Code of Conduct

Default Help with incense fragrance?

Hi guys,

Im new here although Ive been watching basenotes for a long time.
    Well, Im in the search of an incense fragrance and Id like to read your opinions.Ive tried CDG Avignon and Jaisalmer and did not like the first one ( I know its high rated here). My issue is: Its been harder and expensive to find another Jaisalmer and Id like to see alternatives to them. I like the oriental/mystical touch of incense frags and thats why Im trying to get away of "common" ones. What about Sandalo by Etro?

Thanking in advance,

Default Re: Help with incense fragrance?

Welcome aboard! I don't know how "common" any of these fragrances really are outside of people on basenotes, but be that as it may. Since, IMHO, you've already tried the two best ones from CdG, I'd suggest you look at the offerings from Olivier Durbano (esp. Black Tourmaline and Rock Crystal) and L'Artisan (esp. Passage d'Enfer and Dzonghka). Etro's Messe de Minuit has some fans on here, but if you didn't like Avignon, you probably won't care for it either. Heeley's Cardinal is great for the first half hour or so, but there is something about its drydown I remember not caring for very much. I enjoy Lorenzo Villoresi's Incensi, but prefer his Spezie, which also has a bit of an incense vibe, although spices are its primary focus. Finally, Dominico Caraceni is a wonderful incense rose fragrance that is apparently going out of production.

Oh yes, I'm not an Andy Tauer fan, but there are many, many folks on here who would tell you that his are must-tries for those with an interest in incense.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 30th December 2008 at 06:06 PM.

Thank you so much Tony! Id take a look of some of those...

Yeah, samples are easily ordered from Tauer's website. If you love incense, you have to at least give Incense Extreme and Incense Rose a shot.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I bought a little bottle of Nag Champa perfum oil. One drop on each wrist lasts 6-8 hours and the projection is amazing. I thought to myself 'how could 2 little drops be so strong!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron.D View Post
    I bought a little bottle of Nag Champa perfum oil. One drop on each wrist lasts 6-8 hours and the projection is amazing. I thought to myself 'how could 2 little drops be so strong!?"
    Sounds interesting...

In addition to the previous suugestions may I add my personal favorite: Fifi Award winner Bois d' Encens by Armani Prive. Short on longevity, but an amazing frag. If you want a heavy duty long lasting incense look no further than Incense by Norma Kamali. For a more gentlemen interpretation, Aedes Venustas new one is very good.

Sur la Plage

Comme des Garons 2 Man
    Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thank you so much guys...sugestions are always welcome
    I forgot to tell you that I want something more pointed to men.
    Last edited by Zoso777; 30th December 2008 at 11:48 PM.

you may want to try Jubilation XXV it has a lite incense scent

Here are some great incensey fragrances that each go in a different direction:

Czech and Speake Frankincense and Myrrh - frankincense
    Penhaligon's Elixir - eucalyptus & green incense
    Let Me Play the Lion by Les Nez - smoke in the desert incense
    Comme des Garcons Palisander - warm woods
    MPG Santal Noble - spiritual sandalwood

I smelled Scent79 by Jil Sanders at the boutique in Soho, it's supposed to be an attempt at niche, and it's really amazing. The first hour I get a ton of smoke, and resins, it freakin blows my mind, this smoke effect is what makes me think of incense, perhaps the tobbacco and orris accords smell like incense, anyhow, it was 150. at the boutique, or 90 for 4.2 oz. at Neiman Marcus, I opted for the latter. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Though basically a rose scent, and though most people find it more than acceptably feminine -sometimes I myself too-, after a time Amouage Lyric Man turns into a beautiful incense scent. Something the like, which I only found in Villoresi Incensi, but even much nicer, no other word: breathtaking.
    Give it a try.

Thank you all so much for your words. Indeed,I was wondering about those real Indian incense sticks (like Padmini,Masala, Hem...)smells in the form of a EDT fragrance. Do this exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso777 View Post
    Ive tried CDG Avignon and Jaisalmer and did not like the first one ( I know its high rated here).
    I think you need to try Kyoto form the Incense Series. I re-tried it today, and it really is quite perfect and avoids the sour notes of some of the series other offerings. I'll also second Jubilation XXV, the first incense based fragrance that I truly love. Enjoy your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I think you need to try Kyoto form the Incense Series. I re-tried it today, and it really is quite perfect and avoids the sour notes of some of the series other offerings. I'll also second Jubilation XXV, the first incense based fragrance that I truly love. Enjoy your journey.
    Im about to receive the Zagorsk CDG...hope I dont hate it
    I will try a sample of Jubilation XXV! Thank you!

I don't know that this is considered an incense scent, but Crabtree and Evelyn's Sienna reminds me of Jaisalmer.
    Also, a common cheapie (again, not classified as incense), Halston's Z-14 is a spiced aromatic scent with an incense feel.

I'll also recommend M7. I was wearing today and someone said, "You smell like incense." I hadn't thought of it as such before, but the drydown definitely has a strong incense accord.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso777 View Post
    Thank you all so much for your words. Indeed,I was wondering about those real Indian incense sticks (like Padmini,Masala, Hem...)smells in the form of a EDT fragrance. Do this exist?
    Angelique Encens by Creed, it smells like incens but not the churchy heavy incense that is most commonly referred to in perfume. Angelique encens is like incense sticks in a box and I love it. Apparantly some people call it a headshop smell and I think of it as the smell of a new age store

There was another one that smelled kinda like this and it could have been Le Maroc Pour Elle.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Try a sample of Keiko Mecheri Oliban. It's a superb incense scent, with good sillage and longevity. It's a definite compliment magnet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Angelique Encens by Creed, it smells like incens but not the churchy heavy incense that is most commonly referred to in perfume. Angelique encens is like incense sticks in a box and I love it. Apparantly some people call it a headshop smell and I think of it as the smell of a new age store

There was another one that smelled kinda like this and it could have been Le Maroc Pour Elle.

Thanks for the Creed tip, but its too expensive...