Code of Conduct

Default Resolution Ethics - to buy or not to buy?

So the New Year's Resolution perfume budget starts January first. This gives me four and a half hours until midnight. And for that matter, about sixty minutes before i spray on my New Year's Eve perfume, put on my beaded scarf, and get out there, probably not to return before midnight.

So, I'm in an ethical quandary. This perfume budget means that I have to wait a full three months for the next full bottle I buy.

Would you, under these circumstances:

- Follow the spirit of the resolution now and refrain from a last blast of purchases?
    - Promptly go online and order at least one full bottle before the clock strikes twelve?

And, another question:

- Do the resolutions start at midnight or when you wake up on January first?

Decisions, decisions.

Crayfish

Default Re: Resolution Ethics - to buy or not to buy?

They start any time you want on January 1 (as far as I am concerned).

So what did you end up doing, Crayfish? Did you buy, or refrain?

Well, I would have gone online and spent too much before the bell tolled! So what did you do?????

I bought nothing.

This morning I ritually cleared my seldom-empty shopping carts at LuckyScent, Perfumed Court, and Beauty Encounter.

The budget does give me a small "free spending" pittance for samples and such, but not until a specific day near the end of the month. So it's weeks of no fragrance spending whatsoever.

I suspect that within two weeks, I'll be going to the mall just to beg for free samples.

In withdrawal,

Crayfish

A quote for the New Year's quote thread, but it fits here, too.

"I do think New Year's resolutions can't technically be expected to begin on New Year's Day, don't you? Since, because it's an extension of New Year's Eve, smokers are already on a smoking roll and cannot be expected to stop abruptly on the stroke of midnight with so much nicotine in the system. Also dieting on New Year's Day isn't a good idea as you can't eat rationally but really need to be free to consume whatever is necessary, moment by moment, in order to ease your hangover. I think it would be much more sensible if resolutions began generally on January the second." ~ Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones's Diary

Sniff and let sniff.

I started my New Year's resolutions when I woke up today (January 1) I admit I ignored it until about 1:00 am this morning :-)

I'm starting Saturday.

Baahhh humbug

well, I commend you on your resolve.
    I spent New Year's Eve clearing out my attic in a herculean manner and decided that I will not purchase any new articles of clothing (except stockings, they run, or underwear if needed) for this coming year. I was astounded at the amount of things to wear that I own and feel inclined to see how long I can make them last before truly needing to replace them.

As far as perfumes, though, I have my eye on two new bottles at some point in 2009, Carnal Flower and Dans Tes Bras. I'll see how long I can hold out. Maybe one for my birthday, and one for an anniversary of some kind or another!

I rather like the idea of simplifying.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache