Code of Conduct

Default SotM December 2008

Happy New Year Basenotes Nation!
    Time to close the books on 2008 with SotM for December 2008. This monthís stats confirm the weekly trends Iíve been noticing but Iíll get to that after the raw numbers. 5,143 total wears over 1,582 different scents. 763 of those scents posted once for an individuality index of 14.8%. If you add in the scents worn 2,3,or 4 times the index rises to 42.2%. In both cases the indexes are low. The 14.8% is the lowest monthly index in the 10 months of keeping stats and 42.2% is only 0.4% away from the low set in October. Iíve mentioned it in the weekly stats but Iím going to illustrate the point one last time with the monthly numbers. This community becomes less diverse as winter sets in, in the Northern Hemisphere. The average monthly individuality index for the Summer, July through August, was 17.3% for singles and 48.7% when you add in the 2,3,and 4 wear totals. Compare that to October through December where those numbers are 15.0% and 42.2%. Those are very large differences considering the amount of data and further confirm my hypothesis that we work from a narrower olfactory palette as the weather turns cooler.
    This narrowness of choice is also reflected in the top 10 for the month. I would say that if I look at the top 25 there is only one scent there that hasnít posted a top 10 placing before and that is Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 at a tie for 14th with 26 wears.
    Leading off the December top 10 is Guerlain Vetiver as it has the last few months. In the past few months there has been a vast gulf down to #2 but this month Guerlain Habit Rouge was only four wears behind. Tied for third were Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme and Dior Homme. Finishing the top half was Burberry London for Men which has been on a tear over the last eight weeks. The bottom half of the top 10 starts with a resurgent Yves St. Laurent M7 which was a popular choice as we got deeper into the month indicating that it was being worn out to parties and holiday events. It is followed by Creed Bois du Portugal, Tauer LíAir du Desert Marocain and Guerlain Jicky in the seventh, eighth and ninth spots. We finish with two scents tied for tenth Guerlain Shalimar and Chanel Egoiste. I think this lineup is pretty emblematic of what Basenotes Nation wears when they want to dress up a little bit. When I break out the top 10 scents worn by the ladies it is a more formal group of scents as well. I think you could do worse than to use the two top 10ís for December as the starting point for any new Perfumista or Colognoisseur looking for their dressy scent.
    The top 10 for December 2008
    1.) Guerlain Vetiver 49 wears (1.0%)
    2.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 45 wears (0.9%)
    3.) Dior Homme 38 wears (0.7%)
    3.) Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme 38 wears (0.7%)
    5.) Burberry London for Men 35 wears (0.7%)
    6.) Yves St. Laurent M7 34 wears (0.7%)
    7.) Creed Bois du Portugal 33 wears (0.6%)
    8.) Tauer LíAir du Desert Marocain 32 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Guerlain Jicky 31 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Chanel Egoiste 30 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Guerlain Shalimar 30 wears (0.6%)

Just missing by two wears was the onetime king of this countdown Hermes Terre DíHermes. One wear further back was Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur. The top new scent for the month was Ralph Lauren Polo Modern Reserve all the way back at #28 with 18 wears it was followed by Prada Infusion DíHomme, Le Labo Gaiac 10, and Kenzo Power each separated by one wear respectively.
    Thatís it for December and for 2008 as we make the turn into 2009 and the last two months of this experiment.
    As always, you keep wearing Ďem and Iíll keep counting Ďem
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotM December 2008

I am endlessly fascinated by this data.

Thank you once more for analysing this incredible amount of data.
    I have no idea how you manage that but its great and always interesting where the trends lead to.

Thanks for the 10th time, SMM. Fascinating.

One request: WE WANT CHARTS!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 3rd January 2009 at 04:01 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

For some reason, I never opened the SotM threads before.

That stated, I think this is about as fascinating as Basenotes gets. For real. This in very interesting!

I will dig up the old threads and take a look.

