Code of Conduct

Default Describe the fragrance you are looking for in 2009

Well it's a new year and I thought it might be an entertaining thread if we all described our dream fragrance for 2009. I'm not talking about a 'real' fragrance you're looking for a bottle off, say a Montale you've been saving for.

Talk about your dream fragrance that you're trying to track down.The notes, development, etc.

For me, I'd love to find a fragrance that combined the rich orange of Terre D'Hermes, a vintage leather of Knize 10, a rich tobacco and a deep musk ala Musc Ravageur for a very deep masculine smell.

What's your dream non existent fragrance?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Describe the fragrance you are looking for in 2009

I'd like to see something combining jasmine, cedar, vanilla/benzoin, fig notes, and the modern macrocyclic musk Cosmone. More floral than Tom Ford Extreme, and even Kenzo Power, but less so than Black Orchid. Stronger than Givenchy Pi Neo, and without the marine aspect, but including the fig and cedar of Un Jardin en Méditerranée.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have always been partial to skanky musks a la SL's MKK.

My fragrance (code name: Niffy) will have the civet-rich musk of MKK in symphony with the amber of Amber Sultan without the medicinal notes finished with a significant presence of leather. Some castoreum in the background wont hurt.

I think i will concentrate on improving my understanding and analysing skills regarding to smells, I just want to smell as many scents as possible that I havent yet smelled and keep improving my nose.
    Besides if it comes to saving up for a frag-I actually have been saving up and think I will go for the 100ml musc ravageur as a first niche Biggie, otherwise I think sticking to samples and/or decants suits my needs better.
    Last edited by timaru; 3rd January 2009 at 07:11 AM.

I am ALWAYS seeking THE leather fragrance... realistic, un-cut, un-sweetened - a soliflore for dead tanned cow!

I've tried about thirty leather fragrances, and while I've found many I've liked, none have been "the one" the way some other fragrances have been ( for example Carnal Flower for tuberose and L'Eau Trois for myrrh ). I'll undoubtedly keep that search going!

Incense Noir has me craving smoky fragrances. Something with its top notes blended with the leather note in Cuir Ottoman, perhaps some myrrh and copal, perhaps some civet or castoreum, and absolutely no sweet side would be total perfection. I doubt I'll find it, mind you...

I want to find a jasmine fragrance I like. I love soliflores and jasmine both living and as an absolute, so why I haven't explored this wide category is a mystery to me! It has be realistic.

A rose-oriental of my dreams would be rose blended with cinnamon, cloves, myrrh, benzoin, peru balsam and black copal, perhaps civet.

A true-to-life gardenia fragrance. So far all, even the good ones, have failed.

I'm looking for a smooth tobacco fragrance, but it's not urgent. I've found two good ones in the form of Kretek and Fougere Bengale,
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 3rd January 2009 at 07:58 AM.

i'm looking for a ethreal rose based spicy scent...with the depth and intensity of basala yet the fleeting nature of any Ellena scents...a scent which hangs in there..suspended. I have found a scent close to that in Ungaro I..yet...
    I'm also looking out for "that" patchouli scent..possibly with hints of animal fur and touch of arabic spices....i may have a bottle coming in matching this(Mazzolari Lui)..yet..my quest continues...

Can I commission two frags?
    The first would combine a nutty opening with a heart of ripe, full fig and a drydown of frankincense, with just a smidgen of opoponax and vanilla. The drydown would be similar to Profvmvm Olibanum's; a subtle whisper of a skin scent, slightly sweetened but absolutely not syrupy at all. It'd have to be a "full" incense, not the tinny, cedary stuff found in Ouarzazate (which I also love, but not here, please). The fig would have to be completely devoid of coconutty vibes.

Secondly I'd commission a sublty spiced sandalwood-musky thing. I've not found my ideal musk yet, so this ought to be it. Sex, but no barnyard. Warm and cuddly, but not cloying. It won't even need to be very complex, just perfect. I'm not demanding at all, am I?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I'm looking to get a classic Guerlain that is suited to me well. I believe that could be Apres L'Ondee or L'Heure Bleue, I need to test more in store.

But to really answer the question... I'll know it when I smell it.

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Can I commission two frags?
    The first would combine a nutty opening with a heart of ripe, full fig and a drydown of frankincense, with just a smidgen of opoponax and vanilla. The drydown would be similar to Profvmvm Olibanum's; a subtle whisper of a skin scent, slightly sweetened but absolutely not syrupy at all. It'd have to be a "full" incense, not the tinny, cedary stuff found in Ouarzazate (which I also love, but not here, please). The fig would have to be completely devoid of coconutty vibes.

