Code of Conduct

Arrow Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I've just tried this from a sample vial and I think at this moment I would like to have some of this juice. This fragrance has been so appropriately named, its unbelievable. All I get out of this is a linear smell of vanilla and tobacco. The combination is nothing spectacular yet its compelling.

Where exactly can one buy this from? I see all the splits happening here have been consummated. Any splits in the offing? Any information would be appreciated.

Default Re: Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Im as keen as mustard myself to try it , sorry to thread jack but is it available in the UK anywhere ???

I'm eager for a sniff too....
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I love it, much better then SDV IMO as far as vanilla goes and just worked so much better on my skin. It lasted at least 24 hours before I took a shower might have lasted more too.

This is going to be my next purchase this year whether it be a decant or FB
    Last edited by denec; 3rd January 2009 at 02:05 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Check out tomford.com for retailers that stock Tom Ford Beauty products.

Tobacco Vanille is fantastic, I agree. I regret, I don't really get to wear it from my decant as much as I would like, since TV can wear heavily in warm weather which is common here in Miami. But as soon as it cools down, I reach for it. It, and Spiritueuse Double Vanille are vanilla standards, IMO.

Tobaco Vanille has some flaws - too sweet drydown. Despite this - it's amazing scent.
    Last edited by DreamerII; 3rd January 2009 at 02:37 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Somehow, it reminds me of a sweeter Tea for Two by L'Artisn.

I love it, though at the prices it goes for it always seems to take a backseat to other fragrances. I'm not sure about splits, but it's available at Nordstroms online and select Saks and Neimans in-store.

TV is just about a perfect balance of the two main components. Neither dominates. I like it a lot. Quite expensive though.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Im as keen as mustard myself to try it , sorry to thread jack but is it available in the UK anywhere ???
    As far as I know they stock it in Harrods, Harvey Nicholls and Selfridges. I might go up to London to give this a try,
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

An great fragrance. I tried it and it immediately went in my top five. I do not usually like vanilla, but in here it is not too sweet and tempered just right with cinnamon. It smells just like vanilla pipe tobacco. If you can find it, it is most certanly worth your time.

I think I am going to be purchasing this one pretty soon probably next pay check

It's a real cold winter in Lithuania with much snow. I sprayed Tobacco Vanille and it's hard to compare the pleasure of wearing this scent with any other.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

At fist I thought, "Why would I pay that much for a vanilla scent?", but after smelling SDV, I think I need to try this one.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I ordered it the other day from NM, and called the Tom Ford Store in NY for samples of the TV and a couple others. As I mentioned in another thread, the people I dealt with at Tom Ford could not have been more helpful and great to deal with.

I am looking forward to receiving it...although after reading all the comments my expectations may be a bit too high now.

I will report back.

I think its one of those that I will just know I will love from peoples decriptions alone

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I think its one of those that I will just know I will love from peoples decriptions alone
    My fingers are crossed.

This is a very opulent scent, rich and full bodied. I can't stress enough how fantastically it wears in cooler weather.

If only I had the dough to grab me a FB of my own......but hey, one can dream

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

So what exactly is the main difference in vanilla/tobacco theme between Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille and Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    At fist I thought, "Why would I pay that much for a vanilla scent?", but after smelling SDV, I think I need to try this one.
    I thought the same myself. Why would anyone want to pay so much for a vanilla scent? Then when I sniffed Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, I found it compelling enough to get it despite its high price.

I haven't sniffed SDV but now I am curious about that too. I don't want to again say 'Its just vanilla'....meh

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    So what exactly is the main difference in vanilla/tobacco theme between Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille and Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille?
    TV: Very linear. Tobacco is VERY prominent and it's VERY sweet. Sillage and longevity are high.

SDV: Much more complex, from a boozy kind of macerated vanilla note to a more gentle spice soaked Guerlainade base. Tobacco is lighter touch and it is less sweet. SDV smells different smelled up close than it does far away (a trait common among Guerlain's). Sillage is average and longevity is above average.

Of course, this is a very quick generalization of the differences. Both are wonderful and I'm glad I own decants of both.

Do not overspray TV! Literally, one spray will do you for a good part of the day. Very linear and I can't take too much without layering. Layers well with Tuscan Leather.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I'm seriously considering this a must buy for me. Come tax refund time, i'll probably pick up the 1.7 oz spray. Heck, if I get a stimulus check, I may just spring for the 8.3 oz, but I seriously doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Somehow, it reminds me of a sweeter Tea for Two by L'Artisn.

me too... it's totally in the same vein for me.

