Code of Conduct

Default Help in choosing a fragrance? (dark, woody)

Hi all, i'm quite a new face here. Such an interesting forum, and people, and very informative, sadly i have had little or no time to visit here... I'm trying to correct that.

I would like to ask help in adding some fragrance, maybe two into my wardrobe.
    Lately i've been into the dark woody scents especially. I've been adding just recently Azzaro Visit and Gucci Pour Homme into my wardrobe, and liking both of them much. (Thanks for all information i have received from you people here, from reviews and forum posts, they pointed me into right direction.)

I'd like to add one or two more fragrances, that should be:
    -woody, smoky, dark type, (maybe contain incense, vetiver, spicies, not necessarily though)
    -"mysterious", heavy, the scent should be noticed by others, with moderate or great sillage (i've been reading the threads "Dark scents" and "what would count Dracula wear", heh
    -lately i've been keen on incense note especially

I've been already considered myself CDG's 2 Man, Encre Noir, Black Aoud (not tested any of those though yet, but based on what been reading here). One of my long-time favourites, unless my biggest fav is Cartier Declaration. Not sure how long though, after i have got my Gucci PH and Azzaro Visit. The link to my wardrobe shows what else i have currently.

I have mostly tried and mainstream fragrances so far and i have no experience about rose and vetiver fragrancies. The scent i'm after don't have to be polite or beautiful necessarily (i've been ordering a Quorum for me it's on its way already), so it can and should be quite heavy and strong. Money is also one limit, i would like to choose some with reasonable price tag ( thats preferably not over 60-70 /USD/GPB per scent for me)

I'm very thankful of your possible input... Thanks for reading!

Default Re: Help in choosing a fragrance? (dark, woody)

if smokey and dark is what you are looking for, I suggest Serge Luten's Arabie. The top notes might put you off, but let it develop and the drydown will be rich, deep and smokey with a hell lot of character and class. Do try it on your skin before making a decision though. Arabie has a leather note in it and leather notes come across as being overtly bitter and medicinal on paper.

From what you've said you definitely need to check out these:
    MPG Eau des Iles - unroasted coffee and spices.
    MPG Parfum d'Habit - earthy and woodsy.
    MPG Route de Vetiver - earthy vetiver
    Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver - very dark dense vetiver with immortale and a hint of smoke.
    Olivier Durbano Black Tourmaline - the smell of a church burned to the ground.

These are all at the top-end of your price request, but from what you've said, I think you at least need to sample these!

Thanks ccck for your input. It's appreciated. I read about this one.. sorry, I forgot to say that i'm not specially into sweet and fruity -type fragrances...nor gourmand but dry.

I'd like to try some of the rose or vetiver -category, perhaps. If there is any "dry" fragrances among those.

Edit: Thanks Tonyprince for your suggestions. I will read about these right away.
    Last edited by df91; 1st January 2009 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    Thanks ccck for your input. It's appreciated. I read about this one.. sorry, I forgot to say that i'm not specially into sweet and fruity -type fragrances...nor gourmand but dry.

I'd like to try some of the rose or vetiver -category, perhaps. If there is any "dry" fragrances among those.
    Given what you just said about roses, I would add Dominico Caraceni to the list. I'm not into fruity and sweet frags either. You'll find nothing fruity and sweet in the list I gave you!
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 1st January 2009 at 03:40 PM.

Dark + incenseish + 35/50ml: Avignon(Comme des Garcons)

Dark + woody + 85/100ml: Bois d'Ombrie (Eau d'Italie)

Dark + Herbal-patchouli + 120/100ml: Coz (Parfumerie Generale) MY FAVORITE.

Serge Luten's Chene -- It has some sweetness in the beginning, but after it dries its all about dark, intense wood notes. One of the best wood scents out there IMO.
    Last edited by ajmc; 1st January 2009 at 05:09 PM.

If you would like to try some dark roses, how about:

Czech and Speake No. 88 -Rose, wood, incense, and very dark
    Czech and Speake Cuba -More tabacco than wood
    Last edited by The Duke; 1st January 2009 at 07:07 PM.

Van Cleef and Arpels pour homme....Very dark, complex and deep....with good sillage, give it a try frist.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentr d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zino Davidoff, hands down--give it a try!

