Code of Conduct

Default Arithmetic at Perfume Connection

Yesterday I wandered into a Perfume Connection store, and checked out their specials - which I found interesting. But then I noticed the note at the side saying,
    Buy 2 get 20% off
    Buy 3 get 30% off
    Buy 4 get 40% off

So the Pal Zileri Viaggio D'Africa, Blu di Provenza, Colonia Purissima which were going for $25 each, were suddenly a lot cheaper. I was about to buy them when I realised I'd better do some calculations, as I might be short changing myself compared to buying four altogether.

So I figured the total cost of the three was 3X25X0.7 =$52.5.

A bottle of Escada Moonsparkle for Men was going for $20.
    I then redid the calculation as (3X25 +20)X0.6 = $57, so that buying the Moonsparkle was going to cost me an additional $4.50. And I went for that option.

Anyhow, Viaggio D'Africa is my favourite - an interesting spicy concoction. Moonsparkle, which I bought blind as they did not have a tester, I can't quite get to grips with. It starts out fresh then turns to something somewhat fruity - it reminds me somewhat of the style of Joop Nightflight, which I could also never get my mind around.

Sadly, the staff told me that all Perfume Connection stores will be closed down by the end of the year. This is sad for a number of reasons -
    Over the years I've bought some classics like Equipage, Egoiste and Blenheim's Bouquet from them for $35 each,
    They've stocked scent ranges that no one else carried down here like Lowe, Salvador Dali, Lapidus and numerous other European scents - I've been able to test and comment on threads here that I would otherwise have been unable to do so, and
    They used to have great used tester sales, where I picked up 50 or sixty fragrances for a tiny fraction of their retail prices

Now I'll have to fly to Europe to test a large number of new releases, because they won't show up down here.
    Regards,
    Renato

Default Re: Arithmetic at Perfume Connection

I remember when I was in your country going to a few of the Perfume Connection stores years back and I bought several things from their stores, especially some hard to find Kesling scents. Sad they're closing.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I remember when I was in your country going to a few of the Perfume Connection stores years back and I bought several things from their stores, especially some hard to find Kesling scents. Sad they're closing.
    I'd never heard of them till now. I notice six of them listed in the Directory, but not a single review. How do you rate them?
    Regards,
    Renato

Renato, I know its less economical but doesn't luckyscent , auf liebziem (spl!) mail to Australia?

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Renato, I know its less economical but doesn't luckyscent , auf liebziem (spl!) mail to Australia?
    They may do, but it was so much easier to just walk into a local store and smell a scent that people were discussing here.

I don't like buying blind unless something is very good value and has overwhelmingly positive comments from people I know roughly share my taste in scents.
    Regards,
    Renato

Yes there is nothing like walking into a store at your leisure to smell something.

On the bright side though you may end up smelling more perfumes because earlier you were mostly limited to what the brick and mortar had but now that you have no option but to order online you can order items you've been wanting to test but never got round to ordering online.

for swap/sale:

I used to work there so I was really not surprised when I heard this.
    They were terrible to work for and could never keep hold of staff, prices on many things were cheaper elsewhere so many customers gave up coming in and worrying about a price match and just go straight to the competitors.
    All Chanel and Dior were grey market

Yes there is nothing like walking into a store at your leisure to smell something.

On the bright side though you may end up smelling more perfumes because earlier you were mostly limited to what the brick and mortar had but now that you have no option but to order online you can order items you've been wanting to test but never got round to ordering online.
    Good point. Actually, the only things I'm very keen on testing is the much loved A*Men flankers (Pure Malt, Havanae etc). I've got A*Men but rarely wear it - so if they're like that I'd be wasting money. On the other hand I wear B*Men a lot, which may make them something I'm after.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by fashionista View Post
    They were terrible to work for and could never keep hold of staff, prices on many things were cheaper elsewhere so many customers gave up coming in and worrying about a price match and just go straight to the competitors.
    That's kind of surprising, but perhaps not. Down here in Victoria, yes there were some stores that always seemed to have different staff, but others had pretty regular staff with whom I used to chat a lot - they were always pleased to see me, or me and my wife. Curiously, one admitted to me that there were some stores that were horrible to work at, but that some were really nice.

Price wise, they were/are always cheaper than Myers and David Jones and most chemists. Their main competition seemed to be the Chemist Warehouse/Beauty Counter group and the My Chemist chain.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I've got A*Men but rarely wear it - so if they're like that I'd be wasting money. On the other hand I wear B*Men a lot, which may make them something I'm after.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I say that if you absolutely loved A*Men then the flankers would be worthy options but since you are not a huge fan then I'd say the flankers would be tolerable , at best, to you.

for swap/sale:

I say that if you absolutely loved A*Men then the flankers would be worthy options but since you are not a huge fan then I'd say the flankers would be tolerable , at best, to you.
    Thanks. Yes, I thought that might be the case, which is why I've held off.
    I have a friend who I introduced A*men to, and it's all he wears - morning, noon and night - on any occasion. I've been trying to convince him and his girlfriend that it might be a good idea to get Pure Malt for some variety (ulterior motive on my part).
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by fashionista View Post

Having had the pleasure to work for this company for many many years I can't describe how strongly I disagree with that statement.
    We had a Great direction, Great staff, Great products.. and we achieved some outstanding accomplisments. We worked hard to get to where we are in the market.. Whilst we may not have always had the cheapest price.. That was never what we were about.. We were a speciality retailer, There to give a fragrance experience and I believe we stayed true to that.
    Whilst the store you worked at may not have been great.. It wasn't the 'Company' that was terrible to work for, perhaps a store which is what you make of it...
    I believe 99.9% of current staff will agree when I say TPC is a excellent retailer to work for. One I am very proud to be able to say I was apart of.