Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, January 3, 2009 ★★★ ORIENTALS

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance -or- Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~Orientals Feb. 2007~AnimalicsMarch 2007~ChypresApril 2007~ FloralsMay 2007~FruityJune 2007~ CitrusSept. 2007~FougereOct. 2007~ AmberNov. 2007~Spicy Dec. 2007~ GourmandJan. 2008~OrientalsFeb. 2008~AnimalicsMarch 2008~ChypresApril 2008~FloralMay 2008~FruityJune 2008~CitrusJuly 2008~GreenAug. 2008~Fresh/AquaticSept. 2008~Opposite Gender or FougereOct. 2008 ~ AmberNov. 2008 ~ SpicyDec. 2008 ~ Gourmand

For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, January 3, 2009 ★★★ ORIENTALS

Oh man!! My total fayvert!!

Gotta run upstairs and start asking for volunteers...there's Tabu pushing to the front....knocked aside by Habanita and Rumba and Cristobal. The vanillas are hanging back with an air of hauteur....here come Coco and Kingdom.

The Elixir and Eau de Merveilles. Bulgari Black and Alien samples having their say. Brown Sugar and Fig...Bronze Goddess - Flower by Kenzo and Montaigne....the Youth Dews (one's Amber Nude). Old friend Casimir is pouting...ditto Pink Sugar, (new but with a 'tude.)

Everybody wants in...madness!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, January 3, 2009 ★★★ ORIENTALS

OMG - my ancient bottle of Obsession for Men is clamoring for attention it has NOT been getting. Do I dare to go madly retro? Blow-dry my remaining hair into the '80's wind-tunnel look? We'll see. I may just chicken out and go with Dolce and Gabbana the one For Men - technically an oriental (or at least self-described as one). Or should I go further back in time - to the REAL orientals. Ha! They sure don't make 'em like they used to...

Be still my heart.

Well, pff, I have always thought of Byzance as oriental and of Salvador Dali as amber/oriental, but Ozmoz lists both of them in the floral chypre category. Just goes to show... categorisation can be a bit loose!

I love orientals and I have always missed the Orientals' month of SnS. What a good time to start. I have a day planned on that Saturday and was deciding what to wear/spritz (before I saw this SnS) and came up with Yves Saint Laurent M7. That will do!

Ooh - I'm gonna steal a spray of Opium EDT from Mum, and wear Opium pour Homme from my collection as well. Compare and contrast I think!

I may wear Ava Luxe's Madame X. It's quite risque for me, but what the hey....!

Working tomorrow, but what an occasion to dust off an oldie but goodie: Pink Pepper from the Body Shop. Restrained enough for work but highly enjoyable! Loving all the ginger in it.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Mauboussin for me.

Do incense fragrances count as orientals for the sake of Sniff 'n' Speak? ( Just curious, as I noticed we don't have a month for them. )

Usually I've chosen fragrances I already know and love, but this month I think I'll choose Lubin's Idole, a fragrance more or less new to me. ( I rubbed the sample rim on my hand to make sure it doesn't smell unbearable, but that's hardly a proper wearing ). From the notes and the bit I smelled I noticed an oriental fragrance, albeit an unorthodox one.

Ooooh how fun. I'm practicing tonight, and grappling between Samsara, Coco, Shalimar and Habanita. I've got patches of each on me right now, and DH seems to like Samsara best with Coco running a close second. Which to wear...

I found LouLou. I think I've got my choice.
    Last edited by lushsoup; 3rd January 2009 at 05:48 AM.

Is Josephine by Rance an oriental?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    OMG - my ancient bottle of Obsession for Men is clamoring for attention it has NOT been getting. Do I dare to go madly retro?
    Yes! You do dare!
    Last edited by Aiona; 3rd January 2009 at 05:28 AM.