I just got a 5ml decant of TV from eBay. God I love this stuff. I'm wearing it now and basking in its sweetness. I also got a great demo of the Tom Ford Private Collection Coffret at the Neiman Marcus in Troy MI. This is on my dream list. Got a great sample of Moss Breches from this visit as well. Champaca and Tuscan Leather are also very wonderful. Thank you very much to the awesome and generous SA's at NM.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post
    I just got a 5ml decant of TV from eBay. God I love this stuff. I'm wearing it now and basking in its sweetness. I also got a great demo of the Tom Ford Private Collection Coffret at the Neiman Marcus in Troy MI. This is on my dream list. Got a great sample of Moss Breches from this visit as well. Champaca and Tuscan Leather are also very wonderful. Thank you very much to the awesome and generous SA's at NM.
    JickyMan,

I actually called that store and the sales associate had NO IDEA what I was talking about. He acted as if I was crazy and really wanted Black Orchid! Too funny!

I received my sample and purchased bottle and must admit, I am not thrilled with it. It is okay....but not my speed.

TV is perhaps the best of the bunch from Ford. Reminds me a lot of the Dreamer (think honey & tobacco leaves). I'm almost convinced that TV is a copy of Dreamer with better ingrediants. The openings are of course different but the drydowns are very similar with TV being slightly sweeter.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I've got a few technical questions about this. How is longevity and sillage? I know somebody described it as "high," but can anyone provide more details? If I buy something like this I want to get a ton of wearings out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ibarney5 View Post
    I've got a few technical questions about this. How is longevity and sillage? I know somebody described it as "high," but can anyone provide more details? If I buy something like this I want to get a ton of wearings out of it.
    Both are incredible high IMO

Longevity is 24 hours ++ probably longer if i did not take a shower

How many sprays is that?

How many sprays is that?

I think I had 2 sprays that was all on the back of my hand this stuff is incredible no joke

i actually stopped at bergdorf goodman today and got a nice 4 ml sample today and going to really enjoy it
    Last edited by denec; 9th January 2009 at 02:24 AM.

Anybody know a place where I can get this cheaper than $165 for a 1.7oz bottle?

Nevermind, just dispatched an order for a 2.5 ml sample spray for it. If I enjoy it, i'll purchase a bottle next week. Happy smelling everyone!
    Last edited by ibarney5; 9th January 2009 at 03:03 AM.

How many sprays is that?
    You don't want to OD on this scent. Maximum 2 sprays should do. It lasted a whole day for me.

That just gave me an awesome idea for some reason. Soaking a napkin in some pungent fragrance and hiding it in my bosses office. Not TV of course, but something else with monster sillage and longevity.
    Last edited by ibarney5; 9th January 2009 at 03:35 AM.

I think Luca Turin calls it "honey tobacco," which I kinda agreed with after smelling it again. A very good scent, which is slightly sweet, but still pretty awesome.

tried it at saks today. 2 hours into and it's really sweet on my skin. smells alot like cinammon. not getting much in the way of vanilla or tobacco (i used to be a smoker and came from a family of pipe and hookah smokers, so i know tobacco )

also tried tuscan leather. kinda digging it, though pretty much one dimensional and may smell too old for my age (early 30s). not sure. like it but not $180 like it. i can see spending say $80 on it.

edit: actually i'm detecting some tobacco in the first one after all. man these fragrances have like zero projection

2nd edit: i sample it today again and i really love it this time. really digging the tobacco notes and does not sweet as sweet as i initially perceived.
    Last edited by union1411; 26th January 2009 at 07:30 PM.

I bought my bottle last year and have given it about 3 really good wearings so far. I do like it a lot but to my nose, honey is by far the dominant note.

Received my sample today. First impression, 2.5ml isn't much. I don't know how people get a feel for this stuff with 1ml or 1.5 ml samples. I'm waiting for my Rive Gauche to fade before I try it. Don't want any cross contamination.

1.5 ml of Tv is plenty for like 8 - 10 wears.

I use one or two sprays tops. This stuff is STRONG!

First impression from a wrist test. Just getting into the drydown, i've got a very linear smell of tobacco. Just a touch of vanilla if any. Not smoky at all. I can just barely detect the underlying spicy note. I can't help but think I should also try a smokier tobacco fragrance. At first I thought mint, but I don't know how dependable the observation is. My nose is fairly undeveloped. I'm liking it, but it's not the mind-blowing scent that I imagined. A few more wearings and a few more samples before I decide if this is truly FB worthy.

Another observation, it is amazing how well the smell of this kind of tobacco can be reproduced.

1.5 ml of Tv is plenty for like 8 - 10 wears.