Santos de Cartier, Esencia Loewe, Trussardi Uomo (kind of), Fahrenheit

dofa ... if your liking Visit & Gucci very much try >> Tumulte !
    read up as some of those mentioned above are not very woody !

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    Hi all, i'm quite a new face here. Such an interesting forum, and people, and very informative, sadly i have had little or no time to visit here... I'm trying to correct that.

I would like to ask help in adding some fragrance, maybe two into my wardrobe.
    Lately i've been into the dark woody scents especially. I've been adding just recently Azzaro Visit and Gucci Pour Homme into my wardrobe, and liking both of them much. (Thanks for all information i have received from you people here, from reviews and forum posts, they pointed me into right direction.)

I'd like to add one or two more fragrances, that should be:
    -woody, smoky, dark type, (maybe contain incense, vetiver, spicies, not necessarily though)
    -"mysterious", heavy, the scent should be noticed by others, with moderate or great sillage (i've been reading the threads "Dark scents" and "what would count Dracula wear", heh
    -lately i've been keen on incense note especially

I've been already considered myself CDG's 2 Man, Encre Noir, Black Aoud (not tested any of those though yet, but based on what been reading here). One of my long-time favourites, unless my biggest fav is Cartier Declaration. Not sure how long though, after i have got my Gucci PH and Azzaro Visit. The link to my wardrobe shows what else i have currently.

I have mostly tried and mainstream fragrances so far and i have no experience about rose and vetiver fragrancies. The scent i'm after don't have to be polite or beautiful necessarily (i've been ordering a Quorum for me it's on its way already), so it can and should be quite heavy and strong. Money is also one limit, i would like to choose some with reasonable price tag ( thats preferably not over 60-70 €/USD/GPB per scent for me)

I'm very thankful of your possible input... Thanks for reading!
    df91: firstly, welcome to basenotes! and secondly, i must commend you on such a fine taste for scents. and yes, you nailed it with Visit and Gucci. they are indeed lovely woody scents. Visit dare i add, a very interesting scent. if you likes Visit, then you must try the YSL M7, you would fine certain similarities between the two scents, but i'd say M7 is way ahead. it;s s massive woody scent with Oudh combination. definitely dark and woody.

based on your love for woody scents i'd say..try and sample these (you have already figured out some)...
    YSL M7
    Lalique Encre Noir
    Serge Lutens Chene (it has a similar tone of wood as in Gucci PH (cedar) only this one is more realistic in it;s woody undertone)
    Shiseido Basala - it's spicy woody combo is simply unique...
    Olivier Durbano Black Tourmaline - smells like campfire.
    Montale Oudh Lime (the basenotes has one of the most impressive set of woody notes...be prepared for the raw opening notes though...)
    Last edited by jenson; 25th January 2009 at 01:25 PM.

The wood in Montales Oud Lime is faint .. it just really heavy on the Lime & Oud !
    Basala is spicey exotic red fruits & a favorite of mine , once again wood doesn't scream out at you .
    Jenson > Have you tried Tumulte ?
    I must also mention Tam Dao ... woody bliss !
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 25th January 2009 at 01:38 PM.

SALES

i agree on Tam Dao. in tht case one cud also add Villoresi Sandalo...

Dimitriois..i have tried Tumulte...i found it too mentholated...someone educated me here tht it's probably the atlas cedar that im smelling...

on Oudh lime..well, oudh is extracted from woods itself. the sillage of oudh lime by basenotes..smells of woody forest..i wish i cud decribe how good it is....but then thts the way i interpret it

Basala...it has such strong and lovely notes of woods under those massive notes of spices... simply mindboggling...again..my interpretation to OP, pls sample before you buy, this one's intense.
    Last edited by jenson; 25th January 2009 at 01:51 PM.

No. 88

Purple Label by RL. I love the mahogany in this one.

Armani Code: The anise and guiac wood make this a dark, sexy brew
    Last edited by Scentologist; 25th January 2009 at 01:56 PM.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I hear you Jenson ..
    But . Im just keeping it simple for dofa & others mesmerised by Visit & Gucci & asking for more of the same as these two .
    I know Tumulte fits nicely into this group & answers dofa's question without confusing him ...
    If there are more > Visit - GPH & Tumulte type designer scents out their easily available that are extra heavy on WOOD.
    Keep em coming please ...