Shalimar EdP for me, wore it yesterday, too, but added some parfum in the evening. Every time I wear this I marvel at its timeless beauty. One of the Greatest Greats!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Poivre Rose/Pink Pepper EdP it is! It'll be interesting to wear this one again - I like to think my analysis of fragrance is somewhat more sophisticated than the last time I wore it.
    Ha, talk about setting the bar high for myself.
    Sweet gingery peppery goodness is all my analysis at this point.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Oooh, I wish I was within striking distance of my Opium, because that's the UrOriental for me. However, I can choose between Ambre Sultan, Borneo 1834 and Ambre Narguile. Hmm...

Borneo 1834
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

My choice for the S'n'S is Feminite du bois.Will however post my thoughts later

Will definitely be Astarothing for this event!!

For the first of the sessions on Tai Chi I am conducting for my chiropractor's other patients...

(that's Youth Dew Amber Nude, SMM!!)

...then, as the day progresses, the saucy

and finishing with a flourish...arriba! arriba!!

...the EDP to rullly go out with a bang!!
    (Just luvluvluv these SnS daze!)
    Last edited by TaoLady; 3rd January 2009 at 10:35 AM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Hehehe, Astarothing

Like inees, I'm in FdB. Changed my mind about what to wear for today after the announcement about this scent's return.

I love the cola-opening (less sparkly than Chaos by DK, but there are some similarities). What makes FdB such a winner for me is that it manages to combine notes that can quickly turn me off in other compositions - and handles them so masterfully that it becomes like a mesmerising magic potion. You smell the effect of the cedar note rather than straight-up cedar, the spices blend and light up the scent instead of making it a cloying old spice chest and the synthetic elements provide such a lovely skeletal structure that the whole journey is seamless and without any jarring notes.

Dear Lord...
    I'm agog.
    I've waaaaaaay too many of these, they're a passion !
    I've been amber mad, still reek of Alahine [ which, fortunately, the WHOLE family likes, LOL]

But solidarity comes first ; FdB it is...in the extrait.
    After that, babes, who can say ?
    Habanita?
    Coco extrait ?
    Amber everything ?
    Shalimar ?
    Mauboussin?
    Anouchka ?
    Arabie ?
    Damned if I know......

Kisses to all-

I love S'n'S days, and what better way to start 2009 than with beloved Orientals.

I normally use S'n'S to try something new or long forgotten, testing from my large stash of neglected samples. I did a trial run last night/early hours of today, and tested Par Amour by Clarins. It was not to my taste, being a generic sweet woody/fruity scent that was a bit too high-pitched for me. Notes include pink pepper and blackcurrant, Turkish rose and vanilla, sandalwood and benzoin. Nose is Raphael Naury.

Par Amour could have been anything, its character not being developed enough to give it an identity of its own. I admit to not wearing it for long before going to bed and falling asleep, and probably gave it a run of about an hour before deciding it was not my real S'n'S choice.

I've looked at other Orientals this morning and was tempted by ones I know and love anyway, such as the classic and faultless Opium, Ambre Sultan, Shalimar, Habanita, etc. I also have some small decants such as Rumba and Azuree Soleil that almost persuaded me to spray, but in the end I've decided on one tiny sample that I've been considering as FBW, and I'd like to try it once again for a day on my skin.

So here I am reporting for duty in Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal (now listed on the AG website as Myrrhe Ardente Godron). Notes include myrrh essence, tonka bean and benzoin, myrrh resin, guaiacum wood and vetiver, absolute essence of beeswax.

The first half hour is a sweetness which settles down, thankfully, to a more temperate woody and silky resin, and is quite hypnotic. It is my favourite of the Goutal trio called Les Orientalistes, the others being Ambre Fetiche and Encens Flamboyant. Noses - Isabelle Doyen and Camille Goutal

I will choose another Oriental for tonight, but for today I remain annointed in myrrh.
    Last edited by Sestra; 3rd January 2009 at 11:28 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Scent twins with Tigrushka in Shalimar parfum, the benchmark oriental. My favorite olfactive family, makes up the lion's share of my collection and for me Shalimar remains the queen - all others are pretenders to the throne.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

The most beautiful amber I have.....