I use one or two sprays tops. This stuff is STRONG!
    Boy, you weren't kidding. I stupidly thought, "Hey, I want to get a good test of this, so i'll do 3 sprays." Bad move. Quite overpowering.
    Last edited by ibarney5; 15th January 2009 at 01:14 AM.

A more proper testing today and I can tell you I am impressed more with it, but still haven't decided if it's full bottle worthy(at a cheaper price point, it would definitely be) This time, it wasn't as overpowering. I did 3 sprays again, but spread them out a lot more. The progression on this one is subtle. It starts as a straight up tobacco fragrance, but over time, the vanilla seeps into your senses, but the tobacco doesn't disappear. It blends perfectly with the tobacco. I also got a touch of cocoa also, almost like having a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows while enjoying a fine cigar at the same time. Again, the spices were almost non-existent.

Anyways, have a good night guys. Tomorrow I wear it to work. A bit skeptical since I do sweat a bit, but i'll try it anyway.

I made a special trip into town to try and most likely buy this, and was really looking forward to sampling a good vanilla & tobacco scent.

Unfortunately, I was bitterly disappointed. What I sprayed on the test strip was so sickly sweet, almost alcoholic and cloying that after 10 minutes of walking around the store and waiting it to settle, I couldn't bring myself to wait for any longer for a sign of the tobacco to appear. I got the impression that it could be incredibly long lasting though.

I may try again over the next month or so, but today it wasn't to be :-(
    -
    Top 7 (Feb 2009): Dior Homme (incl Intense & Cologne versions), Penhaligon's Racquets Formula, Kenzo Power, Prada Infusion d'Homme, Gendarme, Guerlain's Veiver & Habit Rouge

Some final thoughts on this one. This is pretty much my first foray into high end fragrances, and I am thoroughly impressed. I'm new to all of this, but I get the feeling that there is a lot of complexity behind this simplistic fragrance. The tobacco is out front, blended almost perfectly with the vanilla. You can not tell where the tobacco ends and the vanilla begins. Underneath this heavenly combination, is a slight hint of spices(cinnamon maybe) and cocoa, that serve to support the tobacco and vanilla. Opening up, you have the tobacco and vanilla, but as the fragrance begins to fade, it turns into this creamy luxurious vanilla. You can really notice the cocoa during this time, with the spices still hiding in the background making an appearance ever now and then. As much as I love the opening tobacco notes, I equally love the creamy vanilla/cocoa fade. A perfect cap to a beautiful experience.

I could definitely see myself wanting to bypass the tobacco on days and just going for the creamy vanilla/cocoa experience, but that's another fragrance hunt for another day. Right now, I must say I am in love with this one. I look forward to wearing it for many days to come. I don't like the idea of paying that much for it, but this is grail territory for me, and I guess I might.

Some final thoughts on this one. This is pretty much my first foray into high end fragrances, and I am thoroughly impressed. I'm new to all of this, but I get the feeling that there is a lot of complexity behind this simplistic fragrance. The tobacco is out front, blended almost perfectly with the vanilla. You can not tell where the tobacco ends and the vanilla begins. Underneath this heavenly combination, is a slight hint of spices(cinnamon maybe) and cocoa, that serve to support the tobacco and vanilla. Opening up, you have the tobacco and vanilla, but as the fragrance begins to fade, it turns into this creamy luxurious vanilla. You can really notice the cocoa during this time, with the spices still hiding in the background making an appearance ever now and then. As much as I love the opening tobacco notes, I equally love the creamy vanilla/cocoa fade. A perfect cap to a beautiful experience.

I could definitely see myself wanting to bypass the tobacco on days and just going for the creamy vanilla/cocoa experience, but that's another fragrance hunt for another day. Right now, I must say I am in love with this one. I look forward to wearing it for many days to come. I don't like the idea of paying that much for it, but this is grail territory for me, and I guess I might.

perfect description!!!!!!

i got 10ml of this on ebay and it is excellent!

the only problem is it has to be under 0c to wear this. its a winter only fragrance. if the price goes down next year somewhere online i will get a bottle.

"the creamy vanilla/cocoa experience"

The closest I've found is Amour de Cacao. However, from sampling a gingerbread jojelle frag, I have a feeling they might have one that is a bit better. The problem is that they offer so many you'd have to buy a few dozen samples to find out !

Chocolate Greedy by Montale sounds something like it, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

i havent tried that montale......but i have tried their vanille absolut and it is an excellent vanille....just plain vanilla though.

i am waiting now for montale bois vanille i bought a 100ml blind lol....it better be good!

i wish i just dished out the 180 for the tom ford though......i just cant do it with like 6 weeks left of winter.....maybe next year.

I don't think I could pay $180 for 50 ml of it. I'm getting some through a split for around $100.