Code of Conduct

Default Guilty perfume fantasies

Do you ever get a craving for something you either used to wear and now don't, or something you have previously disliked and suddenly feel inexplicably drawn to?

I'm developing a small Balahe by Leonard fantasy that could possibly be solved if only it was widely available in the shops (because I'd probably take one sniff of it and decide that no, I wouldn't want to wear it these days). Maybe the fantasy-element comes from the difficult-to-obtain nature of some of our old loves and so you feel like it's some kind of forbidden fruit and the heart races at the thought of re-uniting yourself with the old flame... but maybe it'd be a big disappointment after the event.

Then again, I had a similar "ah, man, I really wish..." moment with Byzance a little while back and managed to find some very cheaply online. It smells reformulated (or my memory isn't accurate) - but it is still lovely and an unashamedly soapy big oriental. So in the case of Byzance the fantasy wasn't ruined. In fact I'll be joining the Sniff & Speak with this one.

Hmm. Perhaps it is the shift in perfume trends that I'm subconsciously following (or maybe I'm getting to the age when things start to seem rosy and nostalgic?). There is something in these particular big 80s scents that is intriguing me at present. I miss the distinctive natures of these beasts. You knew who was who somehow. No mistaking one for the other, or maybe that's an idealised version of the past. (Mind you, I wouldn't touch some of the 80s scent monsters now - even used to happily wear the infamous Giorgio Beverly Hills at one point in my crazy teenage days! ).

But anyway. The other one that I might have suddenly decided to actually try wearing was Poison, but it was my husband's ex's signature scent so that's out of the question. Again with the forbidden fruit. Hence the topic title.

There was something intoxicating, extremely sensual and almost vulgar (yet comforting) about Balahe. Huge, medicinal/powdery/resinous vanilla with some boozy oriental fruit notes. Man...

Anyone else care to confess?

Default Re: Guilty perfume fantasies

I once made out with a total stranger in my car, and he was wearing patchouli and turned out to be the Best Kisser in the World, even though I only saw him one more time after that because he also turned out to be a total hobo. Here comes the confession: I still get kind of excited when I smell hippie shop patchouli. So, yeah, I re-bought cheap, hippie shop patchouli three or four times after that and, every time, I never managed to get through the bottle before I got rid of it. Finally, the memory is starting to recede. Still. I love patchouli. Good patchouli. Non-hobo patchouli.

I had a desire a couple of years ago to revisit Montana Parfum de Peau which I used to love in the eighties. Anyway it must have been reformulated cause I couldn't stand it, but I'd also stopped smoking cigarettes which obviously affected my perception of fragrance too. The 'reunion' with Parfum de Peau was a disaster and the two(!) bottles I'd bought ended up on ebay. I had a fleeting longing for Poison (also wore this in the eighties) a couple of months ago but reasoned that Crystal Noir was diva enough for me so didn't pursue that one. I don't feel guilty though, it's just reconnecting to a frag memory - perhaps wanting to recapture the good times which were happening then or wanting to get back some of the energy/creativity levels that I had at that time. The last notion is probably the most accurate! "If I wear Poison again I'll be as creative and prolific in my work now as I was then" sort of idea - Yeah, right!!!!
    I agree that part of the attraction is the scarcity of the fragrance now but I also have a fondness for the big, bold spirit of eighties scents in general. I wore Samsara for the first time the other week and now I'm delighted that I can add it to my wardrobe as a fragrance which is completely new to me but it has that great big magical aura about it that just sums up eighties fragrances for me, in the best way. I own up to wearing Giorgio Beverly Hills happily too way back when it was released!!!! Have you found Balahe available to buy anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by chaelaran1008 View Post
    I had a desire a couple of years ago to revisit Montana Parfum de Peau which I used to love in the eighties. Anyway it must have been reformulated cause I couldn't stand it, but I'd also stopped smoking cigarettes which obviously affected my perception of fragrance too. The 'reunion' with Parfum de Peau was a disaster and the two(!) bottles I'd bought ended up on ebay. I had a fleeting longing for Poison (also wore this in the eighties) a couple of months ago but reasoned that Crystal Noir was diva enough for me so didn't pursue that one. I don't feel guilty though, it's just reconnecting to a frag memory - perhaps wanting to recapture the good times which were happening then or wanting to get back some of the energy/creativity levels that I had at that time. The last notion is probably the most accurate! "If I wear Poison again I'll be as creative and prolific in my work now as I was then" sort of idea - Yeah, right!!!!
    I agree that part of the attraction is the scarcity of the fragrance now but I also have a fondness for the big, bold spirit of eighties scents in general. I wore Samsara for the first time the other week and now I'm delighted that I can add it to my wardrobe as a fragrance which is completely new to me but it has that great big magical aura about it that just sums up eighties fragrances for me, in the best way. I own up to wearing Giorgio Beverly Hills happily too way back when it was released!!!! Have you found Balahe available to buy anywhere?
    Aaaah, chaelaran, sounds like you can sort of extrapolate the concepts I was grasping at - and we even have some similar tastes (a very good friend of mine used to wear Samsara and I have toyed with the idea of getting some for myself to remind me of the good times we had).