Ambre et Diamant Noir

by Ambregris

Top Notes: Bergamot. Tarragon, Lavender, Sage, Neroli
    Middle Notes: Jasmine, Rose, Orris Butter, Orange Blossom, Jonquil, Ylang Ylang
    Base Notes: Coumarin, Benzoin, Vanilla, Musk, Sandal, Patchouli, Oak Moss, Civet, Castoreum, Ambrein

The bottle and the refined, elegant fragrance are both created by Sylvie Jessua, owner of Ambregris
    Seducing in every way......
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Big SMCH for Lushsoup, who has me feeling regale in Shalimar (vintage extrait left wrist, modern edp right wrist)..
    Keeping good company with fellow scent triplets tdem1961 and Tigrushka.

Always the odd duck, Orientals are not my favorite category. I'd normally grab for Boucheron or Mira Bai, but this Shalimar ... c'est trés bon!

Galamb Borong: Incense? Sure. I think it's a warm base of vanilla or amber that pushes a scent into the Oriental realm.

I've been wearing both the Opiums for about 5 hours now, and I thought I'd put my impressions down. (I lost my old perfume notebook - I was very distraught! I've bought a new one. I figure, new year, new book and that'll have to do. )

Opium
    Top: Cinnamom, Pepper, Orange, Pimento
    Heart: Carnation, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang-Ylang
    Base: Vanilla, Benzoin, Patchouli, Opoponax

This is from Mum's bottle that has sat in her cupboard for a good 15 years. She doesn't use it. I think it must remind her of someone. Opium is a real powerhouse. I applied one spray and it certainly projects very well, and this is only the edt... I'd love to experience the extrait!
    Opens with a powdery, sweet cinnamon note. Slightly spicy and exactly as I remember it.
    20 minutes in, the powder is still present on top of what smells to me of rotting petals. Pungent and my brother says "overpowering". I disagree with him. The powder gives way to a warm, almost leathery but not quite, vanilla/jasmine combination.
    Then, I get burned vegetation on top of kola kubes, much like Youth Dew, which moves on to a balsamic, oily, 'thick' note and the powderyness returns. It's incredibly addictive. I think this could work for me.

Opium pour Homme
    Top: Black Currant, Star anise, Mandarin, Lavender
    Heart: Galanga, Geranium, Ginger, Pepper
    Base: Patchouli, Tolu Balsam, Atlas Cedar, Vanilla

I like Opium. I like it a lot, but I don't know if I'm 'mature' enough yet for this one. It smells beyond my years.
    First spray reminds me of bay rum, or maybe Gaultier2. It's boozy and very vannilic. That evaporates quickly, and leaves me with a herbal, aromatic scent that reminds me of Jicky, but nowhere near as animalic.
    There is a slightly peppered, soft ginger note. It's not an abrasive, OTT ginger, like the one used in Dior Homme Sport.
    Driesdown into a soft, sweet cedar and aromatic scent and the lavender is what strikes me most at this stage. This is what smells too grown up about Opium for me. I'll keep Opium for years, and see if I ever feel like I'm mature enough for it.

I think the Opiums are more cousins than brother/sister. They don't seem too closely related.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

YSL Opium pour Homme Edp as SotD and for joining the SnS party. All worm and fuzzy like a Saturday morning in bed late and under the covers.
    Last edited by kbe; 3rd January 2009 at 01:52 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Starting the Day in Fendi's Asja

Ambre 114 -- thyme, nutmeg, roses, patchouly, sandalwood, cedar, vetiver, geranium, ambergris, vanilla, tonka beans, musk, benzoin. This is fast becoming my favorite fragrance. It is warm and spicy but it is rather subtle and easy to wear. Perfect for these cooler days of winter.
    Last edited by surreality; 3rd January 2009 at 02:45 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Took inspiration from another thread and so I'm wearing Feminite du Bois today. It's perfect for today's cool weather. Warm, spicy, woody with a touch of fruit.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

It's been so much fun reading the thread and remembering all the scents from this wonderful category--many of which I know and so many more to discover!

