Code of Conduct

Default He says floor wax. (Chinatown) What makes that scent?

Perfumes: The Guide describes Chinatown as smelling like "the exact spot where the smell of floor wax meets the smell of ripe peaches".

Can anyone tell me what's making the floor wax smell? I smell it in Chinatown, and I think I smell it in Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere, and others that I can't bring to mind now. Depending on the context, the smell can make me think of, yes, floor wax, or half-dried paint, or nuts. But I don't know what name to put to it?

Crayfish

Default Re: He says floor wax. (Chinatown) What makes that scent?

It's funny, I think I smell it in Shalimar.

The nutty half-dried paint smell is almond, I think (a synthetic interpretation, though). It is in Dior Hypnotic Poison and SL Datura Noir. Chinatown was overwhelmingly powder on me, but I did smell this sharp almond scent, or something very similar. It was buried in the powder, though.
    Last edited by Asha; 31st December 2008 at 03:57 PM.

There are many brands of floor wax with many different scents. The one they use at my hospital is utterly chemical and horrid. If it smelled like Chinatown or Shalimar I would not have to open the windows. Luca Turin has all the luck with his floor waxes. Darn.

You might be right, Asha. I know my mother got it in her head that Jour de Fête (almond and vanilla) smelled like some sort of hotel cleaning fluid she knew - she may well have meant floorwax.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I was sampling Chinatown this week and thought to myself, 'this smells like a crayola crayon.' I then read the Turin review and saw that he calls it a floor wax note. I think he must be referring to some kind of old fashioned, unscented wax. I don't think he meant Chinatown smells like something industrial, I think he meant it smelled literally, waxy.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 1st January 2009 at 02:54 AM.

I think Chinatown smells nutty. I wonder if it is caused by a specific aromachemical.
    I found this in the 1000 Fragrances blog:

"If you ever wondered what's the smell of pyrazines, those strong Godzilla molecules I described in a previous post, I have a good (bad) example for you.
    There is one product from Danone which was bad formulated in my opinion. In fact, I suppose that they misused the dilution of the pyrazines. Danette - crème nougat is a sweet dessert that should evoke a specific aroma. But when I opened the plastic film in the first seconds I was invaded by the pyrazines (and a specific one), used here for the roasted and nutty smell. But because the dilution is wrong you do not get first the nougat flavor but a pure whiff of naughty pyrazines with their dry and dirty socks accent. In a few seconds they are gone because they are very volatile. Try Danette - Crème Nougat and you will experience pyrazines to drive mad any squirrel."

Has anyone smelled this aromachemical? I think it has become popular among perfumers lately.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 31st December 2008 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    The nutty half-dried paint smell is almond, I think (a synthetic interpretation, though).
    Ah, thank you! It does smell like almonds, though to me it smells more like stale marzipan than a fresh almond smell. I've always been particularly sensitive to staleness in nuts and nut products, and I think it's that association that keeps making me go back and forth on this smell.

As floor wax or paint, the association isn't negative, but it's sort of commercial or industrial, and thus confuses me in certain perfumes that definitely aren't that sort of mood. As stale nuts, the association is not commercial/industrial, but it's, well, ugh, stale nuts! I actually like the smell, stripped of its context, so I need to do some mental editing to make a more pleasant context for it.

(Maybe paint again, Paint, artist's studio, that's perfectly pleasant and can go as old-fashioned as I want. Maybe.)

Crayfish
    Last edited by Crayfish; 31st December 2008 at 11:46 PM.

It's always reminded me of lacquer, and I think it perfectly describes the interior of one of those Chinese antique shops where no one ever seems to buy anything.

I consider it an atmospheric rather than a perfume note.

Blog Entries

I seem to recall Brazil Nuts were mentioned in Chinatown, maybe there are wax formulas that have that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Crayfish View Post
    Ah, thank you! It does smell like almonds, though to me it smells more like stale marzipan than a fresh almond smell. I've always been particularly sensitive to staleness in nuts and nut products, and I think it's that association that keeps making me go back and forth on this smell.
    I have always claimed that Chinatown reminds me of being at a summer carnival after it's been around for a week or so. I never associated it with stale nuts until now! What a revelation! Toss on to that a little sweet something-something... some fake butter with old popcorn... and a blend of a million perfumes that weren't meant to be worn in the same location on a very hot day... and you have the description of what I smell when I smell Chinatown. Now, I love an old carnival, popcorn and sweets so it's one of my favoirites. But the stale nut connection really brought it home for me. Thank you!
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.