Balahe seems to be only available on US-based perfume websites. I've been wondering about whether or not to take the risk of a kind of "blind memory buy".

Purplebird: I love your salacious patchouli story

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Balahe seems to be only available on US-based perfume websites. I've been wondering about whether or not to take the risk of a kind of "blind memory buy".
    This is exactly what I did with the Montana fragrance, bought it from Perfume-To-Go or something in the U.S from ebay because I couldn't get it here. I think I know just how you feel. Just the thought of having that perfume again and I was back in the heaven that 1986 was for me. The fact that the perfume stunk in 2006 is neither here nor there! Yours might be wonderful and I hope when you find Balahe it is. If it's not too extortionate costwise go for it - you'll never know otherwise!

You lovely little enabler!

I might just order a bottle one of these days...

You'll never believe this but Balahé is being sold in Anttila for quite a nice price.

I used to wear it in the 80's, too, and liked it a lot but gave what was left of my bottle away 10 years ago.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 2nd January 2009 at 08:26 AM.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Institution

I craved Magie Noire recently ( I did end up buying a bottle ) which I have always liked - I was so taken by the craving I actually dreamt that I received a gift from my mother of a whole box filled with bottles of Magie Noire- that she had bought me every bottle available in the city ,from every Lancome counter ! *LOL*
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 2nd January 2009 at 09:22 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Oh, how sad--because then you woke up!

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    You'll never believe this but Balahé is being sold in Anttila for quite a nice price.

I used to wear it in the 80's, too, and liked it a lot but gave what was left of my bottle away 10 years ago.

I must bribe a Finnish person into sending me a bottle!

Or wait until I next go to Finland...

Thank you for the info

mysticknot: your dream sounds just like the kind of subconscious obsession I'm on about

Basenotes Institution

purplebird7 and nukapai - oh yeah , I am was so happy when I got that box filled with Magie Noire - it was a shame to get up and find I had none - so I had to get one bottle !

I am also recently getting crazed about really oriental, spicy perfumes like Opium and Tabu. I love Opium and I think I may need some ! Oh No !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 2nd January 2009 at 08:06 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

In a bid to reclaim my youth, I've had a recent urge to go back to Ysatis, which I wore when I was a shoulder-padded glamour puss ... I doubt I will, though, as my partner's mother just bought a bottle (she's in her seventies, and is pretty foxy).
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    In a bid to reclaim my youth, I've had a recent urge to go back to Ysatis, which I wore when I was a shoulder-padded glamour puss ... I doubt I will, though, as my partner's mother just bought a bottle (she's in her seventies, and is pretty foxy).
    Heehee - I wore it in the 80's too, with the shoulder-pads, and solid block colour that today makes me blench. Now, I detect synthetic civet in it which troubles me, and which I swear wasn't there back in the day.

Oh, and I bet your partner's mother could pull off Madame Rochas and Arpege with equal aplomb.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 4th January 2009 at 10:32 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Purplebird, I love your story.

I used to HATE Bal a Verailles. It was an old scent I had smelled in my youth and found boring and thought of it as cheap. I found the bottle tacky and goofy.

But then one day, just out of curiosity, I sniffed a mini I had forgotten about. Ick. Nonetheless. I put a little on my arm. I went around the house (we had a houseful of guests for the weekend) saying to everyone: "Smell this. Isn't it awful? Who would wear this?"

For days, though, when i was all alone, working at home where no one would smell it, I would "sneak" some. I would put it on to go running, then wash it off in the shower--or at least try. The stuff lasts!

It was like I was cheating on l'Heure exquise with Bal à Versailles. I was a little embarrassed, afraid I'd be found out.
    One night I couldn't sleep and was trying hot tea, a book, etc.--nothing worked, and I finally had an urge to smell Bal à versailles. I put a little on and fell asleep.

It was as if I had to make peace with it , come out of thee closet, shout I LOVE YOU BAL A VERSAILLES.