I finally decided on an old favorite, from a time when I had a "signature scent:" Scherrer 2.

So many associations from the days when I wore it regularly! My husband was disappointed at first when I stopped wearing it but today he said "Hmmm. It's nice, but not s exciting since you've exposed me to the rest of the perfume world."

A little too pretty and feminine for me these days, but lovely all the same.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 3rd January 2009 at 03:27 PM.

Riannon--that bottle is absolutely gorgeous!

I'm trying Histoires de Parfums 1804 George Sand today for SnS and I love it. Here are the notes:

Top note : Tahitian gardenia, Corsica peach, Hawaiian Pineapple,
    Heart Note : clove, Indian jasmine, lily of the valley, rose of Morocco,
    Base Note : Sandalwood, patchouli, Benzoin, vanilla, white musk

I swear there is amber and chocolate in here. Just gorgeous so far. Sweet (which I love), not too heavy on the floral, and firmly grounded in patchouli, sandalwood and vanilla. Yummmmmmm. It is yummy, but I don't THINK it's a gourmand. Yummy but not edible. ?? Hugs!

Lizzie_J didn't wear the Madame X after all, but I did.
    My AL samples arrived yesterday. Just in time.

There's a note or a general quality here that I usually shy away from. I guess probably the Jasmine or the civet or the combination of the two. And I'm not sure if I like this or not because of it. But I am definitely intrigued.
    This is like opening a dusty box and taking from it a dress with a beaded fringe worn by a girl with too short hair too red lips who drank too much bathtub gin and did dances that made her momma cry. A dress worn forty years later to a costume party by a girl with hennad hair who had to shout over the loud music though air filled mary jane smoke. A box that's been locked away for forty years and opened again today.
    I've only had it on for about a half hour, but the cardamom is becoming more evident. I'm looking forward to seeing how it dries down.

After an hour and a half it's like spicy flowery tea. Really pretty.
    Last edited by debbborra; 3rd January 2009 at 05:10 PM.

Started off the morning post-shower in KL edt for women by Karl Lagerfeld, with notes of orange, spices, cinnamon, orchid, amber, vanilla, and clove. It starts off soapy-clean and fresh, then dries down spicy, orangy, and remains clean and light throughout its development. One of my favorite notes is orange, so I'm very happy in this today. Later this evening, I'll go for something else - not sure what yet - but this is a lovely fragrance for daytime wear. Sample from Musse.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd January 2009 at 03:35 PM.

I am wearing Fumerie Turque, which, despite its name, is really a rich oriental hiding in a utilitarian SL glass slab.

Oooh, Lizzie, I just received a sample of George Sand. I can't wait to try it, especially after reading your notes on it!

Goinig to Mom and Dads for the last of holiday fun. Going to start the day in Salvador Dali. This scent reminds me of a female version of Old Spice. I really like it. May be FBW.

SOTD:
    Fleurs Oriental by Miller Harris from a decant. I compared it to shalimar at last and it doesn't have the strong bergamot opening that I dislike. I'm not a citrus girl and this includes bergamot. I think Fleurs Oriental is very pretty but I will probably try Shalimar again because it's so much cheaper and I'm not sure how FB worthy Fleurs Oriental is, sometimes I feel I already have so many bottles..only sometimes mind you.

SOTE:
    Shalimar, after putting it on I rubbed my wrists a lot hoping the warmth would get rid of the bergamot quick. I think it worked, or maybe the previous shalimar I tried was shalimark au legere?

