Code of Conduct

Default My 2009 Fragrance "Resolution": keeping a log

For 2009, I have decided to get a better clue of how often I am using my bottles and minis.

I will keep a simple spreadsheet of my uses, so I get a better clue of how much I really do use everything I have. I won't be doing that with samples, just things I have decided are worth owning.

Perhaps it will cause me to reassess what I keep, perhaps it will affect my choices of what to use.

Anyway, it is a simple experiment that will give me a little entertainment.

Perhaps someone else out there will join me in this and we can all report our results a year from now!

Default Re: My 2009 Fragrance "Resolution": keeping a log

You're on! Although I have to warn you that my record of holding to NY resolutions is not good; not good at all.
    Actually, I've been wanting to start a log, or more precisely, a notebook, to record my impressions of fragrances. I long ago realized that my memory isn't good enough to critically evaluate a fragrance in the context of other similar fragrances. Perhaps notes will help...
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Not a bad idea. My records will be in the form of a review here on Basenotes -eventually for every full bottle I own. I too have been reassessing my collection and have decided to shave off bottles of fragrances that I just don't reach for. They're all great scents, but I think I'm better off keeping a more 'practical' collection.
    I forked out too much bread in 2008. 2009 will be for appreciating what I've accumulated over the past 4 or 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    You're on! Although I have to warn you that my record of holding to NY resolutions is not good; not good at all.
    Actually, I've been wanting to start a log, or more precisely, a notebook, to record my impressions of fragrances. I long ago realized that my memory isn't good enough to critically evaluate a fragrance in the context of other similar fragrances. Perhaps notes will help...
    For the things I am testing and trying I (usually) write impressions down, otherwise I will not remember them. It is a good way to bring back recollections and save the trouble of revisiting fragrances that were total duds (of course, revisiting can be a great thing, as our taste matures...)

Blog Entries

Good idea. I will try to put togeather records of purchase, quantities in stock (approximate), Impressions of the fragrance and flag those that need a backup.

I keep a list of fragrances in my wardrobe and each time I apply one I put mark next to its name on the list. I try to choose fragrances that I haven't been wearing as much as the others. It helps me rotate among them and not get tired of my favorites too quickly.

I keep a database that records the basic fragrance information and temperature/weather details. It also includes the number of sprays,sillage and longevity. By doing this I have been able to adapt the number of sprays to the right social occasions and I seem to get better balances.

I am starting my list. I already have a "word" document where I record my impressions and the list of notes. I just started a spreadsheet a few days ago, where I will record what I wear every day. I don't want to ignore fragrances that are stashed in a different closet.

I already use a spreadsheet for listing fragrances I've sampled, the notes they contain, list, my impressions, and a personal star rating. I need to go back and add the perfumers' names, though, because I want to learn more about their styles in the context of my tastes.

A friend gave me a beautiful hardbound 2009 calendar, and I wasn't sure what to do with it, as I maintain an electronic work and engagement calendar. But now you've given me a great idea for its use! I think I'll list the weather conditions for each day along with my fragrance choice (or choices, if I switch to a SotE!), and any comments. Should be fun and instructive - thanks for the ideas!

I wanted to report back on this subject after one month.

First and most important: I have followed through! I am keeping a log!

Instead of being burdensome, I have found this to be a positive and helpful exercise.

So far this year, I have worn 16 different fragrances from my collection (sample testing not included, as I originally proposed). They are (in order of frequency):

5 times - Acqua di Parma Colonia
    3 times - Creed Feuille Verte, Miller Harris Citron Citron, Montale Aoud Damascus
    2 times - Musc Ravageur, Tea for Two
    1 time - Mark Birley, John Varvatos, Penhaligons - Blenheim Bouquet and Endymion, Creed - Royal Scottish Lavender, Cypres-Musc and Millesime Imperial, Hermes - Rocabar and Eau d'Orange Verte and finally Geir.

What didn't I wear at all? Rochas Man, Britto, Creed Erolfa, Bois du Portugal, Silver Mountain Water and Citrus Bigarrade, Everlast 1910 and a few other things that escape my mind.

Did keeping a log affect my choices? Yes and no. It did not affect my day to day choice, but I felt a greater interest in diversity, in seeing a larger representation make it to the list. Probably in a typical month before, no more than 8 or 9 fragrances would have been worn. I think also I tested less in January than most months (3 or 4 days vs. 10 or so days typically). At any rate, while I expect to continue the log for the year, I expect I will testing samples more in coming months.

Anyway, this has been fun for me so far. It is nice to get a concrete summary of what I wear, rather than a ballpark guess!

Default Re: My 2009 Fragrance "Resolution": keeping a log (update: the results!)

