Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, January 3, 2009 ★★★ ORIENTALS

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance -or- Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~Orientals Feb. 2007~Animalics March 2007~Chypres April 2007~ Florals May 2007~Fruity June 2007~ Citrus Sept. 2007~Fougere Oct. 2007~ Amber Nov. 2007~Spicy Dec. 2007~ Gourmand Jan. 2008~Orientals Feb. 2008~Animalics March 2008~Chypres April 2008~Floral May 2008~Fruity June 2008~Citrus July 2008~Green Aug. 2008~Fresh/Aquatic Sept. 2008~Opposite Gender or Fougere Oct. 2008 ~ Amber Nov. 2008 ~ Spicy Dec. 2008 ~ Gourmand

For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, January 3, 2009 ★★★ ORIENTALS

Oh man!! My total fayvert!!

Gotta run upstairs and start asking for volunteers...there's Tabu pushing to the front....knocked aside by Habanita and Rumba and Cristobal. The vanillas are hanging back with an air of hauteur....here come Coco and Kingdom.

The Elixir and Eau de Merveilles. Bulgari Black and Alien samples having their say. Brown Sugar and Fig...Bronze Goddess - Flower by Kenzo and Montaigne....the Youth Dews (one's Amber Nude). Old friend Casimir is pouting...ditto Pink Sugar, (new but with a 'tude.)

Everybody wants in...madness!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, January 3, 2009 ★★★ ORIENTALS

OMG - my ancient bottle of Obsession for Men is clamoring for attention it has NOT been getting. Do I dare to go madly retro? Blow-dry my remaining hair into the '80's wind-tunnel look? We'll see. I may just chicken out and go with Dolce and Gabbana the one For Men - technically an oriental (or at least self-described as one). Or should I go further back in time - to the REAL orientals. Ha! They sure don't make 'em like they used to...

Be still my heart.

Well, pff, I have always thought of Byzance as oriental and of Salvador Dali as amber/oriental, but Ozmoz lists both of them in the floral chypre category. Just goes to show... categorisation can be a bit loose!

I love orientals and I have always missed the Orientals' month of SnS. What a good time to start. I have a day planned on that Saturday and was deciding what to wear/spritz (before I saw this SnS) and came up with Yves Saint Laurent M7. That will do!

Ooh - I'm gonna steal a spray of Opium EDT from Mum, and wear Opium pour Homme from my collection as well. Compare and contrast I think!

I may wear Ava Luxe's Madame X. It's quite risque for me, but what the hey....!

Working tomorrow, but what an occasion to dust off an oldie but goodie: Pink Pepper from the Body Shop. Restrained enough for work but highly enjoyable! Loving all the ginger in it.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Mauboussin for me.

Do incense fragrances count as orientals for the sake of Sniff 'n' Speak? ( Just curious, as I noticed we don't have a month for them. )

Usually I've chosen fragrances I already know and love, but this month I think I'll choose Lubin's Idole, a fragrance more or less new to me. ( I rubbed the sample rim on my hand to make sure it doesn't smell unbearable, but that's hardly a proper wearing ). From the notes and the bit I smelled I noticed an oriental fragrance, albeit an unorthodox one.

Ooooh how fun. I'm practicing tonight, and grappling between Samsara, Coco, Shalimar and Habanita. I've got patches of each on me right now, and DH seems to like Samsara best with Coco running a close second. Which to wear...

I found LouLou. I think I've got my choice.
    Last edited by lushsoup; 3rd January 2009 at 05:48 AM.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Is Josephine by Rance an oriental?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    OMG - my ancient bottle of Obsession for Men is clamoring for attention it has NOT been getting. Do I dare to go madly retro?
    Yes! You do dare!
    Last edited by Aiona; 3rd January 2009 at 05:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Shalimar EdP for me, wore it yesterday, too, but added some parfum in the evening. Every time I wear this I marvel at its timeless beauty. One of the Greatest Greats!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

Poivre Rose/Pink Pepper EdP it is! It'll be interesting to wear this one again - I like to think my analysis of fragrance is somewhat more sophisticated than the last time I wore it.
    Ha, talk about setting the bar high for myself.
    Sweet gingery peppery goodness is all my analysis at this point.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Oooh, I wish I was within striking distance of my Opium, because that's the UrOriental for me. However, I can choose between Ambre Sultan, Borneo 1834 and Ambre Narguile. Hmm...