This smells a lot better than previous shalimar and I can see the resemblance with fleurs oriental. It smells a bit incensy like the incense of angelique encens from creed, which is not a bad thing imo. BF said it was potpourrie ish.
    Last edited by Lian; 3rd January 2009 at 07:40 PM.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Organza Indécence by Givenchy for Oriental S'n'S
    It is described as an Oriental Woody by Osmoz, here is the notes:
    Top Notes:
    Jacaranda wood, Patchouli
    Middle Notes:
    Cinnamon, Plum
    Base Notes:
    Musk, Amber

I discovered OI (1999 version) by accident a few months ago in a small shop. It is warm and cosy for winter and it is very similar to Arabie but minus the sweetness and the dried fruit peels. It is definately bottle worthy.

bleu autumn haze

I have a lot of orientals to choose from, it's my favorite category by far. I decided to reach waaay back in the back of the perfume cabinet for Gucci Eau de Parfum today.

I'm not exactly sure why I don't wear this more often (a quick search on BN shows I wore it last in November of 2007), although I do think it's too heavy and sultry for work.

notes include:
    topnotes: orris, heliotrope, orange blossom
    heartnotes: cictus, cumin, thyme
    basenotes: patchouli, vanilla, deep musk

This is not as floral as the notes would lead you to believe. The floral notes are more dusky and dark rather than sweet and heady to me. It is more herbal than spicy, almost just a touch masculine. Don't be afraid of the cumin, it's just a light touch, so no BO notes here. Although cumin usually plays very nicely on my skin and doesn't leave that dreaded BO note that some get. There is something slightly medicinal here too, is it the patchouli? Whatever it is, it keeps the vanilla from getting too sweet. The undercurrent of musk keeps everything grounded and close to the skin. I would say the sillage is low, the lasting power is moderate.

I love the bottle, it's SO serious! It doesn't really hint at the sexiness inside.
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 5th January 2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: removed image
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    OMG - my ancient bottle of Obsession for Men is clamoring for attention it has NOT been getting. Do I dare to go madly retro?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    Yes! You do dare!
    I did it! And I'm loving every minute. I'm getting all sorts of notes I'd forgotten about. Good call, Aiona!

MM, I love a bit of Obsession for Men. Prefer it to the female variety in fact. I bought a bottle for my husband a couple of years ago, but he doesn't wear it that often. Must get him to put some on today in honour of S&S

I just sniffed the Opium again and I have had a revelation: incense. I never noticed it before, even though Oppoponax and Benzoin are in the notes... yum. I might swipe Mum's bottle.

Decided on Gucci Eau de Parfum today. Notes from the review at The Scented Salamander:
    Top - orris, heliotrope, orange blossom, vanilla absolute
    Middle - cistus, cumin, thyme
    Base - patchouli, vanilla, deep musk

The opening is truly gorgeous. Orange blossom deepened by vanilla; orris and heliotrope definitely present. I love heliotrope, and cistus (labdanum) is one of my favorite notes so I'm not surprised I loved this scent at first sniff. The thyme keeps things from getting too sweet. This fragrance is so luxurious and sensuous it makes me think of what it must feel like to wear the softest of furs against the warmest of skin.
    The Scented Salamander gives a perfect description of Gucci Eau de Parfum if you care to trek over there. This isn't a cop-out or lazines, I just don't want to copy someones writing - it really is my exact take on it! I would attach a link if I knew how.

I'm SO glad I've held onto this bottle. I don't wear it often, as I haven't quite been ready for it, but this is definitely going to get more wear from now on.

Edit: Hey, shadesofbleu, scent twin! When I finally saved my post (distractions) I was so glad to see your notes on this.
    Last edited by turquoisewater; 3rd January 2009 at 06:41 PM.

Hmmm ... I don't have a whole load of orientals. But I was ready to rise to the occasion today!

