Code of Conduct

Default How do you people do it? I only have 4 frags and I can't even decide what to wear.

I couldn't imagine having 25+ frags. I'd spend 30 minutes in the morning trying to decide what to put on.

Anyways, looking for advice on my next purchase(aka adventure into the further depths of confusion). I have Polo Green, Givenchy Pi, Alt Innsbruck, and Canoe. I enjoy them. These are some of the frags i'm considering purchasing:

Rive Gauche
    Michael for Men by Michael Kors
    Habit Rouge
    Burberry London(worried about longevity)
    Jaipur Homme

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by ibarney5; 3rd January 2009 at 02:32 AM.

Default Re: How do you people do it? I only have 4 frags and can't even decide what to wear.

If i were you , i'd go for Jaipur & Habit Rouge .
    Im going to get those for myself as well .
    cheers

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Default Re: How do you people do it? I only have 4 frags and I can't even decide what to wear

I rarely consider the occasion, so I usually just feel drawn to a particular frag each day. It's often one I haven't worn in a long time, so I'm curious about how I'll feel about it after a long absence, but sometimes I want a particular type of frag, so that narrows things down considerably.

Default Re: How do you people do it? I only have 4 frags and I can't even decide what to wear

I'll second what Dimitrios says. You need a good Oriental in your wardrobe!

noggs

I own all of the fragrances you are considering for purchase. From that list I recommend Habit Rouge most highly.

Ya, it's not easy choosing from over 100 fragrances each morning (and evening.) I do get a little OCD about it.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Personally I don't think you'll enjoy Jaipur if you wear Pi. Jaipur seems overly heavy and fuzzy after wearing Pi.

I'd get the London. The longevity is fine on me and many others. I think it is person to person. I love the stuff.

I also sympathize with you. I own anywhere from 1-5 at all times. Never more than 5 unless I buy and sell.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sur la Plage

I think Rive Gauche would be the most versatile for you.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'd go with Rive Gauche ... and welcome to the world of deciding what to wear! I just have to randomly spritz sometimes to avoid the indecision, and I have "only" about 50 frags.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think Rive Gauche would be the most versatile for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I'd go with Rive Gauche ... and welcome to the world of deciding what to wear! I just have to randomly spritz sometimes to avoid the indecision, and I have "only" about 50 frags.

Agree...

Go with the Gauche!

I'm not acquainted with the Michael Kors.
    I like Jaipur Homme but, unfortunately, after I bought it (the edp), I was told by my s.o. that it was nauseatingly overpowering - so you definitely don't want to overapply nor expose people to its opening blast.
    The others should be sampled, preferably at home, before buying.

Everyone in your list is fine. I'd recommend Habit Rouge as per Dimitrios' reply but you must find the one YOU like the most

Rive Gauche is a difficult one to recommend for a blind buy. I will recommend Burberry London and Michael for Men by Michael Kors. I tried the Kors one this week and was really impressed with it. It was much better than I expected and a fine fragrance. London is also top-notch.

With 4 fragrances can't you just rotate them? seems like that would take the guesswork out of it.

Rive Gauche is very versatile, but not for everyone. Jaipur is best in the EdP version.

Rive gauche, to me, smells like an old man having a shave at the barbershop, if that could help you make a better choice.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I was worried about the "old man" connotations of Rive Gauche, but bought it blind anyway and do not see an age issue with it at all. The only frag in my wardrobe with which I worry about smelling "old" is Opium PH.

I own both Rive Gauche and Burberry London, and both are in my top 5 for everyday use. I purchased Chanel Platinum Egoiste as my "classy dress-up" frag but I always use Rive Gauche in that situation now that I have it. I have not smelled the others in your list, so it is tough to discount them.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I'll second what Dimitrios says. You need a good Oriental in your wardrobe!

noggs
    And this doesn't mean hiding some Chinese girl in your closet.
    Last edited by knightowl; 3rd January 2009 at 07:55 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Rive Gauche and Habit Rouge. More depth to your wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    And this doesn't mean hiding some Chinese girl in your closet.
    god....you are so witty...

It actually gets easier to choose the more frags you have.. up to a point!!

When you've got about 10-15 frags, all carefully selected to fit a spot in the day/night, casual/formal, and season considerations, you've got one 'ideal scent' for each situation. Of course that can get old, and that's why so many have huge wardrobes, but seriously, if you add a few more frags you may find it easier to choose.

If I were you, I'd consider picking up something lighter and fresher for the coming spring. Something light, yet with depth, that straddles the casual/formal line, and will work well in nearly any situation. My recommendation: Versace PH.

But, if you're dead set on getting another heavier fragrance, I'd go with London from that collection. Longevity on me is excellent.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Personally I don't think you'll enjoy Jaipur if you wear Pi. Jaipur seems overly heavy and fuzzy after wearing Pi.
    Jaipur is by far the best fragrance of the ones you listed. Specially the EDP. All fragrances you listed are bottleworthy offcourse it's just my opinion that Jaipur kicks their ass . Don't bathe in it though, it's a masterpiece, but 2 sprays is enough, 1 to the neck 1 to the lower chest, and they'll smell you for the whole day.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

If you're going for Jaipur or even Habit Rouge, I doubt you'll be using Pi anymore. Just as a warning.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

I have also 4-5 frags now and am using Rive Gauche PH & Terre d´Hermes in rotation. I have also declaration from cartier ( from which i want also buy the essence version) and Rochas lui a fine-woody frag for special occasions.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Quote Originally Posted by ibarney5 View Post
    I couldn't imagine having 25+ frags. I'd spend 30 minutes in the morning trying to decide what to put on.
    For me it was exactly the opposite: I had a much harder time picking a scent when I had less than ten scents, but I have never had that problem since my wardrobe grew, because now I have the right scent for every mood and occasion!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Actually having just a few fragrances can be a good way to experiment with how they change in different weather and social situations. By becoming aware of each ones strengths and weaknesses, it will allow you to make an informed choice about future purchases. A small wardrobe can be an advantage providing it is balanced and flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by ibarney5 View Post
    Burberry London(worried about longevity)
    London lasts forever on my skin. It should be very readily available to see if it works on you - my local Sephora has a tester out.

-Habit Rouge! I have only tried the EDT version of this masterpiece, and it`s one of the most uniqe fragrances i`we ever smelled..Pure class! I am now waiting for the EDC version, which i have ordered. Very exciting!
    Jaipur is also very good. Soft and elegant. As said here before, 2 sprays is enough and it will last all day long.
    If you want a Burberry, i would recomend Touch. This will always be one of my favorits. Very weareble for most ocations. Goes well with suit and tie, as well as jeans and t-shirt. "Smile in a bottle"!

Blog Entries

actually the more scents i've gotten, the easier it has become for me to decide on a fragrance each morning-----more options to related to the different feelings and atmospheres of different mornings.

Jaipur first

wait a month

Then Rive Gauche

Trust me.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Isn't Canoe great? So simply and easy.I find Racquets Formula and Lui similar in feel but decidedly different.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments everyone. I went with Rive Gauche. Money was a bit tight so I went with one of the more inexpensive selections. Can't wait to try it.

Those are all great choices. I own and enjoy Rive Gauche, Michael Kors, and Burberry London. I would say you couldn't go wrong with any of these, but my choice would be for RG.

Rive Gauche is the most year around from that group, in my opinion.

I have about 40 scents. That seems to be my max, as I go hard at selling them off when I find myself over that cap. I have about 7 or 8 up for sale right now.

Any more than 40 and I seem to get irritated that many are not used at all.

My wife loves Rive Gauche on me. Sad thing is, I've worn it once in the last two months.

As many here know, one can have so many that the good ones get ignored.