Secondly I'd commission a sublty spiced sandalwood-musky thing. I've not found my ideal musk yet, so this ought to be it. Sex, but no barnyard. Warm and cuddly, but not cloying. It won't even need to be very complex, just perfect. I'm not demanding at all, am I?
    Mmmm, please let me know when you find your first choice, I definitely want some.

I'd like to find a version of M7 with better quality ingredients! If anyone knows about something like this that exists, please let me know, it might just be my holy grail...

Some that has the the true essence of Patou Pour Homme with that touch of hot pepper element, and not just a pale imitation.

Basenotes Institution

A Serge Luten fragrance based on aoud (oud).

An Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir release in the US so I don't have to go duty-free shoppping.

well, im looking for a scent which is similar to allure homme and black xs. a spicy strawberry scent with flowerly appeal. also with like lime undertones and of course great sillage.mmmm..

A resinous oriental with camphor top notes and a jasmine/carnation middle. If only Caron didn't muck their range up!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 6th January 2009 at 10:10 PM.

I hope all who FIND their fragrance report back.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I'd like to find a version of M7 with better quality ingredients! If anyone knows about something like this that exists, please let me know, it might just be my holy grail...
    Have you tried Nosomatto Duro?

What am I looking for?...

Nothing, really. I only need money to buy a couple of scents, one of them duro. But other than that I am OK
    Last edited by irish; 5th January 2009 at 06:54 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Id actually like to cut about half my wardrobe so that I only have the things I really like remaining. That said, I'd like to get something a bit more 'out of the box' than most of what I own.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

...easy. Right now (2009) I am looking for YSL L'Homme and Kenzo Power. That may change as the year goes on, but thats it right now. I would even trade my Chanel Egoiste for one of those two.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

I don't know how to explain it but I want it to say: Strong, confident business like and sexy. So something I would wear to work and not have it be too sweet, too feminine, too strong or animalistic. It would have this incredible drydown that would have average sillage in the way that you would catch a whiff here and there and tell I smell good but it wouldn't just follow me. It would be some kind of cross of TdH, Polo Modern Reserve, Bulgari Aqua(without the aqua), etc. Strong, quiet, confident and with a suit or business casual the same. This might actually be a niche I haven't tried.

Despite only owning 5, I'd like to cut it even more and have the above scent as a daily one mixed with maybe two others...and then rotated. I just like simple and good.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 5th January 2009 at 04:01 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I really don't know.

Just want something that surprises me and makes me go "Woah, I want this -- now!"

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    ...easy. Right now (2009) I am looking for YSL L'Homme and Kenzo Power. That may change as the year goes on, but thats it right now. I would even trade my Chanel Egoiste for one of those two.
    danho - try kenzousa.com - I picked up some extra Kenzo Power from the Australian equivalent site and it was here in a couple of days. The USA site even has the aftershave balm which isn't available here. Of course this is assuming you've tested it etc :-)
    Last edited by Dinsypedia; 5th January 2009 at 09:39 PM.
    -
    Top 7 (Feb 2009): Dior Homme (incl Intense & Cologne versions), Penhaligon's Racquets Formula, Kenzo Power, Prada Infusion d'Homme, Gendarme, Guerlain's Veiver & Habit Rouge

something smelling fresh like very cold/icy/frosty winter air

Non.. I think i`d find what i was seeking, in 2008... Trussardi Inside, and i am still waiting for my last purchase.. Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge edc! After these 3, i think i will relax for a while..

Blog Entries

I will be looking for another oriental that is classic, classy and causes me to say mmmmmm when I sniff it.

The perfect white floral, featuring in particular, orange blossom/jasmine/tuberose. Not a floral oriental, I don't want flowers drowning in vanilla. It may be something new that I've never tried before, I or I may just have that moment when I discover that what I've been after has been known to me all along, and I cave in and buy a full bottle of Fracas.

A jasmine combined with something dry and resinous, maybe a bone-dry amber as in L'Air du Desert Marocain.

I am looking for a mens masculine scent with musk and no amber or suede. It's the one fragrance type i don't have. Something like a modern Azzaro pour homme. Woods and musk - an aromatic done right Not like RL Romance for men

PATCHOULI + CANAPA SATIVA + IMMORTELLE + AOUD That could exists?

The first 3 minutes of the original Acqua Di Parma Colonia.......made linear, and long lasting, with no lavender.

Do it Laurice.

An entirely new Chanel for men, by J. Polge, without reference to Les Exclusifs (although they are grand, indeed).

A new masculine from Hermes, as groundbreaking and distinctive as Td'H.