So, I began the day in a smidgin of Le Labo's Patchouli 24 (thanks, Ubu! ), which LT and TS list as one of their top 10 orientals. Well, this little beauty was right up my street -- though, personally, I'd have this down as *one hell of a* leather, with a touch of clove. So, I'd sooner have worn this for a Spicy S'n'S.

A little while later, I found myself mooching through Debenhams, where I siezed on a bottle of Cinnabar, and promptly proceeded to cover myself in it ... mucho mistake.

I now smell like a kind of fusty Opium-cum-Cola-Cola confection. YUCKERS!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Cartier Le Basir du Dragon for today's SnS.

My nose is kinda wonky today (no idea WHAT is going on with the sinuses). Still - here's what I'm picking up:

- Top - a lovely orange tinged amber.
    - Heart - the amber turns herbal
    - Base - flowers, vanilla and amber

Understand, I am wearing this as sparingly as the little sprayer would let me. (1/4 spritz on 1 arm, 1/4 spritz on the chest). This is a scent where discretion is the better part of valor. Big mistake to do full sprays of this thing. Worn sparingly, this is quite lovely.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

For Sniff ‘n’ Speak Oriental, I am wearing Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech & Speake.

I have very few full blown orientals and this is one of the best.

Top notes: Lemon, Orange, Basil, Clary Sage
    Middle notes: Chamomile, Myrrh, Pimento Leaf
    Base notes: Sandalwood, Incense, Lavender, Cedar
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

After Celebuscent Saturday and my wearing of Elizabeth Taylor Passion for Men and being reminded how much I still liked it I made a resolution about SnS Saturdays for 2009. I'm going to use these days as an excuse to re-visit the original staples of my much smaller wardrobe pre-Basenotes. I'm going to see how much my tastes and nose have changed, or not, in my exposure to all the new scents I've tried in this last year or so.
    For SnS Saturday-Oriental I start with a double-header as I wore two orientals a lot pre-BN.
    My SotM was Yves St. Laurent Opium pour Homme.
    I used to love wearing this out to bars and clubs in the 90's and it was very often my preferred scent for those nights.
    What I loved about it was the spicy and sweet mix that was like nothing else I owned at the time. The pepper note in the heart was always a favorite and once it would settle into the vanilla and cedar at the base it would be the olfactory soundtrack to the end of a fun-filled evening.
    This morning when I sprayed it on what Basenotes has helped with is my appreciation of the top of this fragrance. I don't remeber ever noticing the currant, at the top, cut ever so slightly by the anise. Now as when I've worn this earlier in the year these notes blossom right away and then fade into the spicy, hot heart of this that I still enjoy. I remember the base being more vanilla laden in my younger days but lately it is the cedar that dominates with the vanilla playing a supporting role and thus making it less sweet than I remembered or am I becoming a more sophisticated wearer? Either way this scent is still a favorite and while I have come to discover others with this spicy heart I like more (Ormonde Jayne Man, Patour pour Homme) this will be a baseline scent for me.

SotE Calvin Klein Obsession for Men
    If Opium was my party scent Obsession was my date scent. When this came out in the mid 80's I had become bored with both of my staples to that point Aramis and Ralph Lauren Polo. I remember going into my local Macy's to buy clothes and getting a whiff of this amazingly different scent coming from the nearby fragrance counter. When I walked over and the SA sprayed some on me although I didn't know what to call it at the time I had my first bout of the Basenotes Salute as my wrist kept returning to my nose over the entire rest of the day. I was back the next day buying the whole darn line: soap, body wash, deodorant, A/S, and EDT. I couldn't get enough of it for the next six months. What attracted me then was it was so different from the powerhouses of the 70's. The much softer spices in the middle of this which led to the amber/musk/sandalwood base which was what I thought smelled amazing on me and I thought was so nice on date night.
    Today, as with Opium PH, I once again took more notice of the top notes as the bergamot and citrus top, which has become so prevalent in today's fragrances, leads perfectly into the softer spicy heart which makes this scent so enjoyable for me. The combination of nutmeg, sage, and coriander combine with lavender to give this a satiny soft heart. The base is the nicely balanced mix of musk, amber and sandalwood I recall. I think I notice the amber more these days because this is one of the notes I have grown to truly enjoy this last year. I am almost surprised to be reminded how nicely it fits in with the other notes in the base without dominating.