Blog Entries

I love Purplebird's story too! I can't think of many better reasons to make out with a guy than "he smells good."

It's Giorgio for me! My mom and I used to make shopping trips to the Florida east coast when I was in high school. One day we received a smelling strip ad in the mail for the soon to be released new fragrance, and decided it was time for road trip (there were no Bloomies down on the west coast). I loved Giorgio and loved that mom and I were nearly the only two people in a tri-county area wearing it. That lasted only about a year, if I recall correctly, before distribution widened and it was everywhere. We made a number of trips that year though, and came home with lots of bottles, gift sets, and other merchandising goodies. That summer I thought I was really something special-- going to the beach in my red bikini with my yellow and white striped Giorgio beach towel packed into my Giorgio duffel bag. The boys thought so too!

I had to quit wearing it when it became more common than dirt. It annoyed me that I was suddenly smelling my signature scent on everybody! But recently, I've been thinking about getting a mini bottle and see what thoughts and feelings come back to me from that era. I don't know if I could wear it in public again though-- it is Giorgio after all!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I usually get these crazy fantasies of wearing something I know I won't/didn't like while reading the blogs (have you ever gone through the new releases on Now smell this?) and Basenotes! But aside from that, I have a craving for Windsong and Byzance lately, which is unexplicable; I don't even understand what started it, but it's strong. I might have to break down and get a mini of each. For starters.

Purplebird, your patchouli story was great fun
    Last edited by Alexandrie; 5th January 2009 at 08:39 AM.

love these stories, especially purplebird's, I confess I have flashbacks whenever I get a whiff of hippie patchouli when strolling through the art museums in NY. It never fails that SOMEONE is wearing it, it seems.

other fantasies involve Hypnotic Poison and Angel is my recurring love hate relationship..
    I'm repelled by it, and yet now and then I WANT it, something I am not proud of. no offense to Angel lovers. It's not her, it's me.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 5th January 2009 at 11:04 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Hippie patchouli and hippie musk will always be aphrodisiacs for me! I guess I associate them with free love!

What intrigues me about your post, Purplebird, is that you blend two (until now ) unrelated guilty (and not necessarily fantasy) pleasures; the patchouli scent and the kissing a stranger.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 5th January 2009 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Oh, and I bet your partner's mother could pull off Madame Rochas and Arpege with equal aplomb.
    Not exactly, VM. Previously, she was given to wearing Giorgio and .... Tommy Girl!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    Purplebird, I love your story.

I used to HATE Bal a Verailles. It was an old scent I had smelled in my youth and found boring and thought of it as cheap. I found the bottle tacky and goofy.

But then one day, just out of curiosity, I sniffed a mini I had forgotten about. Ick. Nonetheless. I put a little on my arm. I went around the house (we had a houseful of guests for the weekend) saying to everyone: "Smell this. Isn't it awful? Who would wear this?"

For days, though, when i was all alone, working at home where no one would smell it, I would "sneak" some. I would put it on to go running, then wash it off in the shower--or at least try. The stuff lasts!

It was like I was cheating on l'Heure exquise with Bal à Versailles. I was a little embarrassed, afraid I'd be found out.
    One night I couldn't sleep and was trying hot tea, a book, etc.--nothing worked, and I finally had an urge to smell Bal à versailles. I put a little on and fell asleep.

It was as if I had to make peace with it , come out of thee closet, shout I LOVE YOU BAL A VERSAILLES.
    What an excellent story!

I'm tempted to suggest that we should put together a book of these stories from all of us.... (could be easy to get it self-published through Lulu.com)

You know, I had a stint with Ysatis; it has a sort of distinct personality that has never been seen in any other scent (at least not to my knowledge), mercifully, perhaps.

Balahe de Leonard!.....been a long time. I had a bottle of the pure parfum in the '80s. It was the most distinctive bottle I'd ever seen, a talismanic chunk of obsidian-like black glass, pitted and textured as though it had broken off a meteorite. And that red silk cord knotted around it - like a piece of mischief and sorcery just waiting to be untied and released. I've smelled the eau de parfum that is circulating these days, and if it's a reformulation, then it's a successful one. It's a beautiful scent, ripe and plummy and unabashed in its abundant character. The parfum had a bit more of a violet note and also something that smelled like wet granite.

My guilty memory is of the time I wore Inoui by Shiseido in extrait form on a (first and only) date with the Irish dude who was landscaping my parents' garden. He leaned over and took a whiff and then he pulled the truck over to the side of the road. The rest of the story is much like purplebird's, except with a lilting brogue!