Okay, time for a follow up: I kept my 2009 resolution! Here is a summary of what I wore in 2009 and a few brief thoughts on each one. I did not log things I was testing, just stuff in my permanent wardrobe.
    It was an awesome exercise! It was great to get a firm grasp on what I was wearing, beyond a vague sense that I wore “fragrance x” more than “fragrance y”.

I will repeat in 2010 for sure! Hope some of you join me!

And sorry for the long post!

(1) Acqua di Parma Colonia - 46 wearings. My favorite EDC. Bright citrus, wonderful herbs and a rose heart.
    (2) Guerlain Eau de Cologne du Coq – 27 wearings. I bought this in May and it has given AdP’s Colonia some healthy competition for when I reach for an EDC. I reach for it when I want something a little lighter than AdP Colonia (and distinctly different).
    (3) L’Artisan Tea for Two – 23 wearings. Infrequently my scent of the day, this is a bedtime favorite, as I love the smoky tea topnotes and find them to comforting.
    (4) Creed Erolfa – 22 wearings. This used to be a summer favorite of mine. It seems to have lost some of its sparkle. Somehow it has become a comfort scent to me.
    (5) Creed Feuille Verte – 22 wearings. My favorite green scent, period.
    (6) Creed Millesime Imperial – 19 wearings. Once a favorite, it has lost its sparkle.
    (7) Miller Harris Tangerine Vert – 17 wearings. Structured like Hermes’ Eau d’Orange Verte, but with superior longevity.
    (8) Miller Harris Citron Citron – 15 wearings. I usually like my citrus scents to have a measure of boldness. This one isn’t. Somehow it meets a need.
    (9) Creed Vetiver – 15 wearings. Not a heavy vetiver scent, but an elegant blend with ginger. I find it to be refreshing.
    (10) Mark Birley – 14 wearings. A classy masculine. Great use of the carrot seed note. Must not be overapplied.
    (11) Hermes Rocabar – 13 wearings. If the year were 2004, it would have been near 200 wearings. It will be loved forever; to me a classy, sexy masculine.
    (12) Montale Aoud Damascus – 11 wearings. My favorite rose scent, bright, without mustiness.
    (13) Penhaligon’s Blenheim Bouquet – 9 wearings. Sometimes this austere citrus and pine blend captures my mood. Great for when I am compelled to see my ex.
    (14) Penhaligon’s Endymion – 9 wearings. More often for bedtime than day wear. I like how it presents the coffee note.
    (15) Creed Citrus Bigarrade – 8 wearings. Wonderful tart, juicy citrus on top. The drydown is a bit of a disappointment to me. Looking for alternatives here.
    (16) Editions de Parfumes (Frederick Malle) Musc Ravageur – 8 wearings. I like this, but sometimes it feels a bit crude on me. Lots of cinnamon, clove and vanilla.
    (17) Montale Royal Aoud – 8 wearings. I like this more than I wear it. I need to reach for it more.
    (18) Creed Bois du Portugal – 7 wearings. Love the drydown; a bit heavy on top.
    (19) John Varvatos – 6 wearings. Not sure why I don’t reach for this more often.
    (20) Diptyque Tam Dao – 6 wearings. A September acquisition, I like it a good deal. I think it has layering potential as well.
    (21) Hermes’ Eau d’Orange Verte – 5 wearings. I love it, but do want my citrus top notes to give me more. So I won’t be reaching for this often.
    (22) Lagerfeld Classic – 5 wearings. Every now and then it feels just right. A 1 ounce bottle is perfect.
    (23) Geir – 5 wearings. I upgraded from a mini to a bottle. I find the topnotes especially exhilarating. Important not to apply too much.
    (24) Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax – 5 wearings. A November purchase, I really like its richness and warmth. A good value.
    (25) Creed Royal Scottish Lavender – 4 wearings. A calming scent.
    (26) Creed Cypres-Musc – 4 wearings. I love this bold cypress musky scent. I don’t reach for it often, but would never give it up.
    (27) Britto Man – 3 wearings. This may be on its way out. Not sure if I like it anymore.
    (28) Rochas Man – 3 wearings. I use to love this. I don’t think I am quite as fond of certain gourmands and this one surprisingly fell out of favor. No longer in my wardrobe.
    (29) Creed Silver Mountain Water – 2 wearings. Almost certainly on its way out of my wardbrobe.
    (30) Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan – 2 wearings. I have a mini of this. I like its complexity and I may upgrade to a full bottle.
    (31) Viktor & Rolf Antidote – 2 wearings. I have a mini of this as well. I think I like this better on my son than myself. I won’t reach for it often, to be sure.
    (32) Everlast 1910 – 1 wearing. I like this more than I reach for it. Shame on me.
    (33) Hermes Terre d’Hermes – 1 wearing. It didn’t work for me anymore. My son has it now.
    (34) Rochas Eau de Rochas – 1 wearing. I wore this the day I bought it in August. I enjoyed it, but haven’t reached for it since. I need to give it more opportunities.
    (35) U by Ungaro – 1 wearing. I don’t think it is bad, but a bit too young for me. Smells great on my son, and it is now his.
    (36) Histoires de Parfums 1828 – 1 wearing. I acquired a bottle in December and the total would be higher if I included what I was wearing from samples before then. At any rate, it is more complimented than any scent I own. And I like it too. I will get more use of it in 2010, I trust.