I have to say that I am quite pleasantly surprised at how well both of these scents still hold up for me. I may constantly be searching the horizon for the next great thing but the old stand-bys still have the power to remind me why I liked them in the first place.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Hello all! Saffron James PUNONO is the only oriental-style fragrance I packed for vacation, so I am wearing it again today. It's an unusual warm and spicy floral blend that was designed to approximate the smell of the Puakenikeni flower, a favorite choice for lei-making in the islands. Here's a photo:

The listed notes are Ylang Ylang, Pikake, Carnation, Vanilla, and Tunisian Opium. It is heady and sexy, and not my everyday style at all. I do love it, though!

The first fragrance of the day was SMN's Tobacco Toscano ( this also happens to be my first time wearing it, too ).

Interestingly I don't get a lot of tobacco from this. What I smelled was vanilla paired with a note that reminded me of rubber more than anything else, though the fragrance was far more pleasant than that combination sounds!

The effect is quite synthetic and linear, but not in a bad way ( Nostalgia did the same thing, albeit in a more interesting and Avante Garde fashion ). If this is tobacco, this is smelling a box of vanilla-flavored cigarettes with the cellophane wrapper still on.

Comparing it to the tobacco fragrances I know, it's a totally different from the tinned tobacco note in Fougere Bengale and Kretek, and fortunately not at all the chlorinated smell that develops in Vintage Tabarome.

Sillage is good; longevity is moderate to low - it lasts about six hours on me.

Now onto Idole...

Samsara edp for me, one of the last of the eighties 'big hitters'. I usually try to avoid scents when they are really popular so maybe that's why it has taken me so long to try Samsara properly. Then there's the fact that I was always frightened off by the topnotes before! Samsara smells expensive and totally luxe while still having a bit of an attitude and an 'edge' to it. Maybe doesn't seem as exotic now as it would have done in '89 but it is still a knockout perfume and I can't wait to get myself a bottle! In hindsight I guess it was the perfect scent to see out the decadent, OTT, but ultimately fun (for me anyway) eighties. Notes according to Ozmoz are: Top - Bergamot, Lemon, Green Tea, Tarragon. Heart - Jasmine, Rose, Ylang Ylang, Carnation. Base - Sandal, Vanilla, Benzoin, Tonka. Is it the carnation which gives Samsara its spicy warmth?

Must de Cartier by Cartier

(women's version)

Lemon cream. Vanilla musk. Love.

After gym, I reverted to Alahine and Tann Rokka'a Aki- which,, despite The Guide's slur, is an unctuous amber- very honeyed with patchouli.

It's best worn WITHOUT the sprayer- just dab it alone, or over the Alahine, and you smell like the 1001 Nights, no lie.
    NOT for the shy.

After wearing a non-oriental from the orient in the morning (Amouage Dia), I shifted to an Italian oriental tonight - Mazzolari Lui. With Musc Ravageur it is the "sexiest" perfume in my 'drobe - rich patchouli, leathery spice, a bit of stable and massive musk, though without any obvious civety dirt. They really should be selling it in 15ml bottles rather than those 100ml canisters - three lifetime supplies considering 1 spray is all you need.