...and a pony named Starfire.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Have you tried Nosomatto Duro?

What am I looking for?...

Nothing, really. I only need money to buy a couple of scents, one of them duro. But other than that I am OK

Just ordered a sample of Duro, thanks Irish

Blog Entries

Guerlain Habit Rouge EDC- though perfect as it is- with just a touch less vanilla, and just a touch more leather. WILL BE HEAVEN!
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    A jasmine combined with something dry and resinous, maybe a bone-dry amber as in L'Air du Desert Marocain.
    That sounds great. I'd also like to see Tauer pull off something with the feel of L'air du desert, but with a variation.. something cooler and floral and/or green but still dry and resinous. Maybe jasmine, mint, oakmoss, hinoki, incense, vanilla and ambergris? Something like "L'air de L'alpestre Nordique" (northern alpine air)? I'm already fantasizing...
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 7th January 2009 at 04:38 AM.

Well, I just ordered a One Man Show bottle (never tried it) because it sounded good (used in small amounts), but if I don't like it I'll add sweetened vanilla extract to it and see what happens. LOL.

My wish for 2009: Finally finding an aquatic that isn't overpowering, sickly, synthetic, or sour.

I've tried AdG, L'eau d'Issey, Bvlgari Aqva (and the Marine flanker), Chrome, Beyond Paradise, Erolfa, MI, Unforgivable, Kenzo Pour Homme, L'eau par Kenzo, and even Montale Fougeres Marines. None of them fit the bill. Could someone help me?
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Dust.
    Leather.
    Muted florals.

or maybe somethiiiing along the lines of a cardamom + medicinal smelling musk.

Like a filthy (in the suggestive sense) hospital, avec cardamom.

This is what I think about in my chemistry lecture.
    hahaha.
    Last edited by comsatzinger; 7th January 2009 at 03:24 PM.

Well...I don't really understand this thread a whole lot. You can ask and hope for some kind of scent to come out, but it really has no meaning or impact on what's actually going to be put out by the companies.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    My wish for 2009: Finally finding an aquatic that isn't overpowering, sickly, synthetic, or sour.

I've tried AdG, L'eau d'Issey, Bvlgari Aqva (and the Marine flanker), Chrome, Beyond Paradise, Erolfa, MI, Unforgivable, Kenzo Pour Homme, L'eau par Kenzo, and even Montale Fougeres Marines. None of them fit the bill. Could someone help me?
    Acqua di Sale by Profumum and Sel Marin by Heeley are the best two, IMHO. Also, if you find most aquatics sour and overpowering, you should try Mr. Hulot’s Holiday by CB I Hate Perfume. It's more gentle than other similar fragrances.
    Last edited by adrianis; 7th January 2009 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Well...I don't really understand this thread a whole lot. You can ask and hope for some kind of scent to come out, but it really has no meaning or impact on what's actually going to be put out by the companies.
    or you can be a debbie downer

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    That sounds great. I'd also like to see Tauer pull off something with the feel of L'air du desert, but with a variation.. something cooler and floral and/or green but still dry and resinous. Maybe jasmine, mint, oakmoss, hinoki, incense, vanilla and ambergris? Something like "L'air de L'alpestre Nordique" (northern alpine air)? I'm already fantasizing...
    Oooooo. Now that sounds amazing. Count me in for that!

In 2009 I`ll be looking for something around chypres, leathers, vetivers and civet.
    As I don`t expect something from new releases, it`ll be vintage scents - so many perfume gems are hidden in closets!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Another "holy grail", but one that is still in production!

I would most likely include:
    Lemon, lime, or bitter orange peel
    Lavender
    Oakmoss
    Jasmine
    Rose
    A little tobacco
    A little incense

I'd also like to see a nice fragrance based on, or including cola nut.

And I'd like to try some more absinthe-based scents.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

2009 will be a Niche year for me.....If I purchase any mainstream scents they will really have to knock my socks off.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    uhh. good input!

For me, I'd like some more boozy scents. Scents like Straight to Heaven, Idole, and 1270 have been some of my favorites this past year!
    Last edited by jrd4t; 16th January 2009 at 02:22 AM.

Am looking forward to my my son bringing me a bottle of Serge Lutens MKK and Encens Lavande back from Paris when he returns next week.

Yesterday I had a full wearing (and on left hand) of Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque and Amouage Lyric Man on the right hand. If ever I found a scent with these beauties poured together...
    A smokey, faintly sweet dark incense with a light rose. Then I might die.
    Last edited by Sandy; 16th January 2009 at 08:10 PM.

Having just read about Baldessarini Strictly Private... that could be it!