Borneo 1834
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

My choice for the S'n'S is Feminite du bois.Will however post my thoughts later

Will definitely be Astarothing for this event!!

For the first of the sessions on Tai Chi I am conducting for my chiropractor's other patients...

(that's Youth Dew Amber Nude, SMM!!)

...then, as the day progresses, the saucy

and finishing with a flourish...arriba! arriba!!

...the EDP to rullly go out with a bang!!
    (Just luvluvluv these SnS daze!)
    Last edited by TaoLady; 3rd January 2009 at 10:35 AM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Hehehe, Astarothing

Like inees, I'm in FdB. Changed my mind about what to wear for today after the announcement about this scent's return.

I love the cola-opening (less sparkly than Chaos by DK, but there are some similarities). What makes FdB such a winner for me is that it manages to combine notes that can quickly turn me off in other compositions - and handles them so masterfully that it becomes like a mesmerising magic potion. You smell the effect of the cedar note rather than straight-up cedar, the spices blend and light up the scent instead of making it a cloying old spice chest and the synthetic elements provide such a lovely skeletal structure that the whole journey is seamless and without any jarring notes.

Dear Lord...
    I'm agog.
    I've waaaaaaay too many of these, they're a passion !
    I've been amber mad, still reek of Alahine [ which, fortunately, the WHOLE family likes, LOL]

But solidarity comes first ; FdB it is...in the extrait.
    After that, babes, who can say ?
    Habanita?
    Coco extrait ?
    Amber everything ?
    Shalimar ?
    Mauboussin?
    Anouchka ?
    Arabie ?
    Damned if I know......

Kisses to all-

I love S'n'S days, and what better way to start 2009 than with beloved Orientals.

I normally use S'n'S to try something new or long forgotten, testing from my large stash of neglected samples. I did a trial run last night/early hours of today, and tested Par Amour by Clarins. It was not to my taste, being a generic sweet woody/fruity scent that was a bit too high-pitched for me. Notes include pink pepper and blackcurrant, Turkish rose and vanilla, sandalwood and benzoin. Nose is Raphael Naury.

Par Amour could have been anything, its character not being developed enough to give it an identity of its own. I admit to not wearing it for long before going to bed and falling asleep, and probably gave it a run of about an hour before deciding it was not my real S'n'S choice.

I've looked at other Orientals this morning and was tempted by ones I know and love anyway, such as the classic and faultless Opium, Ambre Sultan, Shalimar, Habanita, etc. I also have some small decants such as Rumba and Azuree Soleil that almost persuaded me to spray, but in the end I've decided on one tiny sample that I've been considering as FBW, and I'd like to try it once again for a day on my skin.

So here I am reporting for duty in Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal (now listed on the AG website as Myrrhe Ardente Godron). Notes include myrrh essence, tonka bean and benzoin, myrrh resin, guaiacum wood and vetiver, absolute essence of beeswax.

The first half hour is a sweetness which settles down, thankfully, to a more temperate woody and silky resin, and is quite hypnotic. It is my favourite of the Goutal trio called Les Orientalistes, the others being Ambre Fetiche and Encens Flamboyant. Noses - Isabelle Doyen and Camille Goutal

I will choose another Oriental for tonight, but for today I remain annointed in myrrh.
    Last edited by Sestra; 3rd January 2009 at 11:28 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Scent twins with Tigrushka in Shalimar parfum, the benchmark oriental. My favorite olfactive family, makes up the lion's share of my collection and for me Shalimar remains the queen - all others are pretenders to the throne.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

The most beautiful amber I have.....

