Code of Conduct

Default Forest frag = found

There's good news and bad news here. I have been looking for a forest frag (a west coast forest - cedar and douglas firs and wet, loamy earth etc.) for ages and amidst my small batch of Cb I hate Perfume samples that I received for Xmas was 'Wild Hunt' and it is officially the forestiest frag I've ever smelled. In fact I'm not convinced I could tell the difference between this frag and an actual forest. It's fabulous.

That's the good news. Other good news is that holy crap, C Brosius sure makes frags that smell like what they say on the label. Black March? YES, exactly like the description. The At The Beach 1966 frag? Again, exact match. Burning Leaves. Yes, this smells just like a pile of...burning leaves. Gorgeous and autumnal.

The bad news is they all dry down into something sweetly bland (At The beach remains beachy all the way through, though) and, to my nose, not really related to what they initially smelled of. Also, these smells are evocative and wonderful - it's an experience just to smell something in the vial that is so similiar to what it is in nature, but I think they're better used as room frags or as mood frags (i.e. worn in house to match a mood, season etc.).

I was very curious about this line, and I'm glad I've tried it. It seems CB has taken mostly negative criticism here (from what I've read, which is probably not even close to everything) but I have to say I admire his whole project. It's not traditional perfumery, I don't think, but it's interesting and just very cool to recreate these life-smells so closely and then experience them and the emotional reaction they invoke. I felt an immediate wave of homesickness for British Columbia the second I sniffed the Wild Hunt.

Now I MUST get my hands on a sample of his Baby Aspirin Accord because if anything is going to give me a Proustian madeleine moment it's this one.

A big overall thumbs up to the CB project and here's hoping he can sort out the drydowns.
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 30th December 2008 at 11:05 PM.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Default Re: Forest frag = found

That ho-hum drydown is most of modern frags, it seems. Even the newest reformulations of Jicky and Shalimar have musks in the drydown that leave much to be desired.

I just received Tea/Rose, At the Beach 1966, and Black March. I too, love his creativity with the memory scents. I would love to try all of them. What drives me crazy is that I don't really know what I'm smelling. At the Beach says is smells like crushed seashells and salty ocean air (or something like that). My first thought was that it smelled like dandelion. But, I really don't know what dandelion smells like. It's very pretty, but I agree it fades quickly.

Tea/Rose smells like black tea and rose...not a tea rose. BM smells like a wet garden to me. Mossy, and dirty. It's typically not my style, but I'm trying to branch out of my comfort zone. Plus it got a good review on either NST or perfume posse.

Maybe it's just good marketing but it's woking for me! I'm so curious to try all of his scents! What about the tomato one (Memory of Kindness)? Or the grape vine (Under the Arbor?)
    Tara-Leigh

"Don't believe everything you think" Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I forgot to ask you about Wild Hunt? Does it smell like pine? Or is more mossy and woody?

I love pine!
    Tara-Leigh

"Don't believe everything you think" Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That ho-hum drydown is most of modern frags, it seems. Even the newest reformulations of Jicky and Shalimar have musks in the drydown that leave much to be desired.
    I wonder what's actually going on here. I.e. is there some reason (cost, time etc.?) that drydowns are so generally blah, or is it simply laziness on the part of the nose or on the part of the commissioner of the nose?

I just received Tea/Rose, At the Beach 1966, and Black March. I too, love his creativity with the memory scents. I would love to try all of them. What drives me crazy is that I don't really know what I'm smelling. At the Beach says is smells like crushed seashells and salty ocean air (or something like that). My first thought was that it smelled like dandelion. But, I really don't know what dandelion smells like. It's very pretty, but I agree it fades quickly.

Tea/Rose smells like black tea and rose...not a tea rose. BM smells like a wet garden to me. Mossy, and dirty. It's typically not my style, but I'm trying to branch out of my comfort zone. Plus it got a good review on either NST or perfume posse.

Maybe it's just good marketing but it's woking for me! I'm so curious to try all of his scents! What about the tomato one (Memory of Kindness)? Or the grape vine (Under the Arbor?)
    I find At The Beach quite evocative of...beach. But it's a beach with a lot of people on it, possibly an amusement park behind it, a boardwalk, pier etc. It's not a deserted, wild beach. I don't *think* I get dandelion from it but I'll need to try it again. ITA on Black March - smells exactly like wet earth in the spring. Sort of fertile and dirty, but in a good way.

Memory of Kindness and Under The Arbor are both high up on my to-test list from CB, as is the new one November, which sounds awesome: "pumpkin pie, fallen apples, bonfire, woodsmoke, dried grass, fallen leaves, wet branches, damp moss, chanterelle mushrooms and a hint of pine forest". Given what I've learned from these few testers, November is a must-have. I am very taken with CB's ability (and desire) to duplicate actual smells from life.

Wild Hunt definitely smells pine-y, but it also smells mossy and woody. It's not a managed forest, it's an old overgrown forest that gets a lot of rain. It is my favourite and, imo, the most complex of all my testers (the last one I got is Reinvention 93 which I have yet to try).
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

This thread title immediately got my attention. Great forest scents are my holy grail... and I'm still searching.
    I have been severely underwhelmed by the CBs I've tried so far. They all smell very similar to me, and they all have an unpleasant, thin, blandly sweet drydown.
    Here's what I've tried:
    Mr. Hulot's Holiday -- detergent-y marine
    Winter 1972 -- characterless frost
    Just Breathe -- very fruity/sweet
    Greenbriar 1968 -- sweet tobacco/hay
    Fire from Heaven -- a real disappointment, a very bland and pale incense scent. Incense for Beginners.
    Memory of Kindness -- very faint green, didn't get the tomato notes
    M#1 Narcissus -- the only one I won't dismiss. Interesting green notes, too sweet for me though.
    In the Library -- weird peach/melon pudding

Now doggone it, I need to try Wild Hunt (it does sound interesting) and also CB93.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 31st December 2008 at 04:59 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

poor longevity is also an issue. loved burning leaves but can't carry the bottle around spritzing all day, had hoped the absolute would be better but. . . same thing... after awhile zip

The green-apple scent was charming. Crisp, very tart, very juicy and with nature's pucker highlighted.

But to me this isn't a "perfume" per se. It's just an aroma, or an odor, and an inviting one at that. It mixed well with Burning Leaves, but as noted the experience didn't last all that long and I'm not sure I'd wear either/or as a serious frag choice.

The musk one terrified me, so much so that when I moved I left the capless vial in the kitchen cabinet as a gift for the new residents. I think when you pay four hundred thousand dollars for a mediocre townhouse with beige carpeting you are entitled to an unusual welcome gift.

Odysseum, definitely give Wild Hunt a try in sample form. It just *is* the scent of a forest. These scents do NOT have longevity, as others have pointed out in this thread. That's actually really annoying. Surely CB could tweak formulas to come up with something that lasted?

Orion - ha on the gift! Some people seem to really love his musk (I haven't tried it) so who knows, maybe you created a new convert? Or maybe they cursed your name for stinking up their new house? I'd very much like to try the apple scent, too, and it's now moved higher up my list. Regarding the perfume vs odor, that's just not a big deal to me. Sometimes I want to smell of what's in a vial, and sometimes I don't, and it doesn't seem to be wedded in any black and white way to whether or not most would classify the substance as a 'perfume' or as an 'odor'. I like what CB is doing simply because it seems quite rare for someone with his ability to do what he's doing. I say bravo to that because he's already made a couple of scents I've always been looking for in pure, 'non-perfume' form - the forest, burning maple leaves etc for a looong time - longer than I've been into perfume, actually. I enjoy and appreciate these without all the extra stuff that would go into them if they were meant to be marketed as a 'perfume'.

I'm going on but I guess what I'm saying is I agree with you, and I personally very much like what the CB line is aiming for and exploring.
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 1st January 2009 at 08:26 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nasal Passages View Post
    poor longevity is also an issue. loved burning leaves but can't carry the bottle around spritzing all day, had hoped the absolute would be better but. . . same thing... after awhile zip
    Nasal Passages -- Welcome! Love your name. Sounds like a follow-up book by Gail Sheehy.

[QUOTE=LedByMyNose;1396144]Odysseum, definitely give Wild Hunt a try in sample form. It just *is* the scent of a forest. These scents do NOT have longevity, as others have pointed out in this thread. That's actually really annoying. Surely CB could tweak formulas to come up with something that lasted? QUOTE]

Thanks, LBMN, I certainly will keep looking for Wild Hunt. Actually, that scent was was put me onto CB in the first place. My relentless search for forest produced that name. Longevity is not a big deal for me, but accuracy of evocation is! My complaint with what I've tried so far is that I don't really get the promised chords, just variations on a sweet, synthetic theme. I tried Cumming, which Brosius designed, and it seems exactly the same to me.
    Still, hope springs eternal! So I will keep searching.
    Cheers,
    Last edited by odysseusm; 1st January 2009 at 09:07 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I want a full vial of the Wild Hunt so when I get it (I'm not buying new frags right now though, as finances recover from Xmas) you can have my sample vial - it's bigger than normal size, I think. I'm not really concerned with longevity, either. I mean, it's a good thing, but if I love a frag or a scent, and it doesn't last, then hell yes I'm willing to reapply when needed!

I feel a house sampling and review coming on.
    Hold me back, I want to order a couple dozen.

Smile Re: Forest frag = found

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    I want a full vial of the Wild Hunt so when I get it (I'm not buying new frags right now though, as finances recover from Xmas) you can have my sample vial - it's bigger than normal size, I think.
    That's very generous of you! I'll happily take you up on that kind offer. PM me when it suits you & I'll supply the mailing info.
    Merci beaucoup!
    odysseusm