SALES

well Dimitrios, i dont find any comparison between Visit, Gucci ph and Tumulte...so, you are confusing the OP too it's all in the nose of the beholder...let the OP decide...

Gucci PH smells like Chene hence tht suggstion
    Visit has some in common with M7, hence that suggestion.
    Oudh Lime has oudh content, like M7 hence that suggestion.
    Basala, (i just looked up the reviews), if you notice, likes of JaimeB makes point of this one having woody aroma.
    Last edited by jenson; 25th January 2009 at 02:19 PM.

Go with Offrez-Lui by Galimard

Visit, Gucci Ph and Tumulte ,, these are the holy trinity of designer woody scents & Ive seen them mentioned many times in threads & same posts ! ... no same sentences .
    How you don't see them comparable is odd ?
    never mind .

SALES

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Visit, Gucci Ph and Tumulte ,, these are the holy trinity of designer woody scents & Ive seen them mentioned many times in threads & same posts ! ... no same sentences .
    How you don't see them comparable is odd ?
    never mind .
    i never said Tumulte isnt woody. all i said was i dont see any in common between tumulte vs.Gucci and Visit.

anyways, nevermind.

Trussardi Inside. Luxury in a bottle! Contains Lemon, Tobacco, Coffe and Teak..Mmmmm..

Try Ava Luxe Incense Noir. Dark, smoky, woody, heavy, pungent and definitely not a "polite" or coy fragrance.

From Ava Luxe's site

"A deep and mysterious fragrance composed blackened woods, rare resins, incense smoke and charred spices. Agarwood gives its characteristic medicinal opening and as the fragrance warms up on the skin it envelopes you in an otherworldly aura of temple incense.

Notes: Black Agarwood, Australian Sandalwood, Ebony, Birch tar, Ceylon cinnamon bark, Copaiba balsam, Orris extract, Myrrh, Balm of Gilead, Peruvian Balsam, Brazilian Vetiver , Vanilla."

EDIT: Plus this is inexpensive. Incense Noir sells for $30 USD for 1oz.
    Last edited by surreality; 26th January 2009 at 12:33 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    well Dimitrios, i dont find any comparison between Visit, Gucci ph and Tumulte...so, you are confusing the OP too it's all in the nose of the beholder...let the OP decide....
    Yes, but all 3 do most definitely share the same oily, synthetic petrol-cedar note, not at all a dry cedar.

Encre Noir might be your perfect vetiver. very dark and rooty in the beginning, and dries to a greener vetiver scent. It's development is actually in reverse from most scents, as it gets tangier and greener through the day, but starts so dark. If Encre Noir isn't dark enough, go for Etro's, as it is nearly all dark vetiver-root oil, and nothing else.

Also, if you haven't, try most of the masculine L'Artisans, they all have very good deep woods without anything bright in the mix. Hermes Bel Ami is smoky and woody, but is a hit or miss, love/hate, try the vintage if possible. Miller Harris also has a very dark woods, can't remember maybe Terre D'Bois. I'd even try Davidoff Adventure, which is brighter maybe, but has a very deep, warm base with the same Petrol-cedar you like in Visit.

Let us know when you test Domenico Caraceni 1913 and Montale Black Aoud, if you think they smell like old women...lol.

Also, when you say Cartier Declaration, do you mean the clear bottle, or Declaration Essence, in the dark blue-ish bottle ?
    Last edited by DULLAH; 26th January 2009 at 01:08 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Try Ungaro III

Mazzolari Lui is all you are looking for and more.

I must admit to not yet really knowing what dark means. I've used the word to describe Black Aoud but I'm not sure what connects it to other "dark" fragrances. It is something like the combination of saturation or intensity with the absence of sweetness? I suppose that wd account for Black Aoud having a similar feel to Parfum d'Habit in a weird way.

Today I tried Encre Noir and Dullah is right, harsh at the beginning, sweet in its basenotes. A - must - buy - in - the - future scent. I regard Gucci pH as darker, though: red cedar (pencil shavings) does this, IMHO.