Ambre et Diamant Noir

by Ambregris

Top Notes: Bergamot. Tarragon, Lavender, Sage, Neroli
    Middle Notes: Jasmine, Rose, Orris Butter, Orange Blossom, Jonquil, Ylang Ylang
    Base Notes: Coumarin, Benzoin, Vanilla, Musk, Sandal, Patchouli, Oak Moss, Civet, Castoreum, Ambrein

The bottle and the refined, elegant fragrance are both created by Sylvie Jessua, owner of Ambregris
    Seducing in every way......
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Big SMCH for Lushsoup, who has me feeling regale in Shalimar (vintage extrait left wrist, modern edp right wrist)..
    Keeping good company with fellow scent triplets tdem1961 and Tigrushka.

Always the odd duck, Orientals are not my favorite category. I'd normally grab for Boucheron or Mira Bai, but this Shalimar ... c'est trs bon!

Galamb Borong: Incense? Sure. I think it's a warm base of vanilla or amber that pushes a scent into the Oriental realm.

I've been wearing both the Opiums for about 5 hours now, and I thought I'd put my impressions down. (I lost my old perfume notebook - I was very distraught! I've bought a new one. I figure, new year, new book and that'll have to do. )

Opium
    Top: Cinnamom, Pepper, Orange, Pimento
    Heart: Carnation, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang-Ylang
    Base: Vanilla, Benzoin, Patchouli, Opoponax

This is from Mum's bottle that has sat in her cupboard for a good 15 years. She doesn't use it. I think it must remind her of someone. Opium is a real powerhouse. I applied one spray and it certainly projects very well, and this is only the edt... I'd love to experience the extrait!
    Opens with a powdery, sweet cinnamon note. Slightly spicy and exactly as I remember it.
    20 minutes in, the powder is still present on top of what smells to me of rotting petals. Pungent and my brother says "overpowering". I disagree with him. The powder gives way to a warm, almost leathery but not quite, vanilla/jasmine combination.
    Then, I get burned vegetation on top of kola kubes, much like Youth Dew, which moves on to a balsamic, oily, 'thick' note and the powderyness returns. It's incredibly addictive. I think this could work for me.

Opium pour Homme
    Top: Black Currant, Star anise, Mandarin, Lavender
    Heart: Galanga, Geranium, Ginger, Pepper
    Base: Patchouli, Tolu Balsam, Atlas Cedar, Vanilla

I like Opium. I like it a lot, but I don't know if I'm 'mature' enough yet for this one. It smells beyond my years.
    First spray reminds me of bay rum, or maybe Gaultier2. It's boozy and very vannilic. That evaporates quickly, and leaves me with a herbal, aromatic scent that reminds me of Jicky, but nowhere near as animalic.
    There is a slightly peppered, soft ginger note. It's not an abrasive, OTT ginger, like the one used in Dior Homme Sport.
    Driesdown into a soft, sweet cedar and aromatic scent and the lavender is what strikes me most at this stage. This is what smells too grown up about Opium for me. I'll keep Opium for years, and see if I ever feel like I'm mature enough for it.

I think the Opiums are more cousins than brother/sister. They don't seem too closely related.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

YSL Opium pour Homme Edp as SotD and for joining the SnS party. All worm and fuzzy like a Saturday morning in bed late and under the covers.
    Last edited by kbe; 3rd January 2009 at 01:52 PM.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming

Starting the Day in Fendi's Asja

Ambre 114 -- thyme, nutmeg, roses, patchouly, sandalwood, cedar, vetiver, geranium, ambergris, vanilla, tonka beans, musk, benzoin. This is fast becoming my favorite fragrance. It is warm and spicy but it is rather subtle and easy to wear. Perfect for these cooler days of winter.
    Last edited by surreality; 3rd January 2009 at 02:45 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Took inspiration from another thread and so I'm wearing Feminite du Bois today. It's perfect for today's cool weather. Warm, spicy, woody with a touch of fruit.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

It's been so much fun reading the thread and remembering all the scents from this wonderful category--many of which I know and so many more to discover!

I finally decided on an old favorite, from a time when I had a "signature scent:" Scherrer 2.

So many associations from the days when I wore it regularly! My husband was disappointed at first when I stopped wearing it but today he said "Hmmm. It's nice, but not s exciting since you've exposed me to the rest of the perfume world."

A little too pretty and feminine for me these days, but lovely all the same.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 3rd January 2009 at 03:27 PM.