's supposedly been desecrated but it used to be divine) and Montaigne are beautiful in parfum also.

Narcisse Noir nearly put me off my perfume hobby so I would give it a wide berth - sickly sweet and somehow sinister and asphyxiating...

Parfum Sacre and Nuit de Noel would probably be the Carons I come back to. And there aren't many. Bellodgia is okay if you like carnation done in an old fashioned way. For bright citrus, Eau de Reglisse might hit the spot.

I have yet to try Farnesiana, which is one Caron I am interested in sampling.

Sorry Caron, thus far into my hobby, I don't get you! And I love powdery Guerlains, so I don't know what the problem is!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I have smelled a couple of them, but they didn't agree with me. The only one to work well for me is Aimez Moi. It is an absolute fav of mine. It smells soooooo good in the spring and summer.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Narcisse Noir nearly put me off my perfume hobby so I would give it a wide berth - sickly sweet and somehow sinister and asphyxiating...

Parfum Sacre and Nuit de Noel would probably be the Carons I come back to. And there aren't many. Bellodgia is okay if you like carnation done in an old fashioned way. For bright citrus, Eau de Reglisse might hit the spot.

I have yet to try Farnesiana, which is one Caron I am interested in sampling.

Sorry Caron, thus far into my hobby, I don't get you! And I love powdery Guerlains, so I don't know what the problem is!
    If you've tried Bellodgia and Caron Rose, you can imagine what Farnesiana smells like. IMO, all three take the same approach to florals: they drown them in vanilla. Farnesiana is hardly even recognizable as Mimosa.

Hillaire

Parfum Sacre it is!
    Thank you for the tips
    I am intrigued endlessly by Tabac Blonde, too, but the "Urn" Carons are cost prohibitive. Also there is so much drama of disappointment about its reformulation, I am wary. Lucca Turin gave the new version only one star in his guide, while he gave the Rive Gauche reformulation five, which I consider a tragedy of epic proportion!
    I will wait until I procure samples for that one, I think. or until I find a vintage bottle on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    If you've tried Bellodgia and Caron Rose, you can imagine what Farnesiana smells like. IMO, all three take the same approach to florals: they drown them in vanilla. Farnesiana is hardly even recognizable as Mimosa.
    Thanks for the heads up - I shan't race to try Farnesiana. So many of the Caron line are a veritable sneezefest for me, sadly.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I liked Parfum Sacre, and did smell the rose, but was disappointed by its short duration. I am a bit of a scent-eater, so maybe it's just me. Do other people find it quite fleeting?

Not very, no. Very much average longevity on me, I believe. Then again, My skin holds on to fragrance forever, even the L'Artisans everyone complains about.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut View Post
    I liked Parfum Sacre, and did smell the rose, but was disappointed by its short duration. I am a bit of a scent-eater, so maybe it's just me. Do other people find it quite fleeting?
    Not fleeting at all on me. Try spraying the inside of your clothes to make scent last longer and preserve the topnotes a bit. Or alternatively, spray your chest, let it dry, then spray once more.

Thumbs up Re: Caron Recommendations Women's

PARFUM SACRE is fantastic
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I'll definitely agree that Parfum Sacre is the most accessible of the Carons but if you ever get the chance, do try Tabac Blond, it really is good, despite what Luca Turin says. And if you want to spend the whole day doing the Basenotes Salute (wrist glued to nose), try the Tabac Blond parfum extrait. It is utterly glorious.

Narcisse Noir has a lot of civet in it, which would explain VMIHateCivet's utter repulsion! Having worn it last night I can assure you that "rich and heady evening perfume" would sum it up completely. Do try it, it's worth it.

And because Poivre can be a devil to get hold of, keep your eye open for the eau de toilette version, which is called Coup de Fouet. It isn't as rich and unctuous as Poivre, being rather more refreshing, but it's definitely worth a sniff. (There again, in my opinion, pretty much anything is worth sniffing. I am brave. I have smelled Paris Hilton's CanCan.)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729