The notes:
    citrus
    Indonesian patchouli
    Texas cedar
    sandalwood
    vetiver
    spices
    florals
    amber
    musk
    leather

And here's the review I just posted:
    This is one elegant werewolf of a scent. I can only add my praise to what vibert, foetidus, and joe_frances have described in such vivid detail - and even the ad copy gets it right on this one, when it speaks of savagery robed in refinement. There is that rich purple brocade of mature patchouli on the verge of decaying decadence, the smell of polished leather saddle with sweet stable aromas in the back and there is a musky sledgehammer which I find could have been toned down just a bit, as its syntheticness can overwhelm the bountiful naturals here, which have been so ably amplified, and which rudely pushes aside the spicy and floral complements that round this composition off so well. Thankfully this effect is more noticeable on paper than on skin, where the musk blends in better and Lui works true wonders. Slip into your bespoke tuxedo, lead the pack, howl at the moon and fascinate the ladies.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Wore a touch of Ferre 20 in the morning. More of a floriental than a straight oriental, but the sandalwood and vanilla in the base definitely give it an oriental feel. Switched over to TF Amber Absolute later in the day. Cheating perhaps, since we have an amber month at some point, but it counts doesn't it? Think I'll do something different for the evening. All of this Shalimar talk is tempting me. I have a ml of vintage parfum around here somewhere, if I can only find it.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

Sorry, this won't add anything to the conversation - but I must say: SMM, what a great post!

I've been thinking about some of my pre-Basenotes, pre-collecting scents too (I can't say pre-perfume obsession because I think that started as soon as I discovered perfumes, period, although it has reached new levels in the last couple of years).

Well, about to go off to bed and time to post my conclusions on Pink Pepper. I still love it.
    It has little complexity/development, and the longevity is quite poor, worse than I remembered. (It was actually outlived by yesterday's Profvmvm Dambrosia, which admittedly has become quite obnoxious with its monstruous longevity) The flacon says it's an EDP, but I would have pegged it an EDT if I had to guess.
    Syrupy ginger is very apparent in the top, lending the fragrance a slightly sharp edge along with the pepper. The promised sandalwood and amber aren't prominent for me, but the sharpish ginger does fade into a more mellow spicy concoction that nevertheless stays bright throughout. A sunny yellow oriental without a discernable floral element.

Notes found: Top - Mandarin Flower, Nutmeg, Ginger, and Freesia. Heart -Pink Pepper, Cardamom, Pimento, and Jasmine Petal. Base -Amber, Vanilla Bean, Cedar, and Tonka Bean. (Different from the notes mentioned on my bottle: pink pepper, ginger, cardamom, amber, sandalwood, tonka)

Douglas Adams

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Switched to Chanel Égoïste as SotE and still keeping in the Oriental SnS mode. Wearing this can be compared to the endorphin inducing embrace of someone very special.

Top Notes
    Sicilian Tangerine, Brazilian Rosewood..

Middle Notes
    Coriander, Damask Rose.

Base Notes
    Sandalwood, Vanilla, Ambrette seed.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Must de Cartier. The opening is much greener than I recall from the last time I wore it. It is really lovely!

OK.
    I'm anm amberslut today.
    Just fished out my Anne Pliska parfum....AH.

You, know, it feels as if there's immortelle in here- really.
    Just a dab.
    A gorgeous thing- with bergamot, a bit of geranium, lots of musk, resins, patchouli.
    I need to wear it much more often.

I am wearing Cinema by Yves Saint Laurent today.
    Ahhh, too many perfumes to choose from. But I bought this one yesterday (a Marshall's bargain impulse buy)
    According to ozMoz it is an Oriental-Floral and the notes are:
    Top notes: Clementine, Almond Blossom, Cyclamen
    Heart notes: Amaryllis, Sambac Jasmine, Peony
    Base notes: Amber, White Musks, French Vanilla, Benzoin

It starts very sweet, but it calms down after a while. It is very femenine and I would not have guessed it is an Oriental, because the Almond Blossom and the Jasmine dominate. The base is very soft, unlike other perfumes with similar notes on the base.

Originally I was going to wear Serge Noire, one of the most controversial issues of 2008. Maybe I will make that my SotE.