Wow, way to keep up with your intial promisie scentsitivity ! I too had kept a notebook ( over the last 16 months or so). I also have been keeping track of my # of wearings ( just too lazy to tally them up at the moment). All in all, I was personally surprised my lack of wearing of certain fragrances that I thought I really liked ( ie Mugler Cologne). Most likely because it is so damn cold where I am, I always want to wear an oriental or thicker fragrance.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Blog Entries

I've been keeping mine since August. My humble wardrobe is much smaller than many around here, but here's the results (Fragrance - # of times worn - thoughts):

Bvlgari Aqva - 33 - My favorite, no surprise I wore it the most.

Gendarme - 26 - This became a necessity when I had several weeks of sinus trouble. Everything else made my symptoms worse. I love it, and will probably always have it in my wardrobe.

D&G Light Blue - 18 - Wore it a lot at the end of summer. I still like it, but wear it less now that I've added to my wardrobe.

Versace Pour Homme - 14 - Picked this one up in October, and it quickly became one of my favorites. I expect to wear it a lot more in 2010.

Acqua di Gio - 12 - Like D&G Light Blue, wore it quite a bit at the end of summer. Still like it, however VPH is similar but better. I usually reach for it now instead.

Bvlgari Pour Homme - 10 - Got this in Oct with VPH. I was wearing it a lot until I got Gendarme. I still like it for that fresh, clean smell. Many will disagree, but I think Gendarme does this better.

L'eau Par Kenzo - 7 - My latest love. Got a decant of this from a kind fellow Basenoter, and wasn't sure it was bottle-worthy. But the more I wear it, the more I like it. I just bought a small bottle.

Izod - 5 - I can't figure this one out. There are times I really like it, and other times I don't. As a result I don't reach for it often.

Nautica Blue - 4 - I went through a small bottle of this, and bought a bigger one earlier this year when I got into fragrances heavy. I loved it until I oversprayed one day and my wife told me I smelled like burnt pancakes. I haven't worn it since.

Cool Water - 2 - This one is my surprise. I wore it almost exclusively in college, and bought it mostly for nostalgia purposes. It's not as sharp/crisp/bright as I remember it (likely reformulation), but I still love it. A lot more than 2 wearings in the last 4 months.

CK Eternity - 2 - Another one I got a mini of for nostalgia purposes. Unlike CW I don't like this one as much as I used to.

Hugo - 2 - I have no idea why I ever liked this stuff. I bought it based on top notes early in my fragrance journey. I wore it a few weeks ago for what is probably the last time.

Hugo XY - 2 - I got this as a mini (sample) from a nice SA. It's a little better than the regular Hugo, but I still don't reach for it much. It's a good size to take with me on trips.

Nautica White Sail - 2 - This is the one that got me seriously started into fragrances at the end of '08. I will always have a soft spot for it. I haven't reached for it much because it tended to get cloying in the summer. I wore it again recently, and really enjoyed it.

Blog Entries

Nice to see I'm not the only person who's done this. This year, I resolve to keep my fragrance calendar up. I have one on the web, so I can update it anywhere, anytime. But I started forgetting about it. In retrospect, it's actually helpful for reviewing, remembering notes, etc.

Yes, this is a resolution I can go for.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Nice to see I'm not the only person who's done this. This year, I resolve to keep my fragrance calendar up. I have one on the web, so I can update it anywhere, anytime. But I started forgetting about it. In retrospect, it's actually helpful for reviewing, remembering notes, etc.

Yes, this is a resolution I can go for.
    I do the same thing RP. I keep them on a Google Calendar, and transfer them to a spreadsheet once a month.

I've also noticed that several of the women keep track of theirs, and post the results on a regular basis on the Female board. I've always been curious if any of the guys do it.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 2nd January 2010 at 03:02 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: My 2009 Fragrance "Resolution": keeping a log (update: the results!)

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    (29) Creed Silver Mountain Water – 2 wearings. Almost certainly on its way out of my wardbrobe.
    I'm sure there are plenty around here that will be glad to take it off your hands.