Post Re: Help in choosing a fragrance? (dark, woody)

Tervetuloa!

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Eau des Iles should be a first priority for you to sample! Another one you might find intriguing is Etro's Messe de Minuit.

I would also like to second Mazzolari Lui - obviously you'll have to love/like/tolerate patchouli to enjoy this one.

Another vote for Encre Noir. Dark, woody, smokey, moderate sillage and mysteriously gets stronger. If you want something with a sweeter rose, great sillage then go with Black Aoud.

Cool Re: Help in choosing a fragrance? (dark, woody)

Good topic, not sure how I missed this thread. I wish I could contribute some recommendation, although I am sure the OP has found his new scent, but I cannot identify woody scents unless they are shamelessly obvious

I gave Encre Noire a try some time back, it is strong in a certain way that I cannot feel comfortable with it on. Maybe it takes some getting used to, I am not sure. I can see the comparisons to "ink" and I suppose that is obviously what Lalique had intended. Surely an interesting scent.

I find Azzaro Visit and Gucci pour Homme of interest as well. I just picked up a bottle of GpH, boy is it much more costly ($) than I thought it would be I was having a bit of buyers remorse, but I suppose it is generally a higher priced fragrance that most mainstreams. I also love it at the moment, so may as well enjoy the passion while it lasts.

GpH is woody for sure, but I don't see the "dark" aspect of it. I think it is because it smells so similar to the walk ways in my neighborhood. It really smells like the outdoors to me, so I cannot think of it as dark. The church, goth, school, or mysterious associations is something I do not get, but perhaps if I did I would feel it was a dark scent. It is all personal.

Azzaro Visit to me is a sweet nutmeg scent that fades off with some light wood. I was expecting something intense here, but not for me, just a light scent. I don't really feel that Visit and GpH should be considered to be so similar as often as they are. Hopefully I can give Tumulte a try soon.
    Last edited by Surfacing; 8th March 2009 at 06:02 AM.

I'll third the Black Tourmaline suggestion above. Fits the bill 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Try Ava Luxe Incense Noir. Dark, smoky, woody, heavy, pungent and definitely not a "polite" or coy fragrance.

From Ava Luxe's site

"A deep and mysterious fragrance composed blackened woods, rare resins, incense smoke and charred spices. Agarwood gives its characteristic medicinal opening and as the fragrance warms up on the skin it envelopes you in an otherworldly aura of temple incense.

EDIT: Plus this is inexpensive. Incense Noir sells for $30 USD for 1oz.
    Perhaps even better (which seems to fit his requirement) is Ava Luxe Bois Fonc. I find it addicting and doesn't carry too high a price tag. It's very "oudy" without being medicinal like the Montale line.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Mazzolari Lui is all you are looking for and more.
    I would agree, but this is way (WAY!) out of his price range.

Viktor & Rolf - Antidote has all you ask.
    unico grande amore.

Hey,

If you want to try something new thats dark and woody, I would suggest trying "bint al-medina" "emarati oud" and maybe even meccan gold from www.oliveaura.com its great.
    http://oliveaura.wordpress.com

Gucci Pour Homme - dark, woody, dry.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

My favorites in this vein...

Ava Luxe Incense Noir - dark, woody, and smoky, all castoreum and campfire in the top and Russian leather in the heart

Montale Aoud Cuir D'Arabie - oud, smoke, booze and leather, very bold and dark
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 20th March 2009 at 03:35 AM.

My favorite woody scent yet is Chanel Egoiste. After the top notes, the drydown is absolutely amazing and the longevity and sillage are great as well.

Most of the "niche" suggestions (MPG, Lorenzo, Lutens, Czech) will break your limit 60-70 Euros so I'd suggest YSL M7 or Lalique Encre Noire.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Torvo View Post
    Dark + incenseish + 35/50ml: Avignon(Comme des Garcons)

This is just a little over the price range you mentioned but I think Greyland by Montale might be worth your time sampling, as would Incense Noir by Ave Luxe (which is an inexpensive fragrance les than $40USD for 30mL of EdP).
    Last edited by surreality; 20th March 2009 at 04:30 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I don't believe Eau de Italie: Paestum Rose was mentioned, a dark rose if there ever was one.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)