How long does it take you to put all this together? (Forgive me if that has already been asked.)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

A superb work since it's inception SMM. Bravo!
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I love it. I love it so much it hurts that the individuality index is down for the month. I'll have to try to do something about that every now and then.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thanks SMM.
    Will there be a SotY thread?
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Blog Entries

Always very, very interesting. The winter weather angle is fascinating - and makes me hopefully that Terre d'Hermes is just a frostbite casualty, which will come back to its former glory in the spring!

I was worried about the lower individuality, too. But it seems that I find myself strongly attracted to the same scents more than once a week, and I can just feel diversity fleeing. Could it be that the general trend against release of stronger scents in recent years has funnelled us to lower individuality in the winter weather? Or is it us - our noses in cold weather? Or both? Or even a general relaxation of our "duty to sample" among Basenoters, for some internal cyber-cultural reason? A fascinating phenomenon, no matter what.

Charts! LOL! But Snafoo, you're absolutely right. This data would be very impressive visualized.

Another superb installment!

Thanks, SMM!
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 3rd January 2009 at 06:37 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    The average monthly individuality index for the Summer, July through August, was 17.3% for singles and 48.7% when you add in the 2,3,and 4 wear totals. Compare that to October through December where those numbers are 15.0% and 42.2%. Those are very large differences considering the amount of data and further confirm my hypothesis that we work from a narrower olfactory palette as the weather turns cooler.
    I know I haven't looked sideways at any of my summery florals these past few months, but much of what I'm wearing nowadays (Cťdre and Idole de Lubin) sees little use in hot weather, so I don't think that would affect individuality much. It's possible that those of us who rotate their fragrance wardrobes with the seasons might have fewer winter scents to choose from. But I'm more inclined to think that there are certain comfort scents many of us are more likely to turn to during the holidays and when the weather assails us.

A fascinating read as always SMM. Thank you again for doing this.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Thanks for the 10th time, SMM. Fascinating.

One request: WE WANT CHARTS!
    When I am all done with the whole year...You will get charts.
    Charts of every kind: wear charts, House charts, scent charts.
    That's a promise.
    You just have to be patient. I have a lot of things I want to do once the data set is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    How long does it take you to put all this together? (Forgive me if that has already been asked.)
    It takes on the order of an hour or so per day to log in all of the scents.
    It takes about another hour or so to analyze the data and compare it to what's gone before.
    This has taken longer recently because there is more to compare to the more data we get.
    It takes me about an hour to think and write up the report.
    So I figure it takes me about 9-10 hours/week.
    Time well spent for me because I have learned so much from watching this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    Thanks SMM.
    Will there be a SotY thread?
    There will be but that will come after I finish logging in January and February as that will complete the year of data I've been collecting.

Waiting anxiously for the SotY finale, although it is clear from the SotM reports what scents will be among the top 10. Great work--a truly selfless act that contributes to the community feel of this board. Brilliant.

So I figure it takes me about 9-10 hours/week...
    HOLY TRENDLINE, BATMAN!

That's quite a commitment, SMM. I think your SOTY deserves a full article on the Basenotes front page, if you ask me.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

This community becomes less diverse as winter sets in, in the Northern Hemisphere.
    I've been wondering about that. Are you compiling data differently for which hemisphere Basenotes members are in? Or is this a trend mainly because the majority of Basenotes members are in the Northern Hemisphere?

Thnx a Million SMM !!

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    I've been wondering about that. Are you compiling data differently for which hemisphere Basenotes members are in? Or is this a trend mainly because the majority of Basenotes members are in the Northern Hemisphere?
    I'm good but I'm not that good.
    It is because the great majority of the community is in the Northern Hemisphere.

It would be interesting after the data compilation is complete as to whether any predictions could be made as to future trends.

I wonder if my montale sampling craze will be reflected, today alone I wore 4 of them.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Somerville Metro Man : Great work as usual, I wish you'd publish a top 30 or something as the